No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bn im with now have been winning all army for last few years. Its been pushed from the CO. As was mentioned as long as medals and trophies are coming they will be happy. As for courses we usually get an email the day before closing date or sometimes even after.
    Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thats not aimed at you merely at shortsightedness re troops

YE ILSW run all the time SP Coy wpns run all the time, dvr courses run all the time, Reg sigs run all the time , what courses would you and troops be interested in ?
    Last edited by trellheim; 4 July 2018, 11:24.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thats not aimed at you merely at shortsightedness re troops

YE ILSW run all the time SP Coy wpns run all the time, dvr courses run all the time, Reg sigs run all the time , what courses would you and troops be interested in ?
      They do but:
      - are they reserve friendly ?
      - is adequate notice given ?
      - is that notice actually given to the people who can apply ?

The major issue is comms. If people get it through word of mouth that is half the battle but if the official word doesn’t filter down people cannot apply.

Comment

• "official word filters down" needs some qualification as it brings to mind some magic mike stuff . All the well run subunits pin their courses up on a noticeboard - sure - however any switched on solider looking for a cooks course (say) is well aware miles before it comes out

Much of that stuff in a bn like local courses is coord through the 2ICs office usually in my experience

Comment

"official word filters down" needs some qualification as it brings to mind some magic mike stuff . All the well run subunits pin their courses up on a noticeboard - sure - however any switched on solider looking for a cooks course (say) is well aware miles before it comes out

Much of that stuff in a bn like local courses is coord through the 2ICs office usually in my experience
          You can print Annex R and your units Annex of the ATED up and put it on the board but you still can’t apply until the Cse Notification & JIs reach your G7, S7 and Coy Comd (in that order).

Check PM’s
          Last edited by DeV; 4 July 2018, 14:35.

Comment

• You can print Annex R and your units Annex of the ATED up and put it on the board but you still can’t apply until the Cse Notification & JIs reach your G7, S7 and Coy Comd (in that order).
            Stop trying to make it sound difficult, you are just putting up barriers with that. That process can happen in minutes if required - seen it happen more than a few times. Also for some its not that route but a different one.

Comment

Stop trying to make it sound difficult, you are just putting up barriers with that. That process can happen in minutes if required - seen it happen more than a few times. Also for some its not that route but a different one.
              I’m not that’s the (broken) system

If everything is going good it can happen in seconds from G7 to Coy Comds yes (obviously it isn’t the same system for all depending on the type of unit your in, mine and yours are different obviously).

But this is what we are up against

Check PM’s (and you know how many Cses I’m involved in annually)

Comment

• I'm going to be annoying here and show my newbie stripes once again but what types of courses can reservists go on?

Are there specific courses for those in RDF or can you also go on PDF courses. I'm assuming most PDF courses are a few weeks in length so would most of these be out?

My understanding is that an RDF 3 star could never go on a PNCO PDF course due to the course's length going beyond the limit for the number of man days allowed in a year?

Comment

• I'm going to be annoying here and show my newbie stripes once again but what types of courses can reservists go on?

Are there specific courses for those in RDF or can you also go on PDF courses. I'm assuming most PDF courses are a few weeks in length so would most of these be out?

My understanding is that an RDF 3 star could never go on a PNCO PDF course due to the course's length going beyond the limit for the number of man days allowed in a year?

Good question. RDF and PDF have their own specific career courses . Also its unlikely SOF Mod 1 will be good value for money for the DF , or Ordnance Officer ; why put you through a 2 year course - doesnt make sense at all. Other than that - if you can get the time , and the CO has your back ,, and you meet the minimums for that course, go for it.

Comment

• Have to back up DeV - unless you are in a good unit or have the contacts, you may never hear about courses.

I have been in units where the ATD was on the Notice Board, along with Course Notifications. Courses would be mentioned during meetings and people would be contacted to ensure they knew about it.

I have also been in units where you knew Jack S&%t. Contacts would pass on course details only for cadre to look at you and ask "Where did you find out about that"? Then whinge and moan about people not going "through the proper channels". You would apply for the course anyway only for paperwork to get lost, be delayed, shredded, whatever excuse possible.

Communications has been the bane of the RDF for years.

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                    I'm going to be annoying here and show my newbie stripes once again but what types of courses can reservists go on?
                    Technically you can do just about any course if you meet the requirements. Time is not a factor once you have permission to go above the maximum amount of mandays.
                    Getting permission, that is another thing - it happens but very rarely.
                    Last edited by Poiuyt; 4 July 2018, 15:49.

Comment

• Getting permission, that is another thing - it happens but very rarely.
                      no it does not I've personally witnessed PDF officers and NCOs going to the well and using huge personal capital to make sure RDF people got on courses on a daily basis.

One of the big negatives for us then is (some people ) failing to turn up on said courses or see them through , never seen anything sour a relationship so fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                        Have to back up DeV - unless you are in a good unit or have the contacts, you may never hear about courses.

I have been in units where the ATD was on the Notice Board, along with Course Notifications. Courses would be mentioned during meetings and people would be contacted to ensure they knew about it.

I have also been in units where you knew Jack S&%t. Contacts would pass on course details only for cadre to look at you and ask "Where did you find out about that"? Then whinge and moan about people not going "through the proper channels". You would apply for the course anyway only for paperwork to get lost, be delayed, shredded, whatever excuse possible.

Communications has been the bane of the RDF for years.

Technically you can do just about any course if you meet the requirements. Time is not a factor once you have permission to go above the maximum amount of mandays.
                        Getting permission, that is another thing - it happens but very rarely.
                        Agree completely with this. I have served in units where the Cadre got the ROs. You only had access to them if you snuck in to the cadre office and looked at them, on the clipboard, hooked to the wall. However if you were unlucky enough that the Cadre CQMS was not in, the office was locked and you got nothing. Other units I have been in had a similar setup but at least let one of the officers have a key to the office. This was fine until a Comdt decided that the Cadre office was his personal office during parades, and the only business you had entering, as an NCO or Junior officer, was to bring him his cuppa.
                        It got worse when things became computerised and you needed access to the computer which was guarded by the Cadre with their lives. Then you would never hear about anything unless it was printed off and left lying about the office.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

no it does not I've personally witnessed PDF officers and NCOs going to the well and using huge personal capital to make sure RDF people got on courses on a daily basis.

One of the big negatives for us then is (some people ) failing to turn up on said courses or see them through , never seen anything sour a relationship so fast.
                          Unit and Individual dependant I suppose.

What would help of course is making pay easier to admin.

CO to approve up to 14 days
                          GOC up to 21 days
                          DJ7 up to 42 days
                          Then DoD

1 form submitted on the 1st Monday of attendance for pay (no nominations etc have to be sent)

Comment

• Rehashing a topic from a few pages ago but I noticed the latest NSR potential officer course has started and has an AB on it. No direct commission but degree must be relevant.

Comment

• Must be.

Comment

• Define relevant for an NSR officer candidate
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X