This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of the word Sandbag

Little mini poll: By way of liking or disliking this post.How many RDF members here think that the "S" word(a derogatory name for a reservist) is a term of endearment??
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Originally posted by apod View Post
    Little mini poll: By way of liking or disliking this post.How many RDF members here think that the "S" word(a derogatory name for a reservist) is a term of endearment??
    Only people who take the RDF too seriously get all insulted by being called the "S word", we routinely call each other "F****** S words".
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      Depends on how it's said. Most of the time it's not derogatory.

Comment

Well I don't like it.
        Last edited by Docman; 1 November 2012, 19:13.

Comment

The A holes who refer to Irish Solders as sandbags are doing s bag ira/sf lovers dirty work.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
            The A holes who refer to Irish Solders as sandbags are doing s bag ira/sf lovers dirty work.
            What about just baggers?

The spit to take the taste out of your mouth afterwards is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
              Well I don't like it.
              Would you prefer the SAS? (Saturdays & Sundays)

Comment

From Wiki:

A sandbag (floodbag) is a sack made of hessian/burlap, polypropylene or other materials that is filled with sand or soil and used for such purposes as flood control, military fortification, shielding glass windows in war zones and ballast.

Advantages are that burlap and sand are inexpensive, and that the bags can be brought in empty and filled with local sand or soil.
                Nothing offensive about that really.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I would be quite happy to use a sandbag for any of the above quotes reasons

Comment

OK guys back on thread, it is about drill. By the way I have never heard someone use the word sandbag or bagger in any other way than in a derogatory way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      I have never heard someone use the word sandbag or bagger in any other way than in a derogatory way.
                      Or was it that you just perceived it to be derogatory?

Comment

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                        Or was it that you just perceived it to be derogatory?
                        That is all that matters, the intention of the insulter does not matter.

Comment

MOD: I have enough of this crap, the use of the word sandbag to describe anything other than a bag that carries sand will result in a ban. This thread is now closed.

Comment

Sandbags at dawn

MOD: Several posts removed from " Future of the Army Reserve-discuss" and thread closed again :(

referring to us as sandbags to recruits all through basic training
                            hmmm, I hope that doesn't happen with the recruits in my barracks, (i stress, if used in a derogatory fashion), within earshot of me, because whichever NCO mutters it will be knocked the f**k out in front of his "recruits", then they will all know just how effective a sandbag can be... and he can have my beret too as a token of my appreciation.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Personally I don't think the term is anything apart from derogatory.

But one former RDF unit even refer to themselves as "sandbags"

Comment

Working...
                              X