This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
    And how many of them went on to serve in other navies (if you are going to use P21/P22 as indicators)? The County class served on average 30 plus years of combined RN/other nation service, the 21's still have 5 out of 8 in service, the Leanders saw long and varied service. You seem to be ignoring that UK budget issues/doctrine changes that drove many of those decisions, along with designs that were meant for areas that the RN no longer operated in, or hulls that were compromised by dated designs (the Light Carriers, or the Eagle class)

The French still have 30 year old ships in service, I think the USN plans for the Burkes to last 30 plus years as are the Ticonderoga class, the USCG and others have the Hamilton class still in service what 40+ years?
    Except all those vessels have upgrades undertaken on them that take multiple months and in some cases years

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Except all those vessels have upgrades undertaken on them that take multiple months and in some cases years
      Except what, DeV? Every military vessel will undergo periodic refits, upgrades etc during their lifetime.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
        Except what, DeV? Every military vessel will undergo periodic refits, upgrades etc during their lifetime.
        NS vessels aren't but into long term refits lasting months and years

Comment

NS vessels aren't but into long term refits lasting months and years
          Honest question in terms of the RN OPV's or the USCG how much is that the same? I mean I get why high end warships need such refits to meet new risks/new weapons. But of OPV class types how much deep refits do they get? Either way I don't think my point that many navies have hulls operating in the 30 and 30 plus level now and likely to go onwards (I mean given US defence procurement unless something happens for their Cruisers soon, then they could hit 40 plus years without a replacement)

Given the equipment fit out of the NS hulls, just what long term refits would they need? What high end SAM, ASM, ASW systems need replacing/upgrading as line warships?
          Last edited by Sparky42; 3 September 2017, 21:58.

Comment

Honest question in terms of the RN OPV's or the USCG how much is that the same? I mean I get why high end warships need such refits to meet new risks/new weapons. But of OPV class types how much deep refits do they get? Either way I don't think my point that many navies have hulls operating in the 30 and 30 plus level now and likely to go onwards (I mean given US defence procurement unless something happens for their Cruisers soon, then they could hit 40 plus years without a replacement)

Given the equipment fit out of the NS hulls, just what long term refits would they need? What high end SAM, ASM, ASW systems need replacing/upgrading as line warships?
            Not an OPV but

Comment

Again I don't think that's a fair comparison, I mean you are talking about a Mine hunter who by definition needs upgrades to it's main systems and at the same time had the diesels replaced, also given the RN's manpower issues was that the minimum refit, or stretched? I mean one of the Hunt crews is moving to an OPV hull while their ship undergoes the same refit.

Comment

If you were to have been aboard P21 in 1980, and stepped aboard her again in 2010, you would not think you were aboard the same ship. Engines and major machinery may have been the same, but just like grandfathes axe. 3 new heads and 4 new handles. Fittings and furnishings, sensors and their user interfaces, even the wiring aboard ship was replaced. Everything apart from the steel hull was removed, and renewed on numerous occasions. Even at that, I was present when P31 was grit blasted in 2006, removing 30 years of paint from her upperworks, and reducing her displacement in the process.
                The difference is the Irish temo of operations does not permit a ship to be out of service for years at a time. Other nations warships go into refit for extended periods, where major systems are completely mothballed while other systems are rebuilt or replaced. An interesting example is the older US Perry class FFG, whose Standard main armament became obsolete towards the end of its service. Some ships in Australian service were fitted with a VLS in place of the missile launcher, but the US decided to fit a 25mm cannon at the location instead. This required fitting a serious amount of ballast to compensate for the absence of a missile magazine. This has become relevant lately as the USN is considering reactivating decomissioned FFGs to make up the numbers of Trump's 355 ship Navy.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• On a lighter note, I recently saw the USS Constitution. Commissioned in 1797 and still technically in service

Comment

• Yes indeed, and HMS Victory was 40 years old at the Battle Of Trafalgar. I am also aware that all of our ships had half- life refits at the 10/12 year anniversary from build. Front edge items such as radar, Comms, were maintained close to the latest generations and International requirements such as ARPA and ECDIS are always met.

Comment

• If we had a logistics ship - or ever get one - it should have electric propulsion. Why? She could act as power plant for areas that have lost power due to a catastrophe. Liek Domenica for instance. Ireland could send supplies, aid teams and onboard hospital on a ship that could at least power some local services.

Comment

• So just like the latest vessels then?

Comment

• Hospital, supplies? in a 2.25 Gg hull? Wasn't aware they had electric propulsion
                          Last edited by Graylion; 3 October 2017, 16:06.

Comment

• Propulsion

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                            Hospital, supplies? in a 2.25 Gg hull? Wasn't aware they had electric propulsion
                            Ships with shaft generators run under a Power Take Off principle, can have that arrangement reversed to a Power Take In configuration to drive both shafts with electrical power fed back through a SWX Board. The Shaft Generators become electrical motors. The speed would be less but fine for getting home.

Comment

• So its an MPV again?

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                                So its an MPV again?
                                MRV and it has been since 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X