All Terrain Vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Terrain Vehicles?

OK, having spent this morning shovelling over a foot of snow from around my car, and with neighbours assisting in clearing the roads within our estate, only to be thwarted in any journey by what are still terrible driving conditions in this part of the country, I can't help wondering, why does the DF rely on 4x4 wheeled vehicles.
    Our winter lasts from November to March. It always has done. Some parts of the country are completely impassable for the majority of these months. Our vehicles are designed to be used on roads, or prepared tracks, away from this you want to have a good recovery vehicle handy.
    For the rest of the year, venturing off these roads and tracks can also be a hazard. The mountans are boggy after a heavy shower. Once the sod is broken you are struggling with wheels.
    During the summer months, we frequently have periods of heavy rain which leaves most of the country flooded. Your 4x4 or 6x6 may get through, depending on your intake position, but in deep floods there is always the danger of striking submerged obstacles.

This latest emergency has seen the DF heroically provide all wheel drive vehicles for use of the emergency services. However on many occasions even these have to be pulled from the ditch, mostly by agricultural vehicles.
    So it isn't practical to have the DF in tractors. However, there is an answer, a vehicle that is already in limited use in both the DF and Civil defence. Tried and tested in civilian and military service worldwide.

Its as practical as a Nissan or Pajero (with greater capacity). Powered by either a Ford transit or Mercedes engine. Tried and tested worldwide. Rubber tracks so you can drive them on road, if you need to. Alternatively fits happily on the back of a DROPS.
    Also available as an armoured version if so required.

One would think it had been designed for Ireland.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

or maybe this cheaper option...?

Comment

Originally posted by restless View Post
      https://youtu.be/Fm8J9-x1vSE

or maybe this cheaper option...?
      The Jeep dealer didn't give me THAT as an optional extra
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        OK, having spent this morning shovelling over a foot of snow from around my car, and with neighbours assisting in clearing the roads within our estate, only to be thwarted in any journey by what are still terrible driving conditions in this part of the country, I can't help wondering, why does the DF rely on 4x4 wheeled vehicles.
        Our winter lasts from November to March. It always has done. Some parts of the country are completely impassable for the majority of these months. Our vehicles are designed to be used on roads, or prepared tracks, away from this you want to have a good recovery vehicle handy.
        For the rest of the year, venturing off these roads and tracks can also be a hazard. The mountans are boggy after a heavy shower. Once the sod is broken you are struggling with wheels.
        During the summer months, we frequently have periods of heavy rain which leaves most of the country flooded. Your 4x4 or 6x6 may get through, depending on your intake position, but in deep floods there is always the danger of striking submerged obstacles.

This latest emergency has seen the DF heroically provide all wheel drive vehicles for use of the emergency services. However on many occasions even these have to be pulled from the ditch, mostly by agricultural vehicles.
        So it isn't practical to have the DF in tractors. However, there is an answer, a vehicle that is already in limited use in both the DF and Civil defence. Tried and tested in civilian and military service worldwide.

Its as practical as a Nissan or Pajero (with greater capacity). Powered by either a Ford transit or Mercedes engine. Tried and tested worldwide. Rubber tracks so you can drive them on road, if you need to. Alternatively fits happily on the back of a DROPS.
        Also available as an armoured version if so required.

One would think it had been designed for Ireland.
        How many would the DF need, and would they be realistic for day to day operations when the weather is not extreme, in terms of running costs and maintainence?

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          The Jeep dealer didn't give me THAT as an optional extra
          US€25K for the set, apparently. V6 engine SUV only.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I do tend to agree but what conventional use do we put them to? Not a FFR

It’s an APC so do we buy enough for an few APC Coys? Use it in Supp Coys etc ?

Every military in the world does use 4x4 - 8x8 in the same way as us

Or course the other thing is why don’t councils, CD, emergency services, ESB Networks, etc etc get them?

Comment

Warthog has similar configuration, performance and apparently are being sold cheap(ish) by the Brits, just saying.

Comment

DCD has 1 x BV206

The Arty have BV206s with Giraffe radars (we could just buy some troop/cargo pods for them (assuming they are interchangeable (not sure if they are)))

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                  US€25K for the set, apparently. V6 engine SUV only.
                  The missus would kill me! Also, the Jeep engine isn’t big enough on this one (but the straight six 4L one I used to run could have handled them, I’m sure!)

Comment

Tractors are less than ideal as they tend to be top heavy by nature.

Given how the Royal Marines have employed the Bv 206 family in all sorts of terrain to include deserts, and how our weather based events have become more disruptive there is an argument to be made for a half dozen 206s to be at least procured and held in reserve for these almost annual events.

Who operates them is another question, but you can argue that after you buy them.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      DCD has 1 x BV206
                      They had at least two...

Comment

Whatever about all terrain I notice that precious few vehicles out and about during the snow has front mounted winches.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Tractors are less than ideal as they tend to be top heavy by nature.

Given how the Royal Marines have employed the Bv 206 family in all sorts of terrain to include deserts, and how our weather based events have become more disruptive there is an argument to be made for a half dozen 206s to be at least procured and held in reserve for these almost annual events.

Who operates them is another question, but you can argue that after you buy them.
                          You can find me at the front of the queue

Comment

DCD still has to transport them on the back of a truck / low loader / whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                              DCD still has to transport them on the back of a truck / low loader / whatever

Sure, but this was forecast, Ophelia was forecast, floods are routinely forecast etc. - so they could be pre-positioned in the run up to the event in the nearest DF barracks, Garda station etc.

It would make sense imo to have a small number located around the country anyway - who pays for it, who operates them, that's another matter.

But I take the point, if there aren't enough DROPS vehicles to transport them in the first place... it'd be a foolish investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X