X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NNS Prosperity ex LE Emer

Originally posted by Herald View Post
    Training I think.
    Nice to still see her afloat in her 38th year of service and visually clean and presentable.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      Nice to still see her afloat in her 38th year of service and visually clean and presentable.
      Her sister is hard at work too.

540 POB is getting close to the absolute limit though, especially for any period of time.

Italian language website but some decent pics and a film clip.

Èarrivata al molo Ronciglio intorno alle 10 la nave P62, della Marina militare maltese, con a bordo 539 migranti e le salme di un uomo e di una donna...
      Last edited by Medsailor; 30 October 2016, 16:23.

Comment

• According to RTE Aisling is to auctioned

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          According to RTE Aisling is to auctioned
          Deirdre is a yacht, Emer is a Nigerian Naval vessel, Aoife is a Maltese Naval Vessel. Take Aisling and have her refurbished as a Naval School Vessel, with refit to include all current armament types, and radars . It might be possible to put a flight deck aft of the funnel for training in vertrep etc. Such a vessel could carry out all seagoing course elements such as shoots , boat work, heli-interface training. I would try a basic crew of 25 to be augmented for any overnight passages.

Comment

Deirdre is a yacht, Emer is a Nigerian Naval vessel, Aoife is a Maltese Naval Vessel. Take Aisling and have her refurbished as a Naval School Vessel, with refit to include all current armament types, and radars . It might be possible to put a flight deck aft of the funnel for training in vertrep etc. Such a vessel could carry out all seagoing course elements such as shoots , boat work, heli-interface training. I would try a basic crew of 25 to be augmented for any overnight passages.

Deirdre (Santa Rita 1) was scrapped in Green Cove Springs Jacksonville Florida in 2014!

Post #203
            Last edited by A/TEL; 19 February 2017, 14:20.

Comment

The NS don't have enough personnel for 8 vessels, never mind the 9th that's on the way

Comment

I honestly don't think the expense would be worth it...
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

There is no operational requirement for a pure training ship, not to mention the crew required to operate it. The range of smulators available at NMCI fulfil that function for the most part, with the remainder being done at sea on operational vessels.
                  She has been decommissioned as a Naval vessel. Our commitment to her is at an end, and we salute her. She deserves calmer waters in the autumn of her years. I believe some want to turn her into a museum. If they can afford the initial outlay, then best of luck to them.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    There is no operational requirement for a pure training ship, not to mention the crew required to operate it. The range of smulators available at NMCI fulfil that function for the most part, with the remainder being done at sea on operational vessels.
                    She has been decommissioned as a Naval vessel. Our commitment to her is at an end, and we salute her. She deserves calmer waters in the autumn of her years. I believe some want to turn her into a museum. If they can afford the initial outlay, then best of luck to them.
                    Beyond a few sucess stories in the US and HMS Belfast on the Thames, such projects however well intentioned are rarely successful. An aircraft carrier she is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                      Beyond a few sucess stories in the US and HMS Belfast on the Thames, such projects however well intentioned are rarely successful. An aircraft carrier she is not.
                      This, I mean how many European warships have been preserved from the 20th century, and as I understand it from the last time it was floated she's not well designed internally for "tour groups". Either sell her off or give her to another nation if it's a needed situation.

Comment

• Would not the Maltese need her for spares?

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                          Would not the Maltese need her for spares?
                          They only intend keeping Aoife until their new OPV is built

"On 18 February 2015 it was announced that the Emer class offshore patrol vessel LÉ Aoife (P22) would be transferred from the Irish Naval Service as a short term measure pending Malta's purchase of a new OPV.[1] [2] It was commissioned into the AFM on 28 June 2015 as P62.[3]"

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                            Would not the Maltese need her for spares?
                            You don't keep a ship for spares. Its not an old lawnmower.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Deirdre is now in a lot of Toyota cars ,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X