• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARW: Terms of Service

ARW: Terms of Service

Just seeking some info on the wing:

Are you required to sign an EOS?

How much does the cost on your ticket go up after you complete selection? And after certain skills courses?

Any other non-restricted info on terms of service.
    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

There was a newspaper article with the conditions in it a few years back (think it was part of a Sunday World supplement on the DF). Will try and find it.

I know one of the restrictions is that you must live within a specfic distance of the Curragh during your service with the Wing.

Members of the ARW are the professionals of the professionals, you have to be extremely committed to pass selection, never mind the basic skills course. Is someone who is talking about buying themselves out really that committed?

Comment

Is someone thinking of getting skilled up for future employment????
      There are probably easier ways than having to go through that type of hell!

Comment

don't go discouraging me now.
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          There was a newspaper article with the conditions in it a few years back (think it was part of a Sunday World supplement on the DF). Will try and find it.

I know one of the restrictions is that you must live within a specfic distance of the Curragh during your service with the Wing.

Members of the ARW are the professionals of the professionals, you have to be extremely committed to pass selection, never mind the basic skills course. Is someone who is talking about buying themselves out really that committed?
          Would apprecaite that. Thanks.

Just weighin up options. Never said I was thinkin about leaving the army. I'd just like to know what I'd be getting myself into.

Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
          Is someone thinking of getting skilled up for future employment????
          There are probably easier ways than having to go through that type of hell!
          I just like the badge.
          Hell??? It can't be that bad!
          WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

I just like the badge.
            Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aahahahahahaha..

Comment

Well Snacker if it doesn`t work out, you can always come and join us.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
                Well Snacker if it doesn`t work out, you can always come and join us.

Who's that?? The medics or the Brits??

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyjim View Post
                  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aahahahahahaha..

??? huh ???

Comment

i would look at selection as more of a career course than anything else.

if you pass it and go onto gaining entry into the unit, expect promotion (and to have to do a PNCO course) and a huge increase in the tempo of work, both training and operationally.

if that sounds like too much commitment or you are wavering on leaving the DF then maybe it is not for you.

however, if it is a case of you want to soldier and are not fulfilled at the moment then it is the way to go. at the very least if you go for selection (and don't pass) you will learn more on the course than any other in the DF.

i have seen friends use it as an opportunity to avoid the EOS requirements of the current contract system, in that passing selection and getting into the wing has meant they have met and far exceeded all the requirements to continue service. after all the time and investment in training up somebody the powers that be are highly unlikely to want or let you go on your ticket.
                    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by Snacker View Post
                      Who's that?? The medics or the Brits??

Yes

Comment

Would apprecaite that. Thanks.

Just weighin up options. Never said I was thinkin about leaving the army. I'd just like to know what I'd be getting myself into.

I just like the badge.
                        Oh my god. Now there is a reason for joining if ever i heard one.
                        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

I remember a Cosantoir article that called 1st day of training "Like opening the gates of Mordor".

So yes, that bad.
                          Last edited by Slacker; 4 January 2007, 18:33.
                          If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post

So you'd have to live in Kildare then? After going through "the gates of Mordor" they force you to do that? Sorry, that's a bridge too far. I want out! ARWs loss is...their loss I suppose.
                            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

It's grand really, i did mine yesterday, we did a section-in-attack, had some tea and crumpets, after which i had a nice refreshing bath.

Off you go matey
                              Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                              X