X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday 30th January 2009

Went for a run on a route I hadn't actually tried, around my work area,
    but had mapped on www.mapmyrun.com.

I wanted to push myself a bit more from the run I did on Wednesday night.
    which was approximately 2/3 of the distance of the run I did last night.

Have to admit, it's hard going when running alone, but delighted to say I went around a
    3.6 km route without any problems.

.... Well the jury is out on the distance....

www.mapmyrun.com says it's 3.75km, I clocked it in the car this morning, and the
    odometer says 3.6 - 3.7km

Which would you guys say is more accurate ???

On the subject, I can't recommend this site highly enough. Saw the
    link to it on the 62 Inf Bn website, in the "Getting Fit" section.
    Can map routes, and save details of runs, etc. Was surprised to see
    that I' ve clocked up 21km since January 20th

Set myself a relaxed pace, which seemed to
    pay off for me, in that I didn't have to pull up mid stream.
    Also the fact that I had the MP3 player booming out some good stuff helped me
    kick on to the end.

And floored 2 litres of water on completion, and en route home

Was well happy.

Not sure as to the time, as I forgot to bring the bloody stopwatch with me !!!

Was back in around 1940, so am guessing that it was 20 minutes or less, definitely not
    more.

Working on a 3.75km route in 20 minutes, this puts me at 17 mins for a 3.2km
    run.

I am hopeful that it was faster than 20 mins last night, for example, 19 mins for last
    night's run puts me at 16 mins 12 secs for 3.2km, and 18 mins would put me at
    15 mins 30 secs for 3.2km.

Have a slight touch of shin splints in the right shin today, but more worrying, a slight
    cramp in the left abdominal area - am hoping it's nothing hernia related......

Was gonna do a run on the Curragh Plains tomorrow, on grass, will assess how I feel
    in the morning....

Dazzler, hope you're on the mend......

Anyone else who's running, etc., please post. We all could do with a boost now and
    again
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 31 January 2009, 09:36.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Been doing this in work regularly. Those who know cork Know how flat it isnt....
      We Walk it....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        Was gonna do a run on the Curragh Plains tomorrow, on grass, will assess how I feel in the morning
        Damn you, what an excellent place for running. Is there anyone in Limerick doing any running? Must dust off the trainers and get some miles up.
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Friday 30th January 2009

Went for a run on a route I hadn't actually tried, around my work area,
          but had mapped on www.mapmyrun.com.

I wanted to push myself a bit more from the run I did on Wednesday night.
          which was approximately 2/3 of the distance of the run I did last night.

Have to admit, it's hard going when running alone, but delighted to say I went around a
          3.6 km route without any problems.

.... Well the jury is out on the distance....

www.mapmyrun.com says it's 3.75km, I clocked it in the car this morning, and the
          odometer says 3.6 - 3.7km

Which would you guys say is more accurate ???

Very nice Job mate. Good work. Map my Run is technically more accurate, because it is a scale map, using an extremely accurate algorithm, but at that distance, I would say, give or take 50 m's on the run, due to not actually keeping to the exact route step for step.

I should be back running on Monday, with luck, but no matter what i will be on a nice long Hill walk tomorrow, I have been advised that alot of it is down hill, which I was not too happy about. I was hoping for alot of arduous Uphill terrain, as I love hillwalking but don't get to go often enough for my own liking, But still, a hillwalk is a hill walk. And I am going to make a Yomp of it, by packing a nice 20lb bag, without water and extra rations.(They will weigh more).

I can't wait to get back running, but I know I am not gonna be happy with my first time!!! And the fact that my bollix of a Dad, "Borrowed" my good G-Shock watch. Gotta get that back!!!
          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Last year I sustained a series of injuries is a short space if time, and anytime towards the latter half of the year I tried to run anything over 1km, I felt crap. So I said to myslf stop, stop stop till I had fully recovered.

