Polishing Linkers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Linkers?

oh my god - are you insane? polishing a combat boot like that!

you get a decent amount of polish onto it to protect the leather and leave it on there - job done.

no need to brush polish off combat boots like Magnums.

if you are going to shine boots - do it properly but not to Magnums.

RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

/\
    ¦

They. Are. Beautiful.

I had them clean the first day of camp, and was told to polish them. So I did as i was told.
    Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 6 July 2010, 23:25.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Were they your boots RGJ? They are the most beautiful thing i've seen this week.

*edit* Second most beautiful. You'd never know if the girlfriend'd read this...*edit*
      Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 4 July 2010, 01:16.
      Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

are they 24B's RGJ? I have my linkers like that, well, getting there anyway!
        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
        He put a bullet through his brain.
        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Those are ammo boots, and no, they're not RGJ's. That's the standard that the foot guards hold themselves to, and it's done by doing some very unusual things with beeswax and blowtorches to stiffen the leather and prevent cracking.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
            Were they your boots RGJ? They are the most beautiful thing i've seen this week...
            I'm a Rifleman, not a Guardsman Edmund!!!

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            Those are ammo boots, and no, they're not RGJ's. That's the standard that the foot guards hold themselves to, and it's done by doing some very unusual things with beeswax and blowtorches to stiffen the leather and prevent cracking.
            spot on Barry - any self respecting Green Jacket would never own a pair of magnificent highly polished ammo boots like those. while they are admittedly absolutely fantastic - this is as you rightly put it - the domain of the Foot Guards.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
              any pics of your parade boots then RGJ?
              my 'Parade Boots' are steel tipped patent leather 'George Boots' - they are as shiny as shiny can be and have never ever had a brush of polish on them other than a squirt of Mr Sheen after a Regimental Dinner night.

in true Green Jacket tradition - "...all that's necessary and nothing that is not..."

Riflemen aren't famous for bulling boots - that would be considered 'bullsh|t' and Green Jackets don't do that kind of thing. there are plenty of Red Coats willing to spend endless hours getting it just right - and fair play to them, they do it very well indeed.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 5 July 2010, 00:29.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                my 'Parade Boots' are steel tipped patent leather 'George Boots' - they are as shiny as shiny can be and have never ever had a brush of polish on them other than a squirt of Mr Sheen after a Regimental Dinner night.

in true Green Jacket tradition - "...all that's necessary and nothing that is not..."

Riflemen aren't famous for bulling boots - that would be considered 'bullsh|t' and Green Jackets don't do that kind of thing. there are plenty of Red Coats willing to spend endless hours getting it just right - and fair play to them, they do it very well indeed.
                yep, we have the patent leather ones now, but i have polished them. got a good shine on them too, would post a pic up but they're in dublin :( (note, its not the standard method of polishing them, involves water, parade gloss, yellow dusters, cotton wool pads and circular motions )

Comment

I hate those yellow dusters, they snag on small imperfections and leave fibers all over the boot, the polich, water, cotton wool and flame method always worked for me

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                    yep, we have the patent leather ones now, but i have polished them. got a good shine on them too, would post a pic up but they're in dublin :( (note, its not the standard method of polishing them, involves water, parade gloss, yellow dusters, cotton wool pads and circular motions )

you do NOT polish patent leather boots - EVER!

that's because they are patent and that's why they are patent!!!
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

you do NOT polish patent leather boots - EVER!

that's because they are patent and that's why they are patent!!!
                      ive seen lots of patent leather boots polished. looks far better. much better shine

Comment

If you don't polish patent they look shabby. even raindrops can leave a residue on them that unless tackled quickly can leave a permanent stain.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

it's like painting glass - if something is already shinier than shiny - how can you polish it?

the chemicals in the boot polish break down the patent finish.

i've had these boots for nearly 15 years - they have every type of alcohol known to man spilt on them as well as a variety of food from all over the world and they are still fantastic - all i ever do is wipe them with a wet cloth and a quick squirt of Mr Sheen and they are immaculate again.

the instructions i got with them even said NEVER apply boot polish!!

here are a couple of pics of them straight out of my wardrobe with a quick rub of a duster:

i dunno why any one would ever polish a patent leather boot - all you are doing is polishing ever and hiding the already really shiny leather.

the idea of patent leather boots is that they look shiny WITHOUT polishing them!

that's why Green Jackets love them and are allowed wear them 'on parade'.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 5 July 2010, 19:19.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                            I hate those yellow dusters, they snag on small imperfections and leave fibers all over the boot, the polich, water, cotton wool and flame method always worked for me
                            Have you tried a chamois ? excellent for bulling boots
                            Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

it's like painting glass - if something is already shinier than shiny - how can you polish it?

the chemicals in the boot polish break down the patent finish.

the instructions i got with them even said NEVER apply boot polish!!
                              You must still maintain them. Usually with a cream based polish.
                              Check your instructions again.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X