Defence Forces Military Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
    Irish troops deployed without magazines on their weapons??
    If its a Gustav SMG, it was much safer to all without the mag on.

Comment

Its an FN. They are also wearing WW2 pattern webbing. Maybe the SOP at the time was to remain unloaded while patrolling, given the circumstances?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

most likely its not a patrol but a bluff for the camera

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
          most likely its not a patrol but a bluff for the camera
          Surely can bluff for the camera with empty mags on ?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

surely they could of, but theres a number of reasons for no mags, could be any of them..
            i dont think its a patrol never heared of any patrol with no mags on all the weapons.
            i,d say there in camp and bluffin there on patrol as the comms sound crystal clear there mags where just over looked

Comment

"Celebrating 50 years 1946 - 1996. Naval Review 12th July 1996."

Comment

The video doesn't really do justice to how glorious the weather was that day.

Comment

Back when we used to get summers. I missed that myself, was too busy minding a crime scene in Limerick, or doing door to door inquiries. I did get down to see the visiting ships in Cork though.

Comment

I still have the programme and video footage.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Military Fitness

Comment

Army Equitation School 1963

Comment

Emergency Service Medals 1939 - 46

Comment

Lots of black and tan medals on display there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
                              Lots of black and tan medals on display there.
                              Look at the soldier at 1:12, he has a 1916 medal, a 1917-1921 service medal and was presented with a Emergency Service Medal with two bars.
                              Id love to know what these great men think of the deserters.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                                Look at the soldier at 1:12, he has a 1916 medal, a 1917-1921 service medal and was presented with a Emergency Service Medal with two bars.
                                Id love to know what these great men think of the deserters.
                                I'll give you a shovel and a torch, you can ask them.

Comment

Working...
                                X