No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake to de-comission the AML90's without a replacement. They make people think twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tempest View Post
      Mistake to de-comission the AML90's without a replacement. They make people think twice.
      The big gun is nice alright but surely they're a bit dated from the IED/RPG point of view?

I'm speaking from a position of complete ignorance here btw (wouldn't be the first time says yous), but surely something more modern, albeit with a slightly smaller boomstick is a better option?
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• I don't think I'm being unreasonable by saying I think everyone should be issued an Iron Man style exo-skeleton when headed overseas
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• grrrrrrrrr.....

whats that i hear you ask? its a great big fcuk off Leopard says i.

(thats a 62 tonne Leopard 2A6 Main Battle Tank for those of you wondering if i've been at the crackpipe this morning...) @Mick O'Toole - if i was a curious chap, i might be interested to know why the Irish Ministry of Finance - err... i mean the Irish Army is one of the very few European Army's who undertake peacekeeping operations without taking a few hugely intimidating MBT's with them... i'm sure there's an excellent doctrinal explanation.

Comment

• If the troops can't be adequately armed because of the mandate and won't be adequately led by UNDOF HQ then I'm not seeing why they should be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
              grrrrrrrrr.....

(thats a 62 tonne Leopard 2A6 Main Battle Tank for those of you wondering if i've been at the crackpipe this morning...) @Mick O'Toole - if i was a curious chap, i might be interested to know why the Irish Ministry of Finance - err... i mean the Irish Army is one of the very few European Army's who undertake peacekeeping operations without taking a few hugely intimidating MBT's with them... i'm sure there's an excellent doctrinal explanation.
              €€€
              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
              He put a bullet through his brain.
              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                It would be interesting to know who ordered the FMR out to rescue the first batch of Filipino troops, I believe the COS there is a Filipino Colonel, while the Mission Commander is Maj Gen Singh Singha.
                The COS resigned yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                  grrrrrrrrr.....

Because we don't have any

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                    The big gun is nice alright but surely they're a bit dated from the IED/RPG point of view?

I'm speaking from a position of complete ignorance here btw (wouldn't be the first time says yous), but surely something more modern, albeit with a slightly smaller boomstick is a better option?
                    Without replacement

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                    I don't think I'm being unreasonable by saying I think everyone should be issued an Iron Man style exo-skeleton when headed overseas
                    Force protection is more important than mission?

Originally posted by pym View Post
                    Agree that it's finished without Israeli & Assad support - the question is, what does widening the mandate mean, given that the threat to the UN is from the rebel factions - who are a common enemy to both Israel & Assad.
                    A UN mission can't occur without the consent of the parties (otherwise it is an invasion). UNDOF has done a very good job (ie there has been no major fighting between Syria and Israel).

The issue is now another party
                    Last edited by DeV; 3 September 2014, 21:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      A UN mission can't occur without the consent of the parties (otherwise it is an invasion). UNDOF has done a very good job (ie there has been no major fighting between Syria and Algeria).

The issue is now another party
                      I'll go out on a limb and say you meant Israel..

Yes the issue is because of the presence of another party - and it effectively puts the UN forces on the ground, Syrian government & Israeli forces all on the same side.

The Israeli press is saying Assad's forces are doing everything to try and avoid firing towards Israeli territory.

Assad's forces wont complain if the Israeli's take out a dozen rebels in an airstrike on Syrian territory.

Thus I'm not really convinced of the wisdom of being there - at least under the current UN auspices.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        History would suggest otherwise.
                        When all options were exhausted and only after doing a lot of damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tempest View Post
                          Mistake to de-comission the AML90's without a replacement. They make people think twice.
                          No, if this was an AML 90s Vs IED incident we'd have had three dead crew.

MRV would be the preferred weapon of choice there at the moment.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• was it an IED, which raises all sorts of issues or a legacy mine from previous conflicts? Was the car repaired?

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                              I'll go out on a limb and say you meant Israel..

Yes the issue is because of the presence of another party - and it effectively puts the UN forces on the ground, Syrian government & Israeli forces all on the same side.

The Israeli press is saying Assad's forces are doing everything to try and avoid firing towards Israeli territory.

Assad's forces wont complain if the Israeli's take out a dozen rebels in an airstrike on Syrian territory.

Thus I'm not really convinced of the wisdom of being there - at least under the current UN auspices.
                              You limb is safe

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                                was it an IED, which raises all sorts of issues or a legacy mine from previous conflicts? Was the car repaired?
                                Most likely an IED. It was on a road so it wasn't a mine that has been forgotten about. The mowags had already passed over the spot where the device was so there is a good chance that it wasn't a mine and the device detonated after the mowags were attacked with small arms which is consistent with the methods for a command detonation IED attack.
                                The car was probably repair but I couldn't say for sure. We have plenty of experience repairing them anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X