This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all
    What, apart from price, prevents the Army from actually getting modern battle tanks? Is it the alleged lack of available space to use them? Is it a percieved lack of need? Should the DF have even a token amount of MBTs?
    regards
    GttC

Comment

What for GTTC?lip service?
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Prehaps the army can't support them logistically.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

It can barely keep a fleet of nissans on the road...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            Hi all
            What, apart from price, prevents the Army from actually getting modern battle tanks? Is it the alleged lack of available space to use them? Is it a percieved lack of need? Should the DF have even a token amount of MBTs?
            regards
            GttC
            I'm sure that the official line would be that the Cavalry Corps is currently geared
            towards a light recce role, hence the AML's and Scorpions. Mind you, I saw that
            episode of "Top Gear" where Jeremy Clarkson was chased around Salisbury Plain
            by (I think) a Chieftain MBT, and boy, could that thing move !!!
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Challenger 2.

A modern MBT will get across country faster than anything in the Irish inventory bar a Scorpion.

The spelling lessons are starting to take effect then....
              What is it in English then?

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Manoeuvre.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  Hi all
                  regards
                  GttC

The is a lack of available space to use any DF equipment, the training areas in the Glen are just about big enough to accommodate a light role infantry battalion let alone a mechanised unit with MBTs.

Comment

Hi there
                    Do like the Brits do in Germany...drive where you like, with an REME unit following behind to make repairs.Oh, and bring an Officer with compo claim forms...and a chequebook...the Curragh's big enough, as is the land mass of all the State forests. Lack of room is no excuse.As for Nissan maintenance, introduce shifts and the appropriate pay-scales and you'll get all the vehicles you need.If it works for airlines,...
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
                      yep, the onlyreal interest from forign countries was for the Merkava IV, but the Israelis wouldn't sell it,

btw we could get some very cheap leo 2s now, the Dutch are selling off surplus ones for less then a million each
                      Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                      thanks for the info mutter, though if i is ever in the market for a tank i'll stick with countries who can fight yanks, brits, gerries, ruskies, eh french...

yea turbo leopards are german......
                      The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasplug View Post
                        yea turbo leopards are german......
                        this is true but i was talkin bout the ariet which is ITALIAN (see post 14)
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• This madness must end SOON

Comment

• Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
                            When I was at ATDU, they were telling me about 2.5mil sterling per CR2. The turret replacement programme is going to set them back an additional 2.5mil per tank, basically doubling their costs.

M1 when initially produced in the early 1980s had a driveaway cost of $1mil, plus tax, title and insurance. Current versions clock in at over $4million. FWIW, the M1A1s on my property book are valued at $2.38mil. (That's the price that gets deducte from your pay if you break one). That's almost exactly the per-unit price for a Stryker Infantry Carrier Vehicle today.

The most expensive per-unit tank in the world is, last I checked, Type-90. This isn't so much because of the cost of manufacture, as because of the fact that they deliberately kept a slow rate of production in order to keep the factory in business, instead of pumping them all out at once. Not that it's not filled with gadgets and gizmos either.

As for the TA lad with his very own Chally, that's questionable. The only TA unit that works with tanks is the Royal Wessex Yeomanry. They do not provide full tank crews, instead their function depends on the squadron. For example, the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (A Squadron) trains turret crew replacements. Gunners and loaders. The Royal Devon Yeomanry (D Squadron)'s job is to train soldiers who can drive any tracked/armoured vehicle in the British inventory, in order to deliver them to the line units. The regiment has sent troops on Telic to integrate into the Regular Army units that were there, and some of them did work on Challenger tanks. I am not aware of any who served as tank commanders, though it's possible, particularly if the TC was taking the day off. When they conduct maneuvers on tracks, they borrow from Regular Army units. They only have Land Rovers in their garages. My information is only a year old, I visited them on exchange for two weeks.

NTM
                            well my mate also quoted me £60mil for a challenger 2, so his inf maybe a little suspect..
                            But there's no danger

Comment

• i didnt put that last post in here in fact i put no posts(bar this one) in here

[MOD: The moderation team reserves the right to amusing renaming/splitting of threads]
                              Last edited by Barry; 12 October 2006, 23:13.
                              But there's no danger

Comment

• It wasn't me. Before you start whining...more.

Comment

Working...
                                X