No announcement yet.

Packing list Battle vest and Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the straps go over or through the clips?
    Not sure what you are getting at.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      Not sure what you are getting at.
      I thought that you might weave the straps on the backpack or daysack through the vest, but then you couldn't get it off easily.

Was at my gear tonight and tightened up the belt on the vest and it sits much better. Put the backpack straps on the lowest setting too so the hip pads are on my hips.

Cheers for all the advice you give Apod.
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• I thought that you might weave the straps on the backpack or daysack through the vest, but then you couldn't get it off easily.
        WTF??
        No mate.You just put on the vest and close it up.If worn with Bergen open the clips on the bottom side adjuster and pull the utility pouches up and over "curve" of the bergen hip belt.When bergen is not worn close those clips.You can do same when Patrol pack is worn.

Was at my gear tonight and tightened up the belt on the vest and it sits much better. Put the backpack straps on the lowest setting too so the hip pads are on my hips.
        I hope you got properly sized before messing around with the torso setting on the Bergen.We are all different torso lengths and a 6ft tall monster may have a shorter torso than a 5"4 anklebiter as their height might be due to longer legs!
        In order to avoid injury gets sized properly! NB if you score an 18 or less on the sizing jig move the top tensioners to the lower triglide buckles behind the shoulders.The shoulder straps should cup the shoulders when worn should not pull "off" the shoulder.Make sure you put on the BV when making final adjustments to the Bergen straps.The sternum strap should run just below the bottom of the second MOLLE strip from the top of each shoulder.This should place that strap just above the PRR or M203 pouch if worn.

Cheers for all the advice you give Apod.
        That's what I am here for.If ANYBODY needs advice on this kit contact me.It is NOT the same or as simple as PLCE and needs a bit of tinkering to get right, comfortable and safe.
        The kit is expensive too and you need to look after it.

PS:Have you read the TI on it Bam Bam?
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

PS:Have you read the TI on it Bam Bam?
          Any chance of a look?
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            Any chance of a look?
            Check PM's

Comment

• Thought these might help for those who have yet to see them.
              Attached Files

Comment

• An these too
                Attached Files

Comment

An these too
                  Cheers Apod. Hadn't seen this one
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Cheers Apod, I used the measuring thingy when I was in the Clothing stores so i've my pack set for as tall as it'll go. In some sort of magical coincidence the stores staff actually gave me a Helmet & BV that fit me.
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Now to the liners for both the bergen and Patrol pack.There are pros and cons to them.On the plus side they are light and fairly waterproof when close correctly.The are also "box" shaped as opposed to tubular so you can fit larger item in on their side instaed of having to pack them vertically.They are NOT 100% waterproof though and you will still need to use smaller dry bags or ziplocs to ensure the contents stay dry.
                      The larger dry bag is also useless as it is sized for the lenght of the bergen when the internal divider is open.Once fitted you can't use the lower compartment of the Bergen separately which defeats the whole idea of having a separate compartment.The liner CAN be used for the top compartment but is really too long when used in this manner.Besides all that should be in the top compartment is your Patrol pack,which is lined anyway,and as you need to be able to whip that out quickly in a shoot and scoot situation having it packed inside the liner is a no no.
                      So in short leave the larger liner back in Bks unless you intend doing a full immersion river crossing.Use the small liner but make sure your Dry items in that are also separately waterproofed.

OH almost forgot.Both liners have velcro closures.Really non tac they are

Comment

• Ha the drybags & other ancillaries got lost going from Bde to Bn stores, just got the BV, helmet, Daysack & main pack. Think i'll buy one of those dump pouches to put on the BV belt for empty mags.
                        Last edited by The real Jack; 15 March 2014, 18:36.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          Ha the drybags & other ancillaries got lost going from Bde to Bn stores, just got the BV, helmet, Daysack & main pack. Think i'll buy one of those dump pouches to put on the BV belt for empty mags.
                          what kind of mickey mouse BS is that??Get your Q staff to source it!!IPLCS comes as a kit.All those pieces are part of it.The only thing my stores won't issue to RDF as a H&S issue is the camelbaks.They get brand new waterbottles,Avon,instead.Other than that they get full IPLCS and full sleeping system and wetgear.

Comment

• It's the pooled kit experience apod. What's issued to bods varies widely from unit to unit and the condition of said kit varies. Eg my daysack was missing the buckle on the hip belt, Lowe alpine were sound enough to send me a buckle so I'm sorted. Fast forward a year or 2 and the gear will have broken and missing bits all over the place. I won't bother pushing for the drybags as I have my own, ditto for camelbak. Luckily I have my own "buckshee" wets as I'd have to wear someone else's dirty set if I didn't.

Comment

what kind of mickey mouse BS is that??Get your Q staff to source it!!IPLCS comes as a kit.All those pieces are part of it.The only thing my stores won't issue to RDF as a H&S issue is the camelbaks.They get brand new waterbottles,Avon,instead.Other than that they get full IPLCS and full sleeping system and wetgear.
                              I got full IPLCS (including all pouches, large & small packs c/w liners) plus helmet, 2 x Camelbac, W/B with CBRN adapter, googles, elbow pads, knee pads (off the top of my head).

But no sleeping system or wet gear

Comment

• The vast majority of the stores in my unit are brand new and still in the wrapping but some is used and some very well used. The ancillaries for the BV I have not seen is our stores either.
                                Using the method in this video you can get the length of your back and then adjust your bergen yourself seeing as most place don't seem to have the stick yet.
                                The bergen has the back length in inches written beside each adjustment position.
                                Last edited by F_M; 15 March 2014, 21:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X