So in early Jan, I took the what some might call lazy way back to a fitness routine, and joined a gym in Kilmainham. Now up to 3.2km in 17 minutes on the treadmill. I know it bears no resemblance to running un tramac, concrete, grass, gravel, uphill, downhill, potholes, uneven ground, traffic, weather, or what ever. My goal is to get this to 15 minutes which I expext to do by the middle of Feb. That is doable, considering I couldn't run 2km in 20 mins without collapsing in a heap 2 weeks ago. I will go out onto the ground and see how it goes in mid Feb.

I know it is a lazy way, but I couldn't care less. There are weights, bikes, rowers, circuits, there's fitness & diet advice, you name it. There's pools, water massage, jackuzzi, steam rooms, saunas. All only 10mins walk away. So why the hell not on these dark evenings. It might even help to make me fit, and maybe even make it easier the do a run for real. It makes training fun, which makes it more enjoyable.

So there's me.

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
              Damn you, what an excellent place for running. Is there anyone in Limerick doing any running? Must dust off the trainers and get some miles up.
              Where abouts in limerick? I usually do a few laps of my block or go out to UL and use the back track.

Comment

I'm in the city centre, I usually do a loop out the Ennis Road and around the back of the GAA stadium. UL is quite do-able too, especially using the cycle out as warm up/cool down
                "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
                  *raises hand*

Started back last night.
                  "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Went back for a run yesterday, brand new straight outta the box runners. Barely made it a quarter of the way around, when I had to walk the rest of the way around, my legs and feet were killing me.

My Mam bought the runners as a present, So they are quite crap as running shoes.
                    Will go back out tomorrow, but not very confident in the new runners.

Also I seem to not have any real motivation for myself!!! Need to get it back!!!!

Comment

Did the Curragh Plains run on Sunday, and it went sh1te.

Pulled up halfway round (outta gas) and had to walk 'til I regained my breath, then
                      completed the circuit jogging. Dunno if it's a pace thing or not.

Then went out today for a trot around the DFTC (3.2km, in 17mins 35 secs)

Was somewhat disappointed as I felt I was motoring at a nce rhythm, but yet, am
                      struggling to get my time downwards to IT pass level

Can only keep bashing on and see what happens.

Still and all, this time last year, I would have been hard pushed to run a decent
                      distance without calving, so at least I'm making progress, slow and painful
                      though it is...
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                        Also I seem to not have any real motivation for myself!!! Need to get it back!!!!
                        Simple answer:

Put this picture on your wall, so you can see it whenever you are getting togged
                        out for a trot.......

Crack on, keep it up......

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post

Just remember, there's always someone out there who's fitter than you, stronger than you and faster than you. While you're wondering where to find some motivation, they're out training.

Think of that person, and work until you're better than them. There's always someone out there better than you, so there's always more to be done :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                            Just remember, there's always someone out there who's fitter than you, stronger than you and faster than you. While you're wondering where to find some motivation, they're out training.

Think of that person, and work until you're better than them. There's always someone out there better than you, so there's always more to be done :wink:
                            That's somewhat reminiscent of "The Six Million Dollar Man" there, Hello Alaska

Comment

That's somewhat reminiscent of "The Six Million Dollar Man" there, Hello Alaska
                              I dunno, it's just something a wise NCO told me not so long ago :redface:

It's what works for me anyway, I want to be better than people. Although it got me in trouble with an Officer yesterday on Part 3 of my IT's
                              Last edited by Hello Alaska; 4 February 2009, 23:19.

Comment

Thursday - 05 February 2009

Run
                                Distance: 2.6 miles
                                Time: 23.58 mins
                                Details: A little bit more Motivation today, did better than last tuesday anyway. I know why I did this time, due to being out of practice for a week and a half, during which I spent 3 days absolutely p1ssed and then around 4 days with the flu!!! Happy out but I have to take the route I am currently running down to 20.30 mins if I want to be an RMC. Once I get the time around there I am gonna aim for 3 miles in 22 mins. I have to say the new runners are not fantastic at all, but I am gonna give it a bit of time to break them in
                                Link - http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/299080166361 *route Taken Backwards*
                                Last edited by Dazzler; 5 February 2009, 14:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X