Warship? (TV Documentary, Ch4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warship? (TV Documentary, Ch4)

Has anyone seen the most recent effort at Documentaries aboard Royal Naval Vessels?

This time its a 3 parter aboard HMS Ocean. The largest vessel in the Royal Navy (their words).
    It joins the ship and it's crew as it leaves the UK and transits through the med, on its way to Join the USN in the Gulf.
    What's clear from episode 1 is Ocean is mechanically unsound, and not fit for purpose. RN discipline also seems quite lax, with a mech apprentice wandering, in overalls into the wardroom to fix a socket, with no supervision from either her branch or the wardroom staff. Another mech apprentice hangs off a stepladder watching as her colleagues rebuild a cylinder head.
    Within the episode they mention how other navies would look at the RN ships and think "Oh- I don't think I'll take them on", without much in the way of evidence to support this assertion. The "Warship" is a hastily built lightly armed helicopter carrying ship, that is in urgent need of replacement after only 20 years service.

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

To be fair, Ocean was ONLY designed for less than 20 years of operation as far as I understand (and most likely wasn't intended to end up the Flagship during that period), she's built to commercial standards to keep costs down and has then been used hard.
    As to the attitude, well I don't think the RN PR section would be too happy if said personnel started cracking jokes about the 45's breaking down or the 26's still being vapourware...

Comment

If anyone watched "Navy School" you wouldn't be too far off the mark if you though they were Sea Scouts.

I haven't managed to watch the complete first episode but one of those apprentices was under 18 and they were saying that if the vessel was to go into a warzone she had to be removed..... Ocean was on her way to the Gulf

Comment

have you a better link to watch ,,, nearly have to give bank account details to get this one ..

Comment

HMS Ocean has already been offered to Brasil which looks like purchasing it. They bought the second French TCD last year, Chile bought the first TCD. Brasil has also signed a significant contract with South Korea for construction of a new naval base and new LPD. HMS Ocean purchased so Brasil can claim to be only Latin America navy with a 'carrier'
          ....former French CV now condemned and withdraw.
          Sarsfield

Comment

Originally posted by Sarsfield View Post
            HMS Ocean has already been offered to Brasil which looks like purchasing it. They bought the second French TCD last year, Chile bought the first TCD. Brasil has also signed a significant contract with South Korea for construction of a new naval base and new LPD. HMS Ocean purchased so Brasil can claim to be only Latin America navy with a 'carrier'
            ....former French CV now condemned and withdraw.
            Other than National Ego, what is Brazil's driving force here? Buying the CV was insane imo given it's age and limitations, and now an Amphib whose end of lifing? I mean I know like India they can put her into reduce operations compared to how the RN is using her to sustain her but still, why? Wasn't there some talk a while back about them going in with the French on SSN's?

Comment

As far as I know, Brasil has ring fenced the SAAB/ EMBRAER J39 and the DCNS SSN's. HMS OCEAN is to ensure Brazilian capabilities in mass helicopter amphibious and ASW operations. Brazilian plans for a major naval expansion [ including new DCNS CV, Korean AAW Destroyers] beached due to economic implosion.
              Sarsfield

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                If anyone watched "Navy School" you wouldn't be too far off the mark if you though they were Sea Scouts.

I haven't managed to watch the complete first episode but one of those apprentices was under 18 and they were saying that if the vessel was to go into a warzone she had to be removed..... Ocean was on her way to the Gulf
                Maybe they will ready in time to sail this boat;

Comment

Good programme about the Royal Navy. Pity RTÉ doesn't do something similar with the naval service. Even though the migrant crisis show was okay, the naval service role played second fiddle to those economic migrants being rescued

Comment

Originally posted by ibenji View Post
                    Good programme about the Royal Navy. Pity RTÉ doesn't do something similar with the naval service. Even though the migrant crisis show was okay, the naval service role played second fiddle to those economic migrants being rescued
                    It was probably the best programme ever made about the DF

Comment

I agree. And the €€€ owed to crew's materialised since the broadcast. Result

Comment

It was good but it didn't show the weeks of preparation, planning and length of voyage etc required to get there in the first instance. I think that it would good to show all of the defence forces in their day to day role as well and increased awareness will lead to greater public awareness and ultimately increased Df funding

Comment

on the warship the x.o. is going around lower decks telling ratings where to go,,shows poor drill as once a pipe goes out you go to your assigned station ,,, had to laugh at the lads doing the rubbish../gash.... for extra money ,,,

Comment

anyone got link for last episode

Comment

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/warship not working?
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                              X