No announcement yet.

new boots needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admittedly I haven't seen any new non steel toecapped magnums recently I had hoped it was a rumour...it's true?
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      Admittedly I haven't seen any new non steel toecapped magnums recently I had hoped it was a rumour...it's true?
      As far as I know, what Midnight Oil said is true.

Steel toe capped Magnums are what's on issue now. Along with steel toe capped Haix. Sure, who wouldn't want to do PT's and head out on the ground in steel toe capped boots?
      Last edited by Fridge Magnet; 23 July 2013, 17:03.

Comment

Just to put that rumour to bed right away.The two steel toe capped Op and light Op boots previously only on issue to Arty/Engrs(haix and magnum) and the normal Op and light Op boots have all been replaced with "Composite toe"(kevlar) variants of the magnum and haix.Why buy four different boots when two will do?On issue to all arms.Their is no major weight difference between the old magnums and the new ones.My current magnums are C.T and they are grand.Better for public order ops in warm climates also.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The Haix on issue now, as in the Arty/Engineers style, are absolute ****ing clogs and Magnums are **** all use, "composite toe" or not.

We no longer have a pair of boots on issue remotely suitable for the ground. So soldiers who value their feet will once again have to shell out money to pick up the slack.

Comment

The Haix on issue now, as in the Arty/Engineers style, are absolute ****ing clogs and Magnums are **** all use, "composite toe" or not.
            Gotta disagree.Yes the new Haix are a bit more bulky but to say the magnums are F'all use is wrong.If you are on a P.O Pln overseas in warm weather where you must wear black boots that's where they would come into their own.Back in KFOR on my summer trip before the magnums went on issue lads used to buy soft toe magnums to wear doing P.O Ops.The alternative was to wear the old matterhorns or the newer Haix and cook your feet.The advantage was cooler feet but the toe cap was unsuited to P.O.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              Gotta disagree.Yes the new Haix are a bit more bulky but to say the magnums are F'all use is wrong.If you are on a P.O Pln overseas in warm weather where you must wear black boots that's where they would come into their own.Back in KFOR on my summer trip before the magnums went on issue lads used to buy soft toe magnums to wear doing P.O Ops.The alternative was to wear the old matterhorns or the newer Haix and cook your feet.The advantage was cooler feet but the toe cap was unsuited to P.O.
              So what happens when you do anything other than Public Order training? You're not gonna take to the hills in a pair of Magnums. It'd be a brave soul who'd head out on the ground during winter with a pair of Magnums.

The DF doesn't issue remotely suitable boots for use out on the ground. It's grand though cause don't the 2 boots on issue now save the DF money? It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                You can't beat Magnum Elite Spiders for running. They're like runners, and weigh sweet **** all.
                How much are they ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                  So what happens when you do anything other than Public Order training? You're not gonna take to the hills in a pair of Magnums. It'd be a brave soul who'd head out on the ground during winter with a pair of Magnums.

The DF doesn't issue remotely suitable boots for use out on the ground. It's grand though cause don't the 2 boots on issue now save the DF money? It's ridiculous.
                  I would not do it.Prefer my Lowas,even when the ordinary Haix was on issue.Not becasuse it was a bad boot.Just had a bad lacing system.A wing head on my standard course used magnums on the ground and ours was a winter course.He said he preferred how quick they dried out and used goretex socks to keep his feet dry when we would bivvy up.It can be done.I wouldn't recommend using them with large loads in CEMO though.

Comment

I believe the new gucci boot is the AKU, a whole generation of guys who joined the British/Canadian military at a time when the Meindl/Lowa was king have been obsessing over lightweight boots.

Anyone remember when the ankle+ meindl was popular in the late 90s/early 2000s?
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Yep. My HAIX are worn out now so I'm contemplating a replacement plus I need something besides my 24bs ( never got Magnums ) . I did the Lug walk in trail runners and TBH they were perfect so lightweights look like the thing.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        Yep. My HAIX are worn out now so I'm contemplating a replacement plus I need something besides my 24bs ( never got Magnums ) . I did the Lug walk in trail runners and TBH they were perfect so lightweights look like the thing.
                        Are you looking to get purely "military" boots or would you be open to more civvie type boots?

Comment

• something I can wear with in DPMs

Comment

• Lowa Combat GTX.The only show in town.

Comment

• Not exactly lightweights @975gm per boot .....but yes the gucci turbo boot all right. LOWA Zephyrs maybe, 550gm a boot.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                Not exactly lightweights @975gm per boot .....but yes the gucci turbo boot all right. LOWA Zephyrs maybe, 550gm a boot.
                                The Zephyr's are supposedly the dogs bollocks. Alas, RVOps don't stock them in black and I'm awfully weary of ordering off sites I don't really use. If you do go for them, would you be so kind as to let me know where ya ordered from?

Comment

Working...
                                X