Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
    "Paddy came to 22SAS in 1966..."
    Sixteen years in the SAS is no mean achievement...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      I read somewhere that Bofors were deployed with ONUC (not sure if they were Irish or not).
      The Swedes took Tunnans to the Congo to deal with the Fougas. I dunno if they took them over before or after Jadotville.

And as has been pointed out the French deployed fast air in Chad and as mentioned, the Leb only the Yids had any kind of airpower- so taking anything over there would serve to annoy them more than anything else.
      But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
        The Swedes took Tunnans to the Congo to deal with the Fougas. I dunno if they took them over before or after Jadotville.

And as has been pointed out the French deployed fast air in Chad and as mentioned, the Leb only the Yids had any kind of airpower- so taking anything over there would serve to annoy them more than anything else.
        What's your point?
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

The Israelis regarded Lebanese airspace as theirs, in effect, and demanded that the UN always notify/ask permission for their Hueys to fly and the Israelis were not above denying UN flights under threat of shootdown. As far as I know, they even destroyed some of the Hueys on the ground. Which is why, the UN personnel always operated under the permanent threat of Israeli air attack.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

In Apr 1980 some of the Italair Helis were damaged when the DFF shelled UNIFIL HQ in Naqoura. This was shortly after the incident in At-Tiri when a DFF half track was destroyed by Irishbatt.

Comment

i know we have Stingers, but in all my time in the British Army i've never seen a Stinger but we do regularly deploy in training and on operations with the HVM, even on exercise the RA guys will always be found on the high-ground around the battalion providing top cover whilst Rapier would be seen in the more important AOR's containing other key installations.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 15 January 2011, 19:32.
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                The Israelis regarded Lebanese airspace as theirs, in effect, and demanded that the UN always notify/ask permission for their Hueys to fly and the Israelis were not above denying UN flights under threat of shootdown. As far as I know, they even destroyed some of the Hueys on the ground. Which is why, the UN personnel always operated under the permanent threat of Israeli air attack.
                regards
                GttC
                A reason to deploy with at least a token AA capability, I would have thought? (not that I am expert on international diplomacy in relation to UN missions, I hasten to add).
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Holy thread resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X