No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an idea for the single force concept, get rid of SDA, MSA, ATCP & ATCA allowances, plus a 10% basic pay cut for the PDF.

Other countries incentivise reservists the DF does the opposite.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Here's an idea for the single force concept, get rid of SDA, MSA, ATCP & ATCA allowances, plus a 10% basic pay cut for the PDF.

Hope you've dug in. You've got incoming

Comment

• the problem with all this is that it skirts the issue - the fundamental issue - of what the Reserve is for.

until its worked out under what military conditions the Reserve would be used, and in what role, its just fannying about with garden furniture on a well known ice-bound peice of early 20th century engineering.

there's no point incentivising a reserve if you don't have a plan for what you want it to do - the 'incentivise it to do what?' argument - that, to me, is the enormous hole in this whole thing: the reserve does not have a stated (or even unstated) military end result, it just has a Groundhog Day existance where it exists for the sake of existing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Here's an idea for the single force concept, get rid of SDA, MSA, ATCP & ATCA allowances, plus a 10% basic pay cut for the PDF.

"Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Basically, a poor man's version of integration under a different name because we're not allowed to mention that word.
            From where I sit it looks like Integration as it was meant to be. I am on the playground again and we're been given the chance to make it work. So I'm going to try it, not least because of non carborundum illegitemi
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I think that for the single concept to work, you need to use the full 70/30 PDF/RDF balance operationally.

Unfortunately, the attitude here seems to be that in order to mobilise the 30% RDF component, we must have exhausted our 70% PDF component first. In reality though, if you're relying on the RDF to be the Reserve of last resort, then you don't have an effective Reserve. Having 30% of your single force with no operational exposure and minimal training is near enough useless.

However, if 70% of the single force was mobilised at a 70/30 balance of PDF/RDF, meaning that the 30% you hold in reserve is a mix of 70/30 PDF/RDF then your force potency will have increased and you do in fact have a single force with a viable Reserve.

That can't happen without a serious change in mindset and support from the MA, Government and employers. Which would be difficult, but not impossible.

Comment

• However, if 70% of the single force was mobilised at a 70/30 balance of PDF/RDF, meaning that the 30% you hold in reserve is a mix of 70/30 PDF/RDF then your force potency will have increased and you do in fact have a single force with a viable Reserve.

That can't happen without a serious change in mindset and support from the MA, Government and employers
                Employers: never happen. This isn't the USA and even there there's a shitload of problems
                MA : Currently trialling it
                Govt : giving it a go. We'll see what happens.

BUT
                1. Dog wags tail not the other way round - i.e. for it to be any use we have to serve Govt aims

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  From where I sit it looks like Integration as it was meant to be. I am on the playground again and we're been given the chance to make it work. So I'm going to try it, not least because of non carborundum illegitemi
                  I'll say this Trell, 90% of the opposition I've encountered to this working has been from reservists. Many of them 'senior'.

The only PDF that think about us every day are the former Cadre, the others are getting their first taste and the book on that isn't written yet. The two big problems are attendance and the face of leadership that's put out there.

The organisation needs a major change in ethos, and the people in a position to push that aren't interested in upsetting their own cosy nests.
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• The organisation needs a major change in ethos, and the people in a position to push that aren't interested in upsetting their own cosy nests
                    Many have been sidelined or haven't understood what is actually happening

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                      I think that for the single concept to work, you need to use the full 70/30 PDF/RDF balance operationally.
                      By the way, I should have added that it would take years to get the RDF up to that capability. I'm not saying that's what the single force should look like this year or next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                        90% of the opposition I've encountered to this working has been from reservists. Many of them 'senior'.

The two big problems are attendance and the face of leadership that's put out there.

The people in a position to push that aren't interested in upsetting their own cosy nests.
                        Right there, those three issues... they are THEE biggest problems that we will encounter.

The people pushing back the hardest, are quite frankly the people who dont matter.

Caveat: There are SOME seniors, ranked Sgt and above who DO give a sh*t, im lucky to be in a unit of such people, as far as I can tell from my brief assignment with them...

However, there are a larger group at play at higher ranks than us mere peasants, they are MOSTLY surplus to requirements, they hold some power even still, EVEN in an SWA position.
                        they dont want to change,
                        they look at the org through rose tinted glasses
                        and they will not and CAN not accept, adapt to or facilitate the REQUIRED CHANGES!

They are holding up recruitment and they are acting contrary to the basic reorg mission, they should be told to go on their ticket, because if they arent part of the solution, then they are part of the problem....
                        Last edited by morpheus; 14 May 2013, 13:15.
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• The way to get an effective reserve is not to demoralise it will no comms or decisions!

No consultation with their representatives.
                          Rushing through decisions and timelines.
                          Banning/cutting back training when you need the people there to brief them.
                          Not giving detailed information.
                          Getting someone to do duties for free (not even mileage) when the person beside them is getting paid their basic pay plus an allowance and a paid day off. With only a rumour that it will count hour for hour.
                          Not using the reserve for exercises, let alone duties. VFM changed that.
                          A few years ago the MA said reservists weren't trained to do duties, the VFM changed that.

The PDF also have to adapt, nothing to do with dropping standards of anything! Eg 7 day RDF working week

The biggest problem is communications!!!

Crystal ball time:
                          Very few people will be able to do FTT do to lack of notice and will be discharged as a result
                          People will turn up to do a 7 day and find it is 5 days, will only be paid for 5 and will be discharged
                          People will be discharged when as far as they were concerned they weren't members
                          There will not be any opportunities for voluntary unpaid and they will be discharged

It will all be the reservists fault cause they didn't turn up!

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            Right there, those three issues... they are THEE biggest problems that we will encounter.

The people pushing back the hardest, are quite frankly the people who dont matter.

Caveat: There are SOME seniors, ranked Sgt and above who DO give a sh*t, im lucky to be in a unit of such people, as far as I can tell from my brief assignment with them...

However, there are a larger group at play at higher ranks than us mere peasants, they are MOSTLY surplus to requirements, they hold some power even still, EVEN in an SWA position.
                            they dont want to change,
                            they look at the org through rose tinted glasses
                            and they will not and CAN not accept, adapt to or facilitate the REQUIRED CHANGES!

They are holding up recruitment and they are acting contrary to the basic reorg mission, they should be told to go on their ticket, because if they arent part of the solution, then they are part of the problem....
                            There was never supposed to be recruitment in 2013, read the KPIs

Comment

• well i see very limited recruitment when there is zero incentive for those serving without a position, to leave the organisation.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• At local level, the Reorg is working okay. PDF units seem open to receiving Reservists, particularly as we offer potential cost effective additional man power resources for Exs, who above all else, want to be there.

The issue is the design of the RDF post implementation. If you want a part time Reserve component of the single force that can guarantee service delivery you have to pay them, set and enforce the standards, engage with the employers and legislate to ease mobilisation. Demanding volunteers is a failed concept from the off.

After that, you'll have the capability to improve the output of the DF, increasing operational exposure to both Regular and Reserve, and with more people working their way through the system, it further enables the fluidity of promotions and career development. It's win/win really.

Comment

Working...
                                X