No announcement yet.

PDF retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like the type of return you get when you ring a unit the day after a return was due and are told it is on the COs desk. An hour later you get some shite like that.

RACOs runs to 200+ pages, PDFORRAs is about 3 pages if you take out all of the completely irrelevant ICTU Annex. Less if you take out the introduction & executive summary.

Why has their submission got overtime and HRA hours?

Comment

There is huge scope for improvements in the efficiency of admin (time saving, simplification, accuracy, timeliness, less RoW, etc etc).

A bit of updating of procedures, DFRs and Admin Instrs.

Leverage workflows in Sharepoint

That would improve a lot of underlying issues
      Last edited by DeV; 10 May 2018, 17:32.

Comment

Lads calm your ovaries.That was the initial submission. The real meat and two veg was only just submitted and hasn't been published on that site yet and I am told it is a lot more in depth.
        Last edited by apod; 10 May 2018, 22:48.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

PDFORRA didn’t make a submission on the initial or pensions consultations

Comment

Eldar Berli, inntil nylig sjef for Brigade Nord, mener Norge trenger en ekstra brigade og minst 78 nye stridsvogner. Et lavere tall kan svekke bataljonene. I tillegg er det en risiko for at selve operasjonskonseptet til Hæren undergraves, tror Berli. Av THORSTEIN KORSVOLD / thorstein@aldrimer.no I slutten av mars gikk brigader Eldar Berli av som sjef for Brigade Nord, etter fire år. I dag er hans viktigste råd til politikerne at Hæren må bli større,...

Visual indication of the size of 3,500 troops on this photo of Norway's Nord Bde during Joint Reindeer 2018.

Joint Reindeer 2018 was an Artic exercise involving 5000 troops, equivalent in size to Ireland's brigade forces combined
            Last edited by TangoSierra; 13 May 2018, 21:00. Reason: Corrected count of troops in photo

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post

Eldar Berli, inntil nylig sjef for Brigade Nord, mener Norge trenger en ekstra brigade og minst 78 nye stridsvogner. Et lavere tall kan svekke bataljonene. I tillegg er det en risiko for at selve operasjonskonseptet til Hæren undergraves, tror Berli. Av THORSTEIN KORSVOLD / thorstein@aldrimer.no I slutten av mars gikk brigader Eldar Berli av som sjef for Brigade Nord, etter fire år. I dag er hans viktigste råd til politikerne at Hæren må bli større,...

Visual indication of the size of the whole Irish Army today based on this photo of Norway's Nord Bde of circa 5500 troops
              About 3000 to 3500 in that photo

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                About 3000 to 3500 in that photo
                Thanks for the correction. I was going off the press release from Joint Reindeer.

Comment

Any mileage in looking at GI-type Act: in general accummulated benefits for periods of service? Can't help but feel that non-pay benefits are the way to go for a lot of public sector jobs nowadays. Not right but, in truth, probably realistic. A guaranteed first year or foundation year on a degree or similar course would be a valuable benefit to the individual with wider social (social mobility) and economic (improved productivity) benefits. Further benefits with longer or some other form of service would be accummulated along the way.
                  The place of the DF member may need to be seen a little wider in the context of a bouyant economy and it may be a wider benefit to the economy to have the State being able to pour well-qualified personnel intro the labour market and take the pain in relation to DF workforce planning. This, of course, means, that replenishment rather than retention becomes the guiding principle.
                  An additional approach might be to look at widening the recruitment pool, perhaps by looking to Northern Ireland in a more systematic way and, more widely, to the EEA and the Commonwealth particularly South Africa where there are opportunities in the labour market amongst well-qualified personnel stuck on the wrong side of the affirmative action line. Not entirely soemthing that sits under retention but worth considering in a broader debate.
                  Finally, no excuse for Ministers not pressing for small, but significant, benefits, for uniformed personel from business. Not a retention issue in my view much more about valuing personel in social settings and providing small non-monetary benefits which have a much wider impact on the status and self-worth of uniformed personel. For years there was a prohibition on military personel wearing uniform in the UK with the resulting disconnection between civil society and the military. This should not be allowed to happen in Ireland and in the current circumstances on deployment there should be a determined effort to keep the military as close as possible to civil society.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortitude View Post
                    An additional approach might be to look at widening the recruitment pool, perhaps by looking to Northern Ireland in a more systematic way and, more widely, to the EEA and the Commonwealth particularly South Africa where there are opportunities in the labour market amongst well-qualified personnel stuck on the wrong side of the affirmative action line. Not entirely soemthing that sits under retention but worth considering in a broader debate.
                    We can’t advertise outside the State (very very few countries can)

Who can apply?
                    - Irish citizens
                    - Refugees
                    - EEA nationals
                    - Nationals with 5 years legal unbroken residency in Ireland

There is nothing to stop a non-resident EEA National applying

Finally, no excuse for Ministers not pressing for small, but significant, benefits, for uniformed personel from business. Not a retention issue in my view much more about valuing personel in social settings and providing small non-monetary benefits which have a much wider impact on the status and self-worth of uniformed personel. For years there was a prohibition on military personel wearing uniform in the UK with the resulting disconnection between civil society and the military. This should not be allowed to happen in Ireland and in the current circumstances on deployment there should be a determined effort to keep the military as close as possible to civil society.
                    why should Government push for it, when it won’t do it themselves???

The representative associations should (and do)

Comment

• Poor pay is accepted by most militaries in return for the other benefits ( and let us not forget the high respect which service to the Colours carries - i.e. the martial caste - is accepted in UK, USA etc. There is room for some study here ).

The DF getting rid of huge property portfolios where instead Soldiers could live and start families; Mullingar for example lies idle. Doesn't help for Dublin but give it a few years. Razing Griffith and turning it into Soldiers quarters and family quarters would have shown some sort of fealty
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        God I miss D.E. Whenever you talked to him you KNEW he really,really cared.We were all like his kids and we would have followed him anywhere.
                        Never a truer statement
                        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• An awful lot of my callsign Pte- sgts putting in for the AGS. Just fed up with the way things have gone
                          Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Which says it all really, as the AGSI are saying that their members are leaving because they are so poorly paid.

Comment

• catastrophic haemorrhaging is in full progress as we speak
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• There was previously some conversation regarding the legal basis of the Minister, Department and DF

This document gives some info

Comment

Working...
                                X