No announcement yet.

Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly, that article is fifteen years old....

Comment

• Irish general announced as head of UN mission in Lebanon

Major General Michael Beary will take over in mid-July

An Irish general has been announced as the new head of mission and force commander of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced the appointment of Major General Michael Beary today.

Major General Beary succeeds Major General Luciano Portolano of Italy, who will complete his assignment in mid-July.

The Minister of State with Special Responsibility for Defence, Paul Kehoe, has welcomed the appointment.

"I have had the pleasure of working closely with Major General Beary over the past five years benefiting from the wealth of experience which he brought to his previous roles", he said.

"Major General Beary will bring extensive command and peacekeeping experience to the post and I have no doubt but that he will serve with distinction in this important position. It has been thirty years since an Irish person has held this post and I want to warmly congratulate him and his family on this great occasion", he added.

Born in 1956, Major Beary has a wide range of previous overseas experience - including three deployments in South Lebanon with UNIFIL.

He also served as Mission Commander in EUTM Somalia from 2011 to 2013, where he commanded a multinational force from 12 EU Member States who were tasked with training military forces for the Somali government.

He is currently serving as the General Officer Commanding 2 Brigade.

Ireland has participated in UNIFIL since its establishment in 1978. A Defence Forces battalion served for 23 years with the mission until it was withdrawn in 2001.

Ireland again deployed 158 personnel to Lebanon in 2006, for a period of 12 months.

Following a request from the UN in 2010, a contingent of Defence Forces has been deployed to UNIFIL since mid-2011, and it continues to represent Ireland's largest overseas deployment.

Comment

• I note from the latest issue of Connect, and the interview with DCOS, that the Lebanon contingent is being increased from an Infantry Group(194 Pers) to an Infantry battalion(339) with additional personnel in UNIFIL HQ and Sector West HQ.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
          I note from the latest issue of Connect, and the interview with DCOS, that the Lebanon contingent is being increased from an Infantry Group(194 Pers) to an Infantry battalion(339) with additional personnel in UNIFIL HQ and Sector West HQ.
          http://digital.jmpublishing.ie/t/13327-connect/0
          It is just us becoming the lead nation in the IRISHFIN battalion again after a few years

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            It is just us becoming the lead nation in the IRISHFIN battalion again after a few years
            na grohmití is correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
              na grohmití is correct.
              That is what the article/interview says but....

We both know that the leadership (and provider of the bulk of the troops) of the UNIFIL battalion rotates between Ireland and Finland.

Ireland will provide a Bn minus and Finland a Coy (possibly Coy plus), this is the way it works.

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/Minbrief3 page 29

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                That is what the article/interview says but....

We both know that the leadership (and provider of the bulk of the troops) of the UNIFIL battalion rotates between Ireland and Finland.

Ireland will provide a Bn minus and Finland a Coy (possibly Coy plus), this is the way it works.

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/Minbrief3 page 29
                Jesus wept...

Comment

• New UNIFIL FC meets Lebanon's Prime Miniser and COS

Maj. Gen. Michael Beary, the newly-appointed head of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) held separate talks Friday in Beirut with Prime Minister Tammam Salam and Army Commander General Jean Qahwaji, the U.N. force said. The...

Comment

• UNIFIL mandate renewed. Couldn't see anything in the Irish news - quelle surprise - so this is from another source.

A day ahead the expiration of its mandate, the UN Security Council unanimously renewed for a further period of one year the UN interposition mission in Southern Lebanon UNIFIL. The UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the extension, noting that, during the past ten years, the UNIFIL area of operation and areas along the Blue Line have witnessed the longest period of relative calm in decades.

Comment

• Some of the vehicles waiting to be shipped out of Dublin to Beirut for the 109 Bn.

Attached Files

Comment

• Is this the first deployment abroad of CRVs and MRVs?

Comment

• Originally posted by ias View Post
                          Is this the first deployment abroad of CRVs and MRVs?
                          CRV's have been to Chad, Lebanon and Syria, this will be the MRV's first operational deployment overseas.

Comment

• Do my eyes deceive me or are there armoured Pajeros in that photo?
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                              Do my eyes deceive me or are there armoured Pajeros in that photo?
                              Not sure, but based on picture one, I'm glad we appear to be sending over at least one intercontinental ballistic missile.

Comment

• It is only the booster stage, the rest will follow later!

Comment

Working...
                                X