Malaria Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sofa View Post
    We are not the only Army thats treated badly by its betters when things go wrong
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzNoph56ss
    i think not - i've seen first hand many times the level of support our troops receive and it's some of the finest.

warfare and welfare don't go well together but we do a damn fine job of trying to look after our blokes.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      i think not - i've seen first hand many times the level of support our troops receive and it's some of the finest.

warfare and welfare don't go well together but we do a damn fine job of trying to look after our blokes.
      I would question whether you understand what the term "Doing a damn fine job of trying to look after our blokes" actually means, the following links came from one google search using the parameters " British Soldiers problems and leaving"

Our lads are shite but thankfully they aren't doing a damn fine job of looking after us.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Veterans in the U.K. are struggling to find employment after they leave the armed forces. Stephen Beard reports.

The father of a young soldier left with severe post traumatic stress after serving in Afghanistan believes his son's mental health was destroyed by the failure of the British Army to acknowledge his son's condition.

· 1 in 4 women reports offensive male behaviour· Defence chief admits urgent action is needed
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Primetime on RTE had a programme on the effects of Larium, input from retired medical officers from the UK and US Armed Forces.
        They had serious reservations about the use of Larium. Watch it on RTE player.
        Watch all your favourite TV shows Live or On Demand on your PC, smartphone or tablet for free.

Comment

Only caught the last 10 mins or so but were they suggesting an alternative drug that can only be taken for a month or two?

Comment

All they want is proper screening and alternative treatment for those who can't take Lariam, and treatment for those suffering the effects.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              All they want is proper screening and alternative treatment for those who can't take Lariam, and treatment for those suffering the effects.
              And they 1000% should get it for all but the problem could become those who raise their hands could eventually be medically discharged which could prevent them coming forward.

Problem in Ireland is that too often the powers that be only get interested when the solicitors get involved and then start to fight the fire.

As I said I didn't see the whole programne but to say that the DF suicide rate now matches that of the civilian population, there may also be other causes.

Comment

They compared Larium and Malerone. When I first went to Africa 12 years ago I was prescribed Larium, a few mood swings (but who would notice) and some freaky dreams but otherwise everything ok. When I went back to Africa 3 years ago I was prescribed Malerone. I asked about Larium, the doctor went oh no we don't prescribe that any more. The program said last night that Malerone has been approved for long term use in the us military

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  And they 1000% should get it for all but the problem could become those who raise their hands could eventually be medically discharged which could prevent them coming forward.

Exactly, and bear in mind only a small % suffer adversely, when it first started they only wanted proper treatment for those suffering, proper screening to ensure no others suffer, alternative malaria for those whom Lariam affects, and no diminished career or overseas prospects for those involved.
                  If the Minister at the time had acted properly, then there would have been no programme last night and a couple of extra Soldiers eating their breakfasts at home this morning.

We genuinely know our Ministers aren't evil, nor do they knowingly want to hurt our troops, so one has to ask why they do what they do to our troops, and bearing in mind that the Minister is only a temporary position then one surely has to look at the permanent power that sits behind the throne and that's the senior civil servants- they have to be advising the minister to fight this and not give in, I cannot fathom any reason why they would do so, and I don't think they are evil or wish harm to our troops.

But like the senior civil servant who ruled we didn't need hearing protection, the senior civil servant who insists on Lariam will one day retire on a nice pension and know that if the shit hits the Lariam fan then his pension and perks are safe and his name will never be mentioned.

Comment

I wouldn't say the IMB are blameless either, 4/5 years to get a risk of suicide on box

Comment

Originally posted by B Inman View Post
                      Primetime on RTE had a programme on the effects of Larium, input from retired medical officers from the UK and US Armed Forces.
                      They had serious reservations about the use of Larium. Watch it on RTE player.
                      http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10151105/
                      Have recorded it from last night and will be watching it hopefully over the weekend... sad viewing the bit I did catch last night
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        Have recorded it from last night and will be watching it hopefully over the weekend... sad viewing the bit I did catch last night
                        I saw the RTE programme, interesting enough, maybe a bit sensational. I was issued meflaquin (Larium) in both 2003 and 2006. Never bothered me personally, some of the lads did have weird dreams, others had GI issues. Then, in late 2006, the US Army stopped issueing and switched to Doxycycline. The Larium was linked to some side effects, especially in the wake of the Bragg shootings. It was also (so our Bn Surgeon was told) an economic decision as Doxy is an antibotic and can be bought in massive, generic quantities. I'm sure the truth is in the middle somewhere as usual.

I took both, as I'd rather not deal with malaria, but I don't know enough about tropical medicine to argue either way. Given there is a growing body of evidence about the side effects of larium, I would have though the DF would take the more conservative approach of staying away from it.

Given the growing awareness of PTSD, it's probably hard to find a direct cause & effect to the drug. Was it the drug, was it the deployment, was it the PTSD? Sadly we'll probably never know.

As regards the litigation, well, it'll all come out in court at this point. And I'm sure, as with all litigation there are a few ready to jump on the bandwagon. Given the trend with other countries staying away from the drug, this could go badly for the DF.

Comment

I seen this on Facebook.

Attached Files

Comment

Not surprising, particularly given that former members of an Illegal organisation have taken such an interest in the campaign.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The only TD that would actually sit down and listen to them was Aeonghas, I hate the Shinners as much as the next guy, but fore feck sake Fine Gael wouldn't meaningfully meet with them, Shatter tell porkies about them and now the Judge non Judge is monitoring them.

At least AOS actually did something.

Comment

Yeah but do we have to sell our souls to the devil in the process??
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X