• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNZN are getting a “new” diving and hydrographic vessel

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      RNZN are getting a “new” diving and hydrographic vessel

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/...ic-vessel-navy
      Makes certain sense to buy an already built vessel that fits the criteria. Should end out cheaper than designing and building from scratch.
      However I wonder about the wisdom of buying a 15 year old ship.

ShipSpotting.com

© eckhard uhrbrock
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

RNZN are getting a “new” diving and hydrographic vessel

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/...ic-vessel-navy
        €60m for a 15yr old ship, the driver can only be the urgent need. Personnally I think it would have been better to get a new purpose built ship even if it takes 3 yrs more.

Glad that we can call on the Celtic Explorer and the ILV Granuaile III, which are around the same size.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
          €60m for a 15yr old ship, the driver can only be the urgent need. Personnally I think it would have been better to get a new purpose built ship even if it takes 3 yrs more.

Glad that we can call on the Celtic Explorer and the ILV Granuaile III, which are around the same size.
          Including any conversion?

Comment

Including any conversion?
            "The project budget for the purchase, modifications and introduction into service of the dive and hydrographic capability is $103 million. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
              Hmm, 9000 tons does open up what it could be, but for €200 million you are still talking a "non frontline ship", there's nothing that would be that size and armed to modern level (ASM, SAM, CWIS, Radar/Sonar) that comes in at that price I'd say. As for where to dock hee, forget Cork City, the docklands area once the Port moves down river will end up as housing, there's no way that it would end up for NS usage. Next question is what about the Dockyard? What off the shelf 9K designs fits into the mouth of the Graving Dock? I don't suppose who ever it was gave any suggestion that we might see any formal movement on things?
              I do like the Enforce family especially as they are based upon a proven design which so far has produced 4 different variants in service today. I would tend to the Enforcer 10000 as a big more ship at little more cost would be good and the larger welldeck is useful. The only two complaints I would have are;
              1. The Hanger/LCVP module is a bit out-dated. I am surprised that Damen have not changed this to a modular mission bay combining their Cross-deck concept with the hanger and moving the stacks outboard. This would give much more mission flexibility.
              2. The lower troop deck is not something we need in that size, we are not in the business of doing invasions (amphib assault). Most of our troops would be flown out to an AoO and not sea-lifted. Some capacity is needed but more of the 150-200 range rather than the 400-600 range currently offered as we would most likely be deploying a company sized force and need to transport all its equipment and initial stores to cover the first weeks of operation. The space would be better utilized in our case for more TEU storage including reefers.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                So coming back to the arguement we cannot get a 9000t EPV/MRV as we have no local drydock, I would think that it should not be a deciding factor.
                Isn’t the argument more that it wouldn’t be able to go alongside at Haulbowline?

Comment

Isn’t the argument more that it wouldn’t be able to go alongside at Haulbowline?
                  Not in the basin, but the Oli wharf could wasily accomodate such a vessel. It already can accomodate 5000t 130m vessels, such as the Canadian destroyer Algonquin, and many of the James Fisher & son Tanker fleet, most of which are in the region of 130m, at 12000DWT.

Comment

Ok not sure about services but if we purchased a MRV (or OPV) from a non-EU country under WTO rules there is 0% duty - HTC 890610 / 89069010

Edit - you got there before me
                    It seems that the one thing world wide which has zero tariff is any weapon system! Have to watch for garlic being import marked as bombs!

Comment

• National naval Berthage

Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                      Not in the basin, but the Oli wharf could wasily accomodate such a vessel. It already can accomodate 5000t 130m vessels, such as the Canadian destroyer Algonquin, and many of the James Fisher & son Tanker fleet, most of which are in the region of 130m, at 12000DWT.
                      In linear terms, after delivery of GBS and before the MRV, we need 726metres of quay space plus about 80/100 metres of wriggle room , making 826 metres to have all ships at their own berth. An examination of The Harbour Acts 1996 shows the Minister has made no provision for the appropriation of berths as provided for in the Acts of 1946 Part 5 para 55. However the 1996 Act does make a Saving provision for Irish lights retaining such rights for them as historically enjoyed. It is strange that there are no special provisions for the State's own Navy. In passing the 1996 Act shifts all power to the Harbour boards with delegated controlled power to the Harbour Master.

Comment

• Are we better off just going straight for a frigate? Type 31e is looking to be coming in at roughly the same as what we have budgeted for the EPV/MRV, and we would benefit from the suppliers being mostly UK based.
                        Project director reveals 70% of Type 31e candidate will be British built
                        Up to 70% of the Project Leander supply chain is British, the project director tells the UK Defence Journal.
                        Cammell Laird yesterday announced that it has built a network of more than 2,000 suppliers as it steps up its bid to build the Type 31e frigate.
                        The shipyard and engineering services company says it is registering more than five new suppliers every week as it builds its Leander Frigate supply chain. After I contacted Cammel Laird, the Leander project director Tony Graham was able to tell me that ‘circa 70%’ of the supply chain is British.
                        He also confirmed earlier reports that Cammel Laird has received a ‘MoD Prior Information Notice’ to confirm the Type 31e programme has been restarted.
                        When asked whether the latest supply chain developments would have any impact on the per-ship cost, he simply stated that he’s ‘committed to achieving the customers’ £250M UPC’.
                        He finally told me that it could ‘take a couple of years’ before the supply chain is mature and complete. None of the 2,000 supplies he’s recruited will receive contracts from Cammel Laird until the MoD contract has been signed. He also stated that depending on when that is, he may have ‘export customers to consider at that time’
                        Up to 70% of the Project Leander supply chain is British, the project director tells the UK Defence Journal. 

Discover the storied history of the Leander Frigate, a maritime legend that left an enduring mark on naval traditions and seafaring adventures.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                          Are we better off just going straight for a frigate? Type 31e is looking to be coming in at roughly the same as what we have budgeted for the EPV/MRV, and we would benefit from the suppliers being mostly UK based.

Up to 70% of the Project Leander supply chain is British, the project director tells the UK Defence Journal. 

http://www.leanderfrigate.com/
                          Well 250 is still more than what we planned, and that's not the true cost of the 31 anyway, given the contract states there's to be pull through from the 23's (I'm guessing radar, VLS system, possibly the 4.5"). What the true cost of a 31 will be is still to be worked out.

As for what we should go for, again 200/250 million euros isn't going to fund a full capable hull, and would still be limited.

Comment

• €160 million was the ballpark figure given by senior naval people not so long ago for the supposed MRV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                              €160 million was the ballpark figure given by senior naval people not so long ago for the supposed MRV.
                              If that is the upper band of what we will spend there's no chance of getting a Frigate of any value.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                                €160 million was the ballpark figure given by senior naval people not so long ago for the supposed MRV.
                                That was when the OPV, which ended up costing just over €100m each, were supposed to cost €80m

Comment

Working...
                                X