Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We must be due one this year so.
    Nothing on the grape vine?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
      Open day happens every year. I like the idea of getting the families to choose a name.
      Not a bad idea at all,might be the start of inclusion of views from WAGS etc re barrack closures and unit standowns.

Comment

• Heard recently that the current FOCNS wants to move away from the current naming system and is interesting in using names with WB Yeats and such notable.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Well Oscar Wilde is already in use with Irish Ferries so we can count that out i take it. Funny though , Irish Ferries , Oscar Wilde and flying the flag of the Bahamas . Ulysses , Jonathan Swift and Islae Of Inishmore flying the flag of Cypress . Irish Ferries my arse .
          Last edited by Laners; 26 July 2012, 10:49.
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            Heard recently that the current FOCNS wants to move away from the current naming system and is interesting in using names with WB Yeats and such notable.
            The reference to Yeats etc will no doubt appeal to the artistic leanings of the CinC.Bearing in mind Flags interest in marine tech etc perhaps consideation of Parsons whose invention revolutionised marine propulsion would be appropriate.

Comment

• or Holland (from clare) who invented the modern submarine!
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• That would be too confusing.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Is it true the Flag will be joining the COS branch in Dublin? If so he may push for more ships, some are well passed there sell by date. Hope they keep the old tradition of naming them after Irish female names. LE Sinead now that's a nice one.

Comment

• or Holland (from clare) who invented the modern submarine!

emm who was previously a christian brother!!! like fcuk.

If the Flag is going down the Yeats line...ironically the NS retrieved his remains in 1947 on a corvette, L.E. Macha, and given the flags heritage we could end up with some South American admirals in the mix!

Comment

• [QUOTE=hptmurphy;

.......... and given the flags heritage we could end up with ........[/QUOTE]

Wont be the "O Donnell" for sure.

Comment

• LE Brenan Behan (The drunk with a writing problem)

Why not name them after famous Grayhounds

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                          LE Brenan Behan (The drunk with a writing problem)

Why not name them after famous Grayhounds
                          Why not leave well enough alone?

Comment

• Why not musicians and cultural icons? The Le Bono, Le Phil Lynott, Le spit on me dickie??

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              emm who was previously a christian brother!!! like fcuk.

If the Flag is going down the Yeats line...ironically the NS retrieved his remains in 1947 on a corvette, L.E. Macha, and given the flags heritage we could end up with some South American admirals in the mix!

I like WB and I have read his poetry- but I cant actually pick anything out of a poem of his that would equate to the name of a vessel- unless its the LE Wild Swans- LE Sally Garden- LE When you are old.

It would be so so simple to get suggestions from NS Bodies past and present and make a short list ( shortlis committee to consist of all ranks) and put the short list to the vote of the NS persons- there families and the ex sea hags.

Was there ever an LE Maebh,

and when a lot of vessels are named worldwide - they are given imagineative names that inspire etc etc- were the naming committee on a jolly boys outing when HMS Ocean got her name?
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Yes, HH, there was an LE MAEV. The only downside of the present naming system is that it sounds like first year in Mount Anville. Some of the contortions of allegedly-Irish girls names that are out there would make your head spin (see the variations of Maeve, Sive, Siofra,etc,etc). It wouldn't surprise me if the next ships are coincidentally named after some politician's daughter.

stick with what they know.

regards
                                GttC

Comment

Working...
                                X