No announcement yet.

Mali.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish troops with EUTM Mali voting in Koulikro, Mali.

Commandant Michael Nestor, from Laois, who is responsible to the administration of the postal votes in Mali opens the courier’s envelope containing the votes.

Sgt Will Lawler (Cadet School) foreground and Cpl Jeff Meehan (27th Battalion, Dundalk) background contemplate their choices.

Sgt Daniel Smyth of Cadet School.

Sgt Gerry Duff from Dublin casts his vote.

Last edited by Rhodes; 23 May 2014, 12:07.

Comment

• Cousin in the picture there...hope they didn't ask him for a quote
      Don't tell them Pike

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post

Sgt Daniel Smyth of Cadet School.
        Hands down the best NCO I've come across since joining the DF.

Comment

• You haven't met many so!!
          Some brilliant ones out there around the country.I could name 5-10 just off the top of my head!!(Not including myself of course.Too modest)
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• the guilty know who they are, stay roughly on topic, please!
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Sorry :/

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                British Riflemen from 1RIFLES and Irish Soldiers from a variety of units with Mali Army soldiers today before the England v Ireland 6 Nations Rugby:

Now that's one photograph I would like to see replicated over and over again. In countries all over the world on OP's, in the UK on exercise, in Ireland on exercise, get the hell out of the EU BG which is a total waste of time, effort and resources and lets start working with our nearest and dearest. What I wouldn't give to see the ARW drink the Sgt's mess dry in Credenhill post joint exercise. Great stuff and well done to all involved, long mat it last and form the basis for a more productive relationship.
                We travel not for trafficking alone,
                By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

• Mali.

The DF have been over on exercise and courses many times . Sometimes pics where not allowed for security reasons
                  And once I was there for the fact the government didn't want anyone to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser
                    The DF have been over on exercise and courses many times . Sometimes pics where not allowed for security reasons
                    And once I was there for the fact the government didn't want anyone to know.
                    Good to hear it, shame about our political masters but the more it happens the harder it is to deny, especially with aunty broadcasting the way she does. But at least its happening and any contact (excuse the expression) is good. Pint in the Barrels anyone?
                    We travel not for trafficking alone,
                    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

• Nine UN peacekeepers killed in attack on convoy in Mali

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                        pics of some Riflemen from 1RIFLES training soldiers in Mali recently:

Big emphasis on ear protection quite obvious!

Comment

• PARIS, Oct 29 (Reuters) - A French soldier was killed in northern Mali on Wednesday morning during an operation against a terrorist group, the French president's office said.

The death brings to 10 the number of French soldiers killed in Mali since France launched its military operation in January 2013 to drive out Islamist militants who had seized control of the country's north.

The sergeant was in a commando parachutist unit conducting an operation in the mountainous Adrar des Ifoghas region, the statement from the president's office said.
                          We are the corporate foundation of Thomson Reuters, the global news and information services company. We work to advance media freedom, raise awareness of human rights issues, and foster more inclusive economies.

RIP

Comment

• Found this today.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Good article, apart from the "Lt Cl" abbreviation. I see plenty of baseball caps in evidence on the DF personnel. Any reason why they can't be in issued DPM?
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Maybe there not issued , but privately purchased for the mission.

Comment

Working...
                                X