No announcement yet.

Cessna Replacement - The Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they spend 30 hrs in a sim before they lay a finger on a PC-9, so it's essentially like a civvy Type rating.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      We are talking about replaced a Cessna with Mark 1 dual eye sensors and all for a budget of 15m. Given that we are not going to deploy them to a shooting war, even a Peacekeeping mission is unlikely we need not worry about MANPAD's. Despite what the rfp might say I would go for the Diamond DA62MPP, at just over 1m for the aircraft we could get a few with decent kit for our money.http://www.diamond-air.at/en/special...raft/da62-mpp/
      Looks rather like a Pucara (that the Argies operated during the Falklands War)

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        Looks rather like a Pucara (that the Argies operated during the Falklands War)

https://www.google.com/search?q=puca...w=1920&bih=955
        A Pucara would dwarf it. There is one at Duxford museum. Surprisingly big.

Comment

• Total of 44 questions submitted and a request to extend the deadline (refused)

Other manufacturers interested maybe?

Comment

• Can't remember if I posted it or not but in Logs Sp configuration it is min 9 pax or min 800 kg cargo (or combination of both) - with ISTAR and MEDEVAC equipment removed

Comment

• Could the Gardaí be looking at joining the replacement program?
              The Department of Justice 'shopping list' for gardaí includes requests for funding for major projects like a new headquarters for key units, the reopening of a Dublin station and new helicopters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                Could the Gardaí be looking at joining the replacement program?
                http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-35916629.html
                Helicopters - I doubt they are replacing, maybe additional a/c (although why they have 2 different versions of the same helo is beyond me (unless they weren't making them anymore at time of purchase) or maybe it's upgrades, of could just be increased maintenance costs

Fixed wing - AGS issued a RFI earlier this year (before the FWUA tender). The FWUA tender includes an option for a "green" 4th aircraft "of a similar type", if exercised the purchasing authority will be AGS.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Can't remember if I posted it or not but in Logs Sp configuration it is min 9 pax or min 800 kg cargo (or combination of both) - with ISTAR and MEDEVAC equipment removed
                  If those are the key requirements then both the PC12 and the Cessna 208 meet them. However the PC12 is around $5m, while the C208 is $2m. Both without mission equipment.

Comment

• The FWUA tender states that any proposed aircraft must be pressurised.

I'd suggest reading the tender spec.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                      The FWUA tender states that any proposed aircraft must be pressurised.

I'd suggest reading the tender spec.
                      So the Bluffwaffe wants a high speed toy to play with.
                      One that costs more than twice as much as the alternative and has less rough field capability. So yet another aircraft we will never see deployed overseas to support operational troops.
                      Last edited by EUFighter; 11 July 2017, 23:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                        For what it's worth, the Canadians selected the C-295W for their long range SAR replacement.

16 for CAD $2.3 Billion = $143,750,000 per aircraft = €95,097,697 per aircraft.

Apparently the bare C-295W transport version runs at about €32,000,000 a pop. Stick a radar, FLIR and other systems on board and you'll be nudging €50M at least.

God knows what the Canadians have stuck on theirs.
                        A new simulator equipped training centre
                        5 years maintanance and support (option to extend to 15 years)
                        Spares
                        Etc

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                          So the Bluffwaffe wants a high speed toy to play with.
                          One that costs more than twice as much as the alternative and has less rough field capability. So yet another aircraft we will never see deployed overseas to support operational troops.
                          In addition to reading the tender specification I'd recommend you do a little more research on the capabilities and performance of the PC-12.

Buying an aircraft should be heavily weighted to what it can achieve in the domestic environment first and foremost because it will inevitably spend most of its life carrying out domestic ops.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Helicopters - I doubt they are replacing, maybe additional a/c (although why they have 2 different versions of the same helo is beyond me (unless they weren't making them anymore at time of purchase) or maybe it's upgrades, of could just be increased maintenance costs
                            The older heli 256 will probably be retired in 2022 so they will be starting to look for the funding now.
                            The reason for the two different Garda EC135's helis is because of design improvements by Eurocopter over the years. 256 was built as a T1 model and later upgraded to a T2, 272 was built as a T2+.

Comment

• Could this be an opportunity to sell both and replace with 2 P2s to have commonality with the Air Corps helis?
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                                Could this be an opportunity to sell both and replace with 2 P2s to have commonality with the Air Corps helis?
                                The P2+ model the Air Corps have is itself also no longer manufactured. Engine commonality isn't an issue anyway as the Air Corps don't maintain the GASU helis. 272 is only half way through its service life so would be a waste to get rid of it.
                                An opportunity might be for the HSE to get a pair of its own helis for an expanded EAS in a joint tender with the Gardai.

Comment

Working...
                                X