Modern Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    The Modern 57mm is near identical in performance to the modern 76mm OTO Melara, that was in use with the USCG.
    Is that including the Straless system or the volcano rounds?

Comment

• Only if you add the Bofors 57mm Mk 3 and 3P to the mix.
      And it's Vulcano.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Most modern naval builds are not good at taking a solid hit as they are built lightly. Often the bridge and operations/communications areas are constructed of aluminum. Elaborate chunky masts are also often of aluminum material. Hulls are at most 9mm with thickening around the keel and anchor pockets. The OPV types are usually built with MN plating around 10mm and up to 20mm in areas of wear, and are heavily insulated in aluminum areas for fire, but would need kevlar protection also in operations areas including open gun positions. An OPV built to a Llyods standard is more bullet proof than a ship built to warship scantlings.
        Ships go where directed and performance will always be proportional to ability. Give them the required weapon fit and they will perform.

Comment

• Spanish Air Force Achieves 7,000 Flying Hours with Operation Atalanta

Not sure if this should be in the IAC forum, but since it's EUNAVFOR Somalia, seems to be an apt home for it! Would be great to see an AC CASA down there (falling in with the Spanish CASA logs support).

The Spanish Air Force Orion detachment, which is currently deployed in Djibouti with the EU Naval Force, has achieved an impressive 7,000 flying hours milestone. The Air Force detachment flies the P-3 Orion and CN-235 VIGMA aircraft and their main task is to conduct surveillance flights in the Indian Ocean and along the Somali coastline to look for suspected pirate ships and camps along the Somali coast.

The Orion detachment is an Expeditionary Tactical Unit and comprises fifty personnel, who are drawn from different units in the Spanish Air Force. The 7,000 milestone was celebrated on 16 May 2015 at the Orion detachment premises in Djibouti and was attended by both civilian and military personnel.

The detachment has been part of Operation Atalanta since the start of the Mission in December 2008 and has flown more than 933 missions, taken over 120,000 photos, identified over a thousand suspected vessels and travelled the distance equivalent to flying fifty times around the world.

Comment

• Piracy patrols

Originally posted by Herald View Post
            A month long deployment?

Wasn't she built on spec for the French by DCNS with a 20mm up front and a few machine guns?

Sounds like the French are just working her up and seeing the capabilities.
            New ships on first piracy patrols need to be aware that dealing with pirates has a multi legal set of Rules of Engagement attached eg. UN Law of the Sea, The Hague Convention, The National laws of the pirates country of origin, and the Laws of the territorial seas where a hot incident occurs. There are two Italian Marines currently facing murder charges for shooting two Indian fishermen dead, whom they thought were pirates. The Indian Government are taking a hardline on the matter as National Law applies in their opinion. It's all available on Italian News in English.

Comment

• Well in the EUNAVFOR Somalia AO (ie the western Indian Ocean), there was only 1 attempted attack in 2014 and none in 2015 so far.

That is not to say that if the forces of all nations were withdrawn that it would stay that way for long.

I would argue that an Irish participation should be limited to say 2-3 AVPDs (approx a pln)

In the medium to long term we may be better putting the resources into EUCAP Nestor
              Last edited by DeV; 28 June 2015, 09:12.

Comment

• ESPS Galicia, ARC 7 De Agosto Meet off Somalia

On Saturday 22 August, ESPS Galicia rendezvoused with ARC 7 De Agosto off the coast of Somalia as part of the Colombian warship’s collaboration with Operation Atalanta.

Whilst carrying out a replenishment at sea (RAS) of stores and food, the EU Force Commander, Rear Admiral Alfonso Fernández Gómez de Córdoba, and members of ESPS Galicia’s crew were flown on board ARC 7 De Agosto by the Colombian warship’s Augusta Bell 412 helicopter.

Since the start of the collaboration, the Colombian warship has worked with the EU Naval Force to help protect World Food Programme (WFP) vessels and vulnerable shipping along the Somali coastline and also to deter acts of piracy in the Gulf of Aden.

Colombian Navy on EU mission, shows how strapped EU are for assets. Good Fassmer OPV design also.

On Saturday 22 August, ESPS Galicia rendezvoused with ARC 7 De Agosto off the coast of Somalia as part of the Colombian warship’s collaboration with Operation Atalanta. Whilst carrying out a replenishment at sea (RAS) of stores and food, the EU Force Commander, Rear Admiral Alfonso Fernández Gómez de Córdoba, and members of ESPS Galicia’s […]

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  Why not just give them a fishing line, desalination kit and a pair of oars, stripping the boat of everything else.
                  Cause at the end of the day, globalisation and the profit each and every one of us in the western world benefited from, has caused this to the Somalis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Napp View Post
                    Cause at the end of the day, globalisation and the profit each and every one of us in the western world benefited from, has caused this to the Somalis.
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Somalis ripped their country apart during the civil war without any help from the West. We tried to help them, and they ended up dragging dead Americans through the streets naked. Only themselves to blame for their s#*thole of a country in my opinion.
                    Last edited by tomh903; 28 August 2015, 17:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomh903 View Post
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Somalis ripped their country apart during the civil war without any help from the West. We tried to help them, and they ended up dragging dead Americans through the streets naked. Only themselves to blame for their s#*thole of a country in my opinion.
                      Meddling by the US & USSR hardly set them up for a utopian existence at the end of the Cold war.
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomh903 View Post
                        Colonisation didn't help

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Colonisation didn't help
                          Most Counties in Europe have had there fair share of world wars, Colonization, invasion and re invasion, Borders redrawn, Recently created

Africa's problem is not the white man, it's tribal savagery. Dumb b£4$ters drove the white man out along with there skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Colonisation didn't help
                            In fairness, and I agree its a valid argument........

How long should former colonists be guilted into helping their former colonies?
                            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Hey look at the USA. How messed up is that Colony!?

Comment

• Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Africa were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

How many tribes were separated or forced together to form a "country"

Comment

Working...
                                X