Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would say that is when the 20 tonne crane on the roof becomes worthwhile. In the circumstances I'm sure the engineer corps could come up with some temporary solution.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• ]Are the berths at Rushbrook dockyard unsuitable ? , and how feasible would it be to widen the entrance to the basin at Haulbowline .
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Thought I was joking, when it occured to me first, but there's an excellent and entirely unused ro-ro facility at Dún Laoighaire. Even has a marshalling yard in excess of 1,000 lane-metres. Closer to The Curragh too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
          Are the berths at Rushbrook dockyard unsuitable ? , and how feasible would it be to widen the entrance to the basin at Haulbowline .
          Not feasable at all. Listed structure, cofferdam for entire basin to allow works on entrance, doing so would put the entire basin out of use for a couple of years, at best.

I'm sure the owners of Rushbrooke dockyard would have no problem at all leasing out the idle former fit out berth should the Naval service , and DoD so require. It is also a very secure berth, 200m Long with great depth. Port of Cork occasionally use the western quay for handling cargo, but there is still plenty of space for a 130m vessel, if sought.

Of more concern is where the ship would be drydocked when necessary. Rushbrooke is too narrow. Yards in France seem to offer the best solution. Brexit will rule out most UK yards, unless Scotland goes independant.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
            Thought I was joking, when it occured to me first, but there's an excellent and entirely unused ro-ro facility at Dún Laoighaire. Even has a marshalling yard in excess of 1,000 lane-metres. Closer to The Curragh too.
            Stena removed the link span a few years ago, if anything Rosslare has plenty of Ro/Ro capacity available .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
              Stena removed the link span a few years ago, if anything Rosslare has plenty of Ro/Ro capacity available .
              Hope the UK parliament would be ok with using it for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarsfield View Post
                Hangar for 4 , flight deck for 2 , all our AW 139 Wolfhounds! Ah if only we had bought ones with auto folding blades. NB, remember Eithne's hangar was wide enough for Dauphins to not need to fold their rotors.
                Eithnes hanger needed the Dauphin to fold its rotors... believe me on this one.....
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Eithnes hanger needed the Dauphin to fold its rotors... believe me on this one.....
                  No worries. It was a conversation that was between naval officers but it was a long time ago and my memory has let me down. If anyone has photos of the hanger then and now it would be interesting to see them.
                  Sarsfield

Comment

• The folding rotor thing is losing the run of ourselves at the moment though.

If I remember correctly, the white paper says land on facilities for a chopper, not necessarily hangerage. While the Vard illustration shows two hangers, there is no reason to believe that the hangers will be used for the ships own chopper, or that the ships own chopper would actually be the AW139.

In the event that this was to be the case, although there are photos out there of AW139's from either Malta or Cyprus doing touch and go off a helideck in a pretty calm med, I'm not sure that there are any navalised AW139's in operation with any force. Most Naval AW's seem to be used for SAR from land bases.

Remembering the Dauphins, wasn't there a Harpoon, different instrumentation and also strengthened under carriages, provided on the two naval versions?

I'm no expert, but to me the under carriage on the AW139s seems both too small, too short and too weak to bang off a metal deck in SS 4/6 in the north Atlantic despite the ship size.
                    Last edited by Herald; 14 May 2019, 20:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                      The folding rotor thing is losing the run of ourselves at the moment though.

If I remember correctly, the white paper says land on facilities for a chopper, not necessarily hangerage. While the Vard illustration shows two hangers, there is no reason to believe that the hangers will be used for the ships own chopper, or that the ships own chopper would actually be the AW139.

In the event that this was to be the case, although there are photos out there of AW139's from either Malta or Cyprus doing touch and go off a helideck in a pretty calm med, I'm not sure that there are any navalised AW139's in operation with any force. Most Naval AW's seem to be used for SAR from land bases.

Remembering the Dauphins, wasn't there a Harpoon, different instrumentation and also strengthened under carriages, provided on the two naval versions?

I'm no expert, but to me the under carriage on the AW139s seems both too small, too short and too weak to bang off a metal deck in SS 4/6 in the north Atlantic despite the ship size.
                      “Whilst this ship will not carry a helicopter. It will be enabled for helicopter operations....”

Comment

• Would the hanger / flight deck give the flexibility to use UAV's in the future. They do seem to be the coming thing, and would presumably be under the control of the service using them, doing away with inter-service rivalry.
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                          Would the hanger / flight deck give the flexibility to use UAV's in the future. They do seem to be the coming thing, and would presumably be under the control of the service using them, doing away with inter-service rivalry.
                          They would, but the model /illustration has two positions on the Helideck, so over kill for UAV's. I can see the value of the Heli decks and hangers, and lets not forget that UAVs don't have the same value as a manned chopper on some of the missions that the EPV is targeted at, HADR/Hospital ship/ EUBG deployment etc.

I'm just chewing the fat here really though, with the illustration coming to light, it throws up various questions with the Hangers included, do we use the Aws for just touch on/touch off? are the hangers for the choppers? are they maybe looking at more proven naval choppers? Or is it a case that tird party units could land on, and base off the ship for periods?

Also, will the Tender be with an option for a second ship? (And the ramifications for manpower and numbers etc). Better that it was than have a little orphan Eithne situation .........

In any case, the situation regarding equipment has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 21 years.

Comment

• I'd advise reading between the lines regarding actual deployments: no Irish air component, troops yes, APC's yes, helicopters: provided by them out foreign.

Not that there won't be photo ops.

Comment

• Dammit, I'm thinking this is probably the nearest thing to an Irish Aircraft carrier I'll see in my lifetime, and yez had to rain on my parade!!

Comment

• Look we all know that the surge capability of the A******ule F-35B's is there.

But the black budget isn't going to extend to folding rotors.

Comment

Working...
                                X