Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who still use the hexi stove and cant get a metal mug to balance right on it ,try turning the stove over and pushing the prongs into the ground.The mug will now sit on the upturned stove perfectly.You then place the tabs on the ground underneath(dont worry they will still work).Before doing this dig a small pit to place stove in.Mud doesnt burn,it breaks the wind thus helping the water/food to boil faster. Also when you break camp you can replace the sod thereby helping to preserve the enviroment and reduce tell tale ground sign.
    Make sure you bring all trash with you in a ziploc bag.Why cant i bury it? Example (and sorry but this is gonna hurt but its true)was last year while training recruits.We occupied a basecamp site that had been occupied 24 hrs previously by a dublin RDF unit( no offence to dubs but thats where they were from!).The place was like a knacker halting site with ration pack rubbish everywhere and worse still they hadnt dug a latrine!! The sad thing was that for some recruits who had no previous military experience and had never encountered the RDF,this was their first impression.All i could hear was recruits muttering under their breath "****ing sandbags". As i have said before act professional and you will be seen as professional in your habits thus breeding respect.

P.S: The new hexi stoves come with a adaptor for the metal mug.for those who still choose to use them
    Last edited by apod; 18 April 2009, 15:03.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      Make sure you bring all trash with you in a ziploc bag.Why cant i bury it?Example (and sorry but this is gonna hurt but its true)was last year while training recruits.We occupied a basecamp site that had been occupied 24 hrs previously by a dublin fca unit( no offence to dubs but thats where they were from!).The place was like a knacker halting site with ration pack rubbish everywhere and worse still they hadnt dug a latrine!!The sad thing was that for some recruits who had no previous military experience and had never encountered the fca,this was their first impression.All i could hear was recruits muttering under their breath"****ing sandbags".As i have said before act professional and you will be seen as professional in your habits thus breeding respect.

Funny you should mention that. My first time out on the ground we occupied a patrol harbour in stranaheely and were told it was used two nights before by a PDF platoon. Same conditions as you mentioned above. Except for the latrine bit.
      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

excellent posts Apod. well thought out raesoning for where everything goes.

just a few variations for people to consider also.

i like to carry my boonie hat and/or head-over and meraklon gloves all in one of the lower smock pockets. in the other i put mozzy net, mozzy cream, cam cream small torch, toilet paper, etc.
        i then carry any loose ration items e.g. boiled sweets, chocolate, biscuits, etc. in one of the chest pockets. this way you keep them in one place and can get munchies quickly at rest stops, re-orgs etc. in the patrol harbour each evening refill pocket from rations in the bergan.

i agree with carrying little more than maps in the trousers.
        get some elastic material from a home furnishing shop and thread it into the bottoms of the combat trousers. knot the ends of the material together and your combats are permanently elasticated. no need to carry any trouser twistys and material will never unhook like twistys can.
        wear a pair of braces for combat trousers. this way they will not move down even when soaking wet or caked in mud, etc. anybody who remembers the old olive drab combats will know how heavy they got when wet through.

i do carry a small stove (gas or hexi whichever you prefer ) in one of the utility pouches on my cefo. i also fill it with the remaining meals/brew items from a 24hr ration pack and waterproofed fuel and a lighter. that way you can operate for 24hrs with what you wear and cefo if the worst comes to the worst ( i know it rarely happens but always nice to be able to get a hot brew or food ). this way on your cefo you have ammo, water, and food.

usually i have the right and left ammo pouches and three utility pouches set up as Apod described. one utility pouch with waterbottle/cup, one with stove and rations, third for rifle cleaning kit, first aid kit ( all waterproofed ) and spare ammo, gpmg belts, equipment to task as required.
        Last edited by X-RayOne; 3 October 2006, 00:45.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
          Funny you should mention that. My first time out on the ground we occupied a patrol harbour in stranaheely and were told it was used two nights before by a PDF platoon. Same conditions as you mentioned above. Except for the latrine bit.
          Sorry ,did i touch a nerve? Having said that yes i have seen some poor standards from PDF personnel on occasion,but never as bad as this.I swear to god it looked like a landfill site.In general pln sgts of PDF platoons inspect the basecamp site before we move off.God help anybody who leaves trash behind.

For those who still insist on using bthe rocket pouches a good trick is to attach the harness to the pouch with your warm kit (if you pack the tm201 way) and then zip on the pouch to the bergan making sure to tuck away all the loose straps.Thus if you need to ditch your pack your single pouch acts as a mini shoot and scoot bag.Thats what we were thaught in recruit trg many moons ago.Much prefer the daysack method myself as you can pack more in.
          Last edited by apod; 8 May 2010, 15:47.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I've got a hydration pack (worth the weight of a container full of them in gold) it only has a small pocket on the front. Its not one of the big flashy expensive ones it does what I ask of it. Its grand if I'm wearing CEFO or reduced CEMO, but, when I'm wearing CEMO if I put it anywhere else apart from either over or under the flap on the bergen, it unbalances it the bergen.

Therefore I've got a couple of cheap carabiners (one attached to the top of the hydration pack and one to the bottom), I clip them to the bergen where ever I can (I've found that the straps behind the rocket pouches are handy for this.

It means that if I want to get something out of the bergen, I may have to unclip one of the carabiners but it just takes a moment. It works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              In general pln sgts of pdf platoons inspect the basecamp site before we move off.God help anybody who leaves trash behind.
              Unfortunately these days, that only means an essay, as shouting at people only hurts their feelings.
              One little tip from me:
              don't bring your foot powder with you in the original container; empty it out into a large ziploc bag. Then you apply it to your feet by inserting one foot at a time and shaking the bag. This means that you lose less powder, and you don't spill any onto the deck near your bivvy. Keep this ziploc bag in your socks bag; thus, if it bursts, the powder will be on your socks, and won't be wasted entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Parts View Post
                Unfortunately these days, that only means an essay, as shouting at people only hurts their feelings.
                Rookie, Bailer etc take note. Way before my time.......

