This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
    hmmm, I hope that doesn't happen with the recruits in my barracks, (i stress, if used in a derogatory fashion), within earshot of me, because whichever NCO mutters it will be knocked the f**k out in front of his "recruits", then they will all know just how effective a sandbag can be... and he can have my beret too as a token of my appreciation.
    It's just a word. If RDF can display proper deportment, competence and willingness to learn it will remove the use of the word. Attacking someone for using a word you deem offensive will just reinforce the stereotype. We call ourselves sandbags occasionally

Hahah Sandbag!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Na, we refer to ourselves as baggers etc sometimes, and yes, theres a certain amount of namecalling, knicknaming, etc in the DF that comes as a given.

however Ive heard from mates who've gone over the wall (into the PDF) that they were pretty much labeled as baggers from day one and it was sometimes used in such a way as to say that - not even a bagger could cock it up like that - or - even a bagger could make a better job of it - etc... although this years cadet class is something like 30% "baggers" so you rambo's are probably all doomed.

were not all incompetents and some of us even iron our uniforms and polish our boots occasionally, hell we even remember to wear name tags, rank markings and - well would you believe it, I think thats a number one field dressing on my shoulder... however, ive witnessed even these basic traits lacking with some troops so can see where one could use it as the lowest common denominator in a comparison...

What im talking about is, that if im in front of my own troops instructing them and overhear it being used - one can often hear PDF NCOs in the same vicinity, "instructing" the recruits - in an unsavoury manner, I would be pretty pi$$ed off and would have to follow up on it.
      Last edited by morpheus; 15 May 2013, 11:28.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

hmmm, I hope that doesn't happen with the recruits in my barracks, (i stress, if used in a derogatory fashion), within earshot of me, because whichever NCO mutters it will be knocked the f**k out in front of his "recruits", then they will all know just how effective a sandbag can be... and he can have my beret too as a token of my appreciation.
        It was said with emphasis when we walked past by a training nco to the pdf recruits and it was used in the "even a bagger couldn't fcuk it up that much" sense all through recruit training.
        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
        He put a bullet through his brain.
        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

I heard a story years ago about an ARW selection course, lined up on Plunkett Square
          As a body of FCA troops marched by with 0.303s at the slope, one of the candidates
          smirked and muttered words to the effect of:

"Look at those f***ing baggers with their wooden guns..."

unfortunately for him, one of the ARW DSs heard him, stood in front of him and snarled:

"I could blow your head off at 600 yards with that f***ing 'wooden gun' - fall out and grab your kit, you're binned..."

No argument, just gone...

A bit of two way respect will go a long way. To date, my experience of the PDF bods at my location ahs been nothing but positive
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

i,d imagine thats one of them urban legends

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
              i,d imagine thats one of them urban legends
              Could be but it makes a good point regardless
              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
              He put a bullet through his brain.
              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                Could be but it makes a good point regardless
                about the gun or the rdf?????????????

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I have to say that in the military there will always be slagging, from REMFs to inter service rivalry.. just look across the water...

if "bagger" is the worst thing someone can think of to call us, well its not really that bad i guess...

we could always just start calling everyone else a "crap hat" ( at least those of you not in a green beret )

note: funnily enough, this leaves out the most dangerous group of individuals too...
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I have to say that in the military there will always be slagging, from REMFs to inter service rivalry.. just look across the water...

if "bagger" is the worst thing someone can think of to call us, well its not really that bad i guess...

we could always just start calling everyone else a "crap hat" ( at least those of you not in a green beret )

note: funnily enough, this leaves out the most dangerous group of individuals too...
                    who the mp,s

MOD: Thread closed

Comment

Working...
                    X