Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Hi there,
    What did the Dutch fire at? Armour or bunkers or gun positions? Did they suffer any "retaliation"?
    regards
    GttC
    The Dutch were tasked with taking out D.F.F. Sherman tanks threatening At-Tiri from outside the village, as far as I remember, they hit 3 and narrowly missed one, beside which Major Saad Haddat, the commander of the D.F.F. was standing, which later lead to statements on the "Voice of Peace" radio station that the Irish tried to assinate him.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Is it true that the UNIFIL mandate was never achieved?
      The first "I" stands for Interim.... UNIFIL was supposed to be short term it is now probably one of the longest running missions.

One of the aims was to see the Israelis withdrawal.... they did on several occasions but the last time the took the DFF/SLA with them. So in that way yes.

Also, a lot of the people who stayed in the AO were only able to do so because of the UNIFIL presence, otherwise they would have become refugees.

Comment

A slight bit of hope:

Ethiopian who ‘tortured inmates in prison camp during the 1970s Red Terror’ arrested after being spotted by ‘victim’ in Denver cafe

Man arrested after being spotted by former prisoner in suburban cafe
        Accused of carrying out vicious beatings using a cattle prod, rifle butts, whips and pipes
        Said to have hurt inmates during 'Red Terror' when up to 500,000 Ethiopians were killed by Communists

By Sam Adams

PUBLISHED: 08:52 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 12:23 GMT, 5 September 2012

Comments (1)

A brutal Ethopian prison guard who tortured inmates with cattle prods in the 1970s has been arrested following a chance encounter in a U.S.restaurant by one of his victims, immigration chiefs claimed today.

Kefelegn Alemu Worku is also said to have beaten prisoners with rifle butts, whips and pipes during a period known as the Red Terror when up to 500,000 people died in a political purge by communist rulers.

Worku was previously known as Tufa when he worked at the notorious Higher 15 detention camp - the site of many executions - according to two former inmates who identified him in a photo line-up.
        Arrest: The man was arrested in a cafe frequented by members of the Ethiopian community in Aurora, Colorado

Arrest: The man was arrested in a cafe frequented by members of the Ethiopian community in Aurora, Colorado

He was spotted in the Cozy Cafe in Aurora, Colorado last May by a another former prisoner who recognized him.

Worku was a regular at the cafe, which is a hangout for Ethiopian immigrants in the Denver area, said restaurant manager Girma Baye.

Worku, who worked at a parking lot and had previous held a job at Denver International Airport, has been charged with unlawfully procuring citizenship or naturalization and aggravated identity theft.
        Power: Mengistu Haile Mariam (pictured) was the most prominent officer of the Derg, Communist military junta that oversaw the Red Terror in Ethiopia during the late 1970s

Power: Mengistu Haile Mariam (pictured) was the most prominent officer of the Derg, Communist military junta that oversaw the Red Terror in Ethiopia during the late 1970s

If convicted of both, he faces up to 12 years in prison and fines of up to $500,000.

The Ethiopian who alerted the authorities claims he escaped from the prison in 1979, Homeland Security Agent Jeffrey Lembke said.

The three immigrants told authorities the man they identified as Worku participated in beatings and torture sessions that included a cattle prod, rifle butts, whips and pipes.

They also said he threatened at least one witness with an AK-47 at the prison where detainees were regularly beaten and executed.

The former prisoners had 'a very strong reason to remember, even though it was 30 years ago,' said federal prosecutor Brenda Taylor in court.

Federal public defender Matthew Golla said his client denies all of the charges.

The man entered his plea in federal court before being held without bail by a judge who noted that he is accused of using several aliases.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Kristen Mix also said the man faces serious accusations involving a detention center known as Higher 15.

It was established during the late 1970s in a campaign known as the Red Terror, which Human Rights Watch has called 'one of the most systematic uses of mass murder by a state ever witnessed in Africa.'
        Years of suffering: An Ethiopian refugee camp in Ali Sabieh, Djibouti. Ethiopians have suffered terribly from the effects of war and famine during recent decades

Years of suffering: An Ethiopian refugee camp in Ali Sabieh, Djibouti. Ethiopians have suffered terribly from the effects of war and famine during recent decades

Golla said his client has lived peacefully in Denver for eight years and should be released.

He said he has worked at Denver International Airport and is currently employed with a parking lot company.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz25bw3VH2P
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

????

