This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The outgoing Flag Officer indicated, in today's Irish Examiner , that planning was underway for the design of an MRV type vessel for the Naval Service. The vessel is to be 130 Meters with a range of capabilities both military and humanitarian. It seems to me that the vessel will be close to 12000 tonnes if we follow convention , with about 19 meter beam and a draft of about 4.8/5.0 meters.
    Do you have a link to that article, can't find anything online?

Comment

The outgoing Flag Officer indicated, in today's Irish Examiner , that planning was underway for the design of an MRV type vessel for the Naval Service. The vessel is to be 130 Meters with a range of capabilities both military and humanitarian. It seems to me that the vessel will be close to 12000 tonnes if we follow convention , with about 19 meter beam and a draft of about 4.8/5.0 meters.

So like the EPV specs then

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        So like the EPV specs then
        Was the EPV spec along the lines of 12K tons?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          Was the EPV spec along the lines of 12K tons?
          it didn’t specify

The dimensions are

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            it didn’t specify

The dimensions are
            The article referring to 130 meter vessel was in Irish Examiner 11/12/2017. The length is the clue to potential tonnage and can give you displacement tonnage eg 130 m x 19 m x 5 m = 12350 then multiply by 1025 over 1000 to give 12650t in salt water.

Comment

• EPV specs
              130-140m long
              16-30m bean
              4-5m draft

Comment

Link???No sign online
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The article referring to 130 meter vessel was in Irish Examiner 11/12/2017. The length is the clue to potential tonnage and can give you displacement tonnage eg 130 m x 19 m x 5 m = 12350 then multiply by 1025 over 1000 to give 12650t in salt water.
                  I would add a form factor as the hull of a ship is not a cuboid, 12650 x 0.8 = 10120 to take account of the hull form.

Comment

• Block Coefficient

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                    I would add a form factor as the hull of a ship is not a cuboid, 12650 x 0.8 = 10120 to take account of the hull form.
                    Your correct, of course, for the final design of ship. It may be that the final coefficient may be in the region of 0.7 to 0.8. Well observed!

Comment

• Article on Eithne (may have posted this before) - obviously details will have changed over the years

Comment

• Many years ago I took the drawings from that issue and redrew them on double scale. It makes for a great wall decoration.
                        Oddly while the compartments may have slightly different uses now (in particular on 02 deck) structurally and layout wise, little has changed.
                        A model of her anchor handling arrangement remains in use as a training aid at NMCI. It was unique at the time, and the design has served the ship well.
                        It always interests me though that in each drawing, the heli on deck is a Lynx, not a Dauphin.
                        P31 has in my opinion (and many who served on her) been a fine design of ship. A second in class could only have been an improvement, had it happened. Her retirement is inevitable. My only hope is that her sturdy design finds a new use to a future owner. I believe she is well suited to being converted for use as a survey or research ship, should use as a coastguard vessel not be appropriate or available.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Well wasn't the original idea for the Lynx before politics meant that the Dauphin was picked instead?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                            Well wasn't the original idea for the Lynx before politics meant that the Dauphin was picked instead?
                            More or less, from what I heard 15 lynx were to replace the A111's but then finance reared it's ugly wallet.
                            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Marine Helicopters

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                              More or less, from what I heard 15 lynx were to replace the A111's but then finance reared it's ugly wallet.
                              When Verholme were producing commercial data and brochures about the P31 project they put that aspect in the hands of an outside agency. At an early juncture it had not yet been decided which helicopter would be the Aircorps choice so the Lynx was used as a stand-in generically. In the end it made no difference as the concept wasn't everybody's dream and died from circumstances.

Comment

• One wonders what could have been.
                                Round then (1982) it seemed quite clear that Ireland was to purchase a number of Super Puma for SAR and troop transport, such was the success of 242 in the winter of 81/82.
                                Then following the economic slump that saw widespread factory closures and huge unemployment, the lease for 242 was not renewed and any plans to purchase Super Pumas remained on the drawing board.
                                In any event, at the time, both the lynx and dauphin were the European naval heli of choice. The only impact was there was no dedicated naval helis. All 5 were multi purpose, 2 were modified for deck landing.

Verolme definitely flew all the flags when it came to promotional literature for P31. I remember a 3 page folding pull out in Cara, the Aer Lingus in Flight Magazine.
                                These days the design and layout of new naval vessels is almost a closely guarded secret until they first appear out of the build hall in Appledore.
                                Given the amount of public money involved one wonders is it better to let the taxpayer know exactly what they are getting in lay man terms with artists impressions, instead of some generic press release with lots of Naval Jargon and high notions?
                                See example of the latter below.
                                “The Government’s current ship replacement programme has delivered three Naval Service vessels, representing a significant investment by the Government in the provision of defence capability for the State. The ship that is being built at present will be the fourth in this class providing huge commonality benefits to the Naval Service and allowing for greater operational capacity.”

Minister Kehoe concluded by complimenting employees at Babcock “for their ability to produce well designed and stylish ships with state of the art equipment which have already proven their value to the Irish Naval Service both at home and on overseas missions.”
                                Joe public sees the words stylish and thinks luxury motor yacht to ferry ministers about.
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                                X