Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    R&C for 113th Bn is for a 440 person full IRISHBATT.
    The "extra company" has been hashed together. They have added an Inf Pl to B Coy, Recce Coy and somehow one to BSG as well
    They have avoided the requirement for an additional Comdt, Capt, CS and CQ plus admin / logs staff but it is very much a fudge.

Fortunately it will only be for 2 x rotations

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
      The "extra company" has been hashed together. They have added an Inf Pl to B Coy, Recce Coy and somehow one to BSG as well
      They have avoided the requirement for an additional Comdt, Capt, CS and CQ plus admin / logs staff but it is very much a fudge.

Fortunately it will only be for 2 x rotations
      I am aware of that. I can read.

A fudge it may be but it was obviously deemed necessary by someone. In any case, it's good news for privates and JNCOs.

Comment

I am aware of that. I can read.
        Wind your neck in. You have the R&C, I have R&C, the vast majority of those on here have not got the R&C.

For those that have not got a copy of the R&C, a lot of the BSG elements have not had a significant increase in technicians which is good for the sustainability due to the constraints with the numbers of techies available

Comment

Wind your neck in. You have the R&C, I have R&C, the vast majority of those on here have not got the R&C.

For those that have not got a copy of the R&C, a lot of the BSG elements have not had a significant increase in technicians which is good for the sustainability due to the constraints with the numbers of techies available
          It is sufficiently wound in, thanks. If you quote me directly it's fair to assume you are addressing me or the content I posted.

Your second paragraph above would have sufficed.

Comment

• MOD: Keep it civil gentlemen.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Have foreign officers have ever deployed as part of an Irish contingent or Bn before?

Comment

Have foreign officers have ever deployed as part of an Irish contingent or Bn before?
                ?

Swedish, Finnish (and I think) Estonian have been part of Irish led Bn’s in the past

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  ?

Swedish, Finnish (and I think) Estonian have been part of Irish led Bn’s in the past
                  Finnish and Estonian only. In the Leb. Swedes in Liberia

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    ?

Let me rephrase.

Have foreign troops ever deployed with an Irish overseas mission?

The R&C includes an officer and NCO from a foreign military which are included in the Irish strength.

Comment

Let me rephrase.

The R&C includes an officer and NCO from a foreign military which are included in the Irish strength.
                      Very few Irish missions due to the triple lock. Only really Op Pontus and IHSG.

Being from other countries they

Comment

Let me rephrase.

In reality it is no different to what is happening in UNIFIL now, except the R&C shows the appts instead of omitting them

Comment

• 100 extra troops now headed to keep peace in Lebanon

More than 100 extra Irish troops are being deployed with Unifil, the United Nations peacekeeping force in Lebanon, to fill a gap left by the withdrawal of Finnish and Estonian soldiers from the mission.

This will bring the overall number of members of the Defence Forces based in Lebanon to 467, which is the biggest deployment there since 2011.

It will increase the size of the Irish contribution to peace operations overseas to around 700 personnel and, as most of them are drawn from the Army, will represent about 10pc of the strength of that part of the military organisation.

Writing in the Irish Independent today, Minister with responsibility for Defence Paul Kehoe confirmed the Government plans to provide more peacekeepers to help the Lebanese authorities.

The minister is expected to bring a memorandum before the Cabinet shortly to outline his proposals to deploy an additional 107 Defence Forces personnel, primarily privates and non-commissioned officers (NCO) with a small number of officers.

Ireland's contribution to the mission currently stands at some 380 personnel, who are part of a joint Irish/Finnish battalion in the area around At Tiri, with two military posts on the 'Blue Line', which separates Lebanon and Israel. The Estonian contingent is also involved there. The Finnish government says its troops are being withdrawn because of other national commitments and will leave in November. The Estonians will pull out at the same time.

After examining several options, Department of Defence officials are in discussion with the Czech authorities to replace the Finns and Estonians.

In the meantime, the Irish offered to fill the gap for a year from November and send out an extra two companies with the next contingent when the existing battalion hands over after a six-month deployment.

The decision is seen as a major boost to the prospects of privates and NCOs gaining overseas experience.
                          More than 100 extra Irish troops are being deployed with Unifil, the United Nations peacekeeping force in Lebanon, to fill a gap left by the withdrawal of Finnish and Estonian soldiers from the mission.

Comment

• 2 extra companies? Not sure where the MOS got that from! There are extra platoons, there are NO extra companies

Comment

• platoon ? Company ? - someone in DOD has given the journo the wrong info.... Tom Brady is the security correspondent at the indo...

Would imagine he would know the diff between a company and a platoon!
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

In reality it is no different to what is happening in UNIFIL now, except the R&C shows the appts instead of omitting them
                                In reality it is because it is likely the two personnel will participate in the entire form up in Ireland. Which, has not been done before to my knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X