No announcement yet.

The DF & An Bord Snip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No but I was at a brief that stated it so. It was mooted but was stopped due to empire protecting by the corps. If i am wrong you can remind me.

Comment

• The rumour that one of the Dublin Bn's will be going is starting to gain speed around these parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Nope. It is permanently manned by Bn Hq staff, 32 RIB.
        That isn't a permanent occupied post in the sense of the phrase. A permanently occupied post is a PDF barracks eg Cathal Brugha Bks or Collins Bks (Cork).

Comment

• It isn't "manned as a full time barracks". I'm just pointing it out.. it would be classified as a Sluagh Hall but with more facilities.

Comment

• Not really.

The PDF there do duties, same as in a "normal" barracks.
            If it a sluagh hall of sorts, then it must be the costliest to run in the country.

If you ring tralee any hour of day or night, the phone "should" be answered. Try that in a sluagh hall.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Not really.

The PDF there do duties, same as in a "normal" barracks.
              If it a sluagh hall of sorts, then it must be the costliest to run in the country.

If you ring tralee any hour of day or night, the phone "should" be answered. Try that in a sluagh hall.
              The "duties" that the cadre lads do in Tralee are a bluff job.They do their real Regimental duties in Sarsfield.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• It must make sense to amalgamate a no of units and have up to strength Units with a reduced officer corps , less numbers in admin , stores , lead swingers etc etc. Also consolidate training at one location , Curragh . Close a few barracks, For a small DF it si too scattered , too many units , a high officer to Men ratio and probably a relaiverly low percentage of front line deployable troops. However when were decisions ever made based on military capability and efficency

Comment

• Anyone know the latest on Tralee, Lahinch, Bare Island, Castlebar(closed I believe)? Are there any other locations like these?

From an RDF point of view as the number of fulltime locations close and the remaining locations have to house extra troops, stores, equipemnt, etc and taking into account the time window for FTT, mainly late June to mid August, locations/space for RDF FTT must be becoming an issue.

I have no direct knowledge, but there is one location that houses an Inf Bn, all the CS and CSS units and I assume HQ elements, etc for the BDE so I would assume that space is at a premium there. Maybe that's why some of the above are kept open, at least for the short term.

IMHO I can see a cull of the RDF coming. As I've said before the DOD has a good opportunity now with all the doom and gloom and cutbacks. I think the major reason why the RDF will not be completely closed down is because it would be an extremely difficult task to rebuild it years down the road, if the need arose. Also there would be the loss of appointments, handy for the pension and grat.
                  I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                  Who is number 1?

Comment

• The list of properties in the DF Portfolio was covered recently in a Dail PQ; check the PQ thread.

I would note that VFM Review is in progress, and a considerable cost of our grant-in-aid would go to heating and lighting, where we own the land.

Now, if you looked at VFM On the Debit Side, [ i.e the accountants lookout ] then cost-of-the-RDF is damn cheap for what you get; the problem there is defining "what-you-get" [ i.e the Credit side ].

If I remember rightly the largest component for us is Cadre pay, but that is not broken down as part of our subhead, only actual RDF Pay is. Depends on whether Cadre pay will form part of the VFM "Terms-of-Reference". Has anyone seen that TOR ?
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      The list of properties in the DF Portfolio was covered recently in a Dail PQ; check the PQ thread.
                      Here ya go. Makes you wonder
                      Attached Files
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                        Here ya go. Makes you wonder
                        What a waste of money!!!
                        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

• Thanks for the list Zulu, makes interesting reading.
                          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                          Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                            ...and taking into account the time window for FTT, mainly late June to mid August, locations/space for RDF FTT must be becoming an issue....
                            Have always wondered this.... WHY does FTT have to be concentrated
                            in this timeframe, with the remainder of the year left idle ?
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Interesting that Lahinch and Tralee are listed as "Training Locations"...
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Compare our list with comparable size force such as New Zealand or the Royal Marines.

The amount of locations around the country is about as money efficient as a sieve is at holding water
                                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                                X