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            ????
            some evidence of cnuts getting their just rewards i suppose, bit i'm sad to say that justice for murdered UN PeaceKeepers is not something i'd hold my breath for- nobody wants to know.

Comment

Sadly it bears no relation to the U.N.I.F.I.L. incident where 3 Irish were first held captive, one being wounded and the other two being driven away and murdered, the "alleged" perp one Mr. Bazi, now living in Detroit and selling ice-cream to school kids from a mobile Ice-cream van.

It seems that as the State of Lebanon cannot guarantee the USA his safety pre-trial, during trial because he is a former member of the D.F.F. or that he would get an impartial trial then the States would never allow him to be deported.

He cannot be tried in the U.S.A. for the crime either.

Connaught Stranger

The U.N. Irish Governments and Irish Defence Forces appear to have washed their hands of the matter, what other conclusion can become to after all these years of ignoring the case

Comment

Justice for Smallhorne & Barrett are calling on all former members of the Defence Forces to gather at the Anglesea Rd Gate of the RDS at 1400hrs on Saturday ...
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If all goes according to plan Turkey will be attending the above as a private citizen....
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                    If all goes according to plan Turkey will be attending the above as a private citizen....
                    See you there mate.

Comment

I will be partaking in the silent vigil to support my comrades and their families- this vigil is on Sat 05 July 2014. The RV is Anglesea Rd RDS at 1400 hrs.

I am sure the organisers would welcome with open arms our RDF comrades. Its a non military do- so NO pigging Uniforms whatsoever.

If you see me there, drop over and say Hi ( I am the lad who looks like George Clooney)

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        I will be partaking in the silent vigil to support my comrades and their families- this vigil is on Sat 05 July 2014. The RV is Anglesea Rd RDS at 1400 hrs.

I am sure the organisers would welcome with open arms our RDF comrades. Its a non military do- so NO pigging Uniforms whatsoever.

If you see me there, drop over and say Hi ( I am the lad who looks like George Clooney)

Mr. Clooney Walowicz I presume?

Best of luck with it chaps.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I will be attending this event... just hope that it gets appropriate coverage in the news media and that the murderer goes back to Lebanon to face justice.

Comment

Originally posted by B Inman View Post
                            I will be attending this event... just hope that it gets appropriate coverage in the news media and that the murderer goes back to Lebanon to face justice.
                            Until he (Mr. Bazi) is convicted in any country's Court of Law, then that's "alleged" murderer, as it is any competent lawyer in the U.S. would argue their client cant expect a fair trial as the term "murderer" has been freely used in newspaper, tv, articles with regards their client in US and Internationally.

At this point in time I don't think the U.S. has an extradition treaty with Lebanon, along with the fact that their are no eye witnesses to Mr. Bazi, personally having fired the shots that killed Private Barret or Smallhorne or any witness to say he gave the orders to kill them.

I, as a former member of the 46th Bn, U.N.I.F.I.L. want to see Justice as much as the next man, but, not at the hands of a lynch mob.

I also would like to see those (from various affiliated factions from all sides) who killed other members of various Irish Batt Missions by shooting or I.E.D. on trial, but wont hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

. Until he (Mr. Bazi) is convicted in any country's Court of Law, then that's "alleged" murderer, as it is any competent lawyer in the U.S. would argue their client cant expect a fair trial as the term "murderer" has been freely used in newspaper, tv, articles with regards their client in US and Internationally.
                              1- the legend that one has to use the word alleged is just a legend. For an accused to plead undue and prejudicial pre trial bias and or publicity, he has to prove how it actually impacted upon him. Think about it, if I was accused of a crime, I could start up media and social media campaigns saying "all hear this Hedgehog is a bank robber" I could get it wrote in the sky etc etc. see where I'm going on this.

2-Mr B may be tried in the Lebanon, I doubt many Lebanese read the Journal or are members on here.

. At this point in time I don't think the U.S. has an extradition treaty with Lebanon, along with the fact that their are no eye witnesses to Mr. Bazi, personally having fired the shots that killed Private Barret or Smallhorne or any witness to say he gave the orders to kill them.
                              The campaign is all about getting him deported back to Lebanon, not extradited to the Leb.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                The campaign is all about getting him deported back to Lebanon, not extradited to the Leb.
                                As he is in the US illegally

Comment

Working...
                                X