Comment

Tips which I find Useful

Pack: Use a heavy duty industrial binbag to line your pack. Has to be heavy duty to stop noise and retain airtight integrity. Don’t use Biodegradable bags! Don’t laugh, I’ve seen it done. Flakes apart after a couple of months. The Packs are supposed to be weather proof but after a couple of days in the rain its anything but.
                  The pack will have enough reserve buoyancy to float if you have to ford a water obstacle (river, canal etc). You can place your weapon on the pack, in the ready position. Also useful if members of your team can’t swim. Plus all your kit remains dry.
                  Ziplock bag everything in your pack.
                  Clothes, you can squeeze the air out and increase space in the pack.
                  Pieces of kit are easy to locate and redistribute in your pack. Eliminates cross contamination. Second layer of weatherproofing . Wet gear weighs more.
                  Can be used for everything – food storage/longevity, rubbish, kindling (fire), latrine.
                  Ziplocking faeces - wait about 15mins to cool, otherwise air will heat and bag will inflate and increase risk of “popping”. Always double bag and use top pouch on Pack for segregation.
                  Always have matches and a lighter again use ziplock bags. Zippo lighters continuously leak and require topping up every couple of days so I don’t use them, always the possibility will contaminate food.
                  E&E Kit - Candle. Always bring a half a candle with wick showing. Can be used as kindling for fire –shave wax off with knife. Use for light, sterilising cutting instruments, needles for stitching etc.
                  Bug Juice – Best stuff on the market “Avon Moisturiser”. It’s the business, I kid you not. Trust me, I tried them all, this actually works so raid the missus cosmetic locker and nick her Avon Moisturiser. No other moisturiser will work.
                  Wipes – Go for something like Dove or Natural Waterproof Mascara/Make up removal wipes. They have no scent (they do but its minimal) and great for removing camo cream.
                  Toothbrush – cut in half to reduce weight and space.
                  Shaving foam and toothpaste can be bought in small tubes (for travellers). Boots are ideal for this.
                  Compass – place loop through buttonhole of left breast pocket of smock. You don’t have to rummage around in pocket to find it. You will never lose it as it is secured to your pocket. The buttonhole is so big you can still close your pocket.
                  Whistle – place loop through right breast pocket buttonhole. Same thing, find instantly and never lose it.

The above I find useful to me. I hope they’re of use to others here.
                  Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

[QUOTE]
                    Originally posted by Parts View Post
                    I hear that!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                      If you're rich, get one of these: http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cook.../Personal-(PCS)

Great Outdoors in Dublin do them. Very much worth it. Get the stand (goes onto the bottom of the cylinder to stop it falling over) and pot support (lets you use a metal mug/mess tin instead of the jetboil cup) too.
                      How do you cook your main meal from the ration pack using this system??
                      I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

use the pot stand for the main meal in the rations. just rest the main meal container on the stand and cook away. open the container a little to stir the contents just to make sure its all evenly heated.

the boil in the bag meals fit into the cup no problem. scrunch them up a bit, put in the cup and add water till about half full. boil away for a few minutes, take the boil in the bag out and stir it a bit in case there are any cold spots and munch away. u will also have enough boiled water in the cup for a nice brew of coffee or tea.

as most people seem to use metal mugs instead of mess tins nowadays, its probably a good idea to buy the pot stand if thinking of getting one. this way u dont need to bring the jetboil cup on the ground. thus taking up even less space in your kit.
                        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

a tip for sleeping on the ground.

if you use a lightweight sleeping bag (2-3 season, snugpak, etc ) get yourself a sleeping bag liner. they simply fit inside your bag and will give extra warmth for cold weather without the extra bulk of an artic or winter bag in your bergan.

sleeping bag liners can be got in loads of different materials, cotton, silk, fleece, etc. depending on how much extra heat you want. and are pretty cheap too.

they will pack up to the size of about an apple if not in your bag already.

they can be thrown in the washing machine and tumble dried also. so if you have to sleep in your boots only the liner is dirty and your bag is still clean.

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                            use the pot stand for the main meal in the rations. just rest the main meal container on the stand and cook away. open the container a little to stir the contents just to make sure its all evenly heated.
                            Not recommended if you get a main meal in a plastic container In that case, metal mug and pot stand are the best combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
                              How do you cook your main meal from the ration pack using this system??
                              This is the way i was thaught how to cook the main meal in recruit training by one of my instructors who was ex-ARW
                              Shake the main meal foil pack and then press down in the middle of the lid with your thumb so it make s a small dent.Now place the meal directly onto the hexi stove.Watch the pack.When the dent rises,remove pack from heat and shake(make sure you wear leather gloves to avoid burns!)>repeat this process 5-6 times and your meal will be cooked.Simple .Essentially what you are doing is cooking the meal like in a pressure cooker.The advantages are its quick.Not messy and if you get a bug out mid cooking you can throw the meal into your bergan and leg it without your food spilling everywhere.The disadvantages is that you have to watch it carefully so it doesnt explode.

Try it the next time you go on the ground.It works!

p.s dont try this with the plastic main meal containers people!!!!!!!!
                              Last edited by apod; 8 May 2010, 15:49.

Comment

"The advantages are its quick.Not messy and if you get a bug out mid cooking you can throw the meal into your bergan and leg it without your food spilling everywhere."

nice idea especially being able to keep the meal for eating after a bug out. had to leave a main meal once....wasn't a happy bunny.

Comment

Working...
                                X