Future of soon-to-be retired OPV's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    You don't keep a ship for spares. Its not an old lawnmower.
    I always understood the Macha was cannabalised to keep the Maev going.

Comment

• That's true enough.....RTE 1971....http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0531...or-irish-navy/

Comment

• Do you see any steam powered Naval vessels still in service?
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

You don't keep a ship for spares. Its not an old lawnmower.
          You also have to have the space to keep her. Our Maritime Base is at full capacity, especially with us having to give up some quayside for yet another yacht marina. As much as I would love to see Aisling recommissioned next to her older sister, I can't see it happening.

BTW, 03 March Ex-Aoife will finally receive her new name, together with all the other major Units at Maritime Squadron. Don't want to do a spoiler at this stage but watch this space...
          Last edited by Medsailor; 21 February 2017, 09:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medsailor View Post
            You also have to have the space to keep her. Our Maritime Base is at full capacity, especially with us having to give up some quayside for yet another yacht marina. As much as I would love to see Aisling recommissioned next to her older sister, I can't see it happening.

BTW, 03 March Ex-Aoife will finally receive her new name, together with all the other major Units at Maritime Squadron. Don't want to do a spoiler at this stage but watch this space...
            any plans for her after you receive your new OPV?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              any plans for her after you receive your new OPV?
              Early days yet and fortunately I'll be decommissioned before she is

Comment

• According to the march edition of Sea Breezes she is going to be refitted by Fincantieri at a cost of €7million.It will take 6 months to compleate and will be carried out at La Spezia.

Comment

• Service Development

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                  I honestly don't think the expense would be worth it...
                  Pouring Cold Water has always been a pass time in our Defence Forces. It will be Grand on the Day and shure we'll training in the Operational unit is the zero cost hope of the diluted unit. We MUST be always GOOD to GO. As regards Deirdre, she was scrapped because her purchaser and Mentor Died, and her new owners had no money.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25 pounder View Post
                    According to the march edition of Sea Breezes she is going to be refitted by Fincantieri at a cost of €7million.It will take 6 months to compleate and will be carried out at La Spezia.
                    Wrong number, that's P61 not P62. If confronted with P62 (i.e. a real ship) Fincantieri would scratch their head...

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      Pouring Cold Water has always been a pass time in our Defence Forces. It will be Grand on the Day and shure we'll training in the Operational unit is the zero cost hope of the diluted unit. We MUST be always GOOD to GO. As regards Deirdre, she was scrapped because her purchaser and Mentor Died, and her new owners had no money.
                      Holding onto Eithne post replacement and replacing the P on her hull with an A might be an altogether more beneficial prospect. She has plenty of scope for R&D, training and has a flight deck for UAV/aviation trials.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25 pounder View Post
                        According to the march edition of Sea Breezes she is going to be refitted by Fincantieri at a cost of €7million.It will take 6 months to compleate and will be carried out at La Spezia.
                        Sounds like we gained by giving it away no doubt the PAC won't see it that way

Comment

• Certainly NOT against that idea, but might need some extra money spent on technical refurbishment.

Comment

Do you see any steam powered Naval vessels still in service?
                            Quite a few actually, the USN CVN's are still in service last I heard.

Comment

• I noticed in a thread that P62 AFM rescued 500+ migrants. off the coast of Libya. Can I say Bravo Zulu to our adopted brothers at sea and how well they are doing. I am impressed how well they have taken to the bigger ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                I noticed in a thread that P62 AFM rescued 500+ migrants. off the coast of Libya. Can I say Bravo Zulu to our adopted brothers at sea and how well they are doing. I am impressed how well they have taken to the bigger ship.
                                Only response that I have to that is (a) thanks and (b) you gents certainly built them well!
                                She's currently having a GENSET overhaul and will be back at sea in a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X