New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Absolutely misplaced in the man mentioned. Once promoted the game changes and they become political pawns as opposed to having in depth loyalty to the branch or units they came from.

Early was prepared to sacrifice the reserve to maintain a three brigade structure.
    apologies for dislike - clumsy fingers on phone

Comment

• Being a leader sometimes making unpopular decisions

Comment

• Anyway back to VADM Mellett.

Looking at the press release 1) This is a nomination to be a candidate, there is no guarantee that he will get it 2) It doesn't become vacant until November 2018 so it is over a year away 3) Is it a full time position? It is a council of European Chiefs of Staff, the role is to be the chairman. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is a full time position or that it involves or requires a promotion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          Anyway back to VADM Mellett.

Looking at the press release 1) This is a nomination to be a candidate, there is no guarantee that he will get it 2) It doesn't become vacant until November 2018 so it is over a year away 3) Is it a full time position? It is a council of European Chiefs of Staff, the role is to be the chairman. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is a full time position or that it involves or requires a promotion.
          It's a full time position for the Chairman so there would be a new CoS if the Admiral was appointed. Not sure about the requirement for a promotion but all others holders have had been full Generals (or equivalent) so I’d imagine that makes it a four star position. Also, one would imagine that the Chair would need to have at least parity of rank with the others on the committee and also so as to have enough prestige and influence for the position. If VADM Mellett does get accepted, I’d find it difficult to see him not getting a promotion (and the legislative changes required) to go with the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
            Time for an infantry COS to make infantry great again ;-)
            MIGA
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Being a leader sometimes making unpopular decisions
              Markie got Markie promoted.

I really thought he'd be great, he was shite and I was so wrong.

Markie boy spent more time on his personal PR than he did looking after his troops, that's his troops, lest anyone try and deflect his responsibility for the troops he leads.

The best thing Markie boy can do for the DF is f Uck off to whatever top job he has wormed for himself and let someone

Who is prepared to lead the DF, take the wheel and fix the stinking pile of shite Markie left.

If you disagree with me, tell me 3 positive things he did to enhance the life of a Pte, an Airman and a Sailor.

I've been wrong before, I thought he'd make a great COS.
              Last edited by hedgehog; 21 September 2017, 19:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                Markie got Markie promoted.

I really thought he'd be great, he was shite and I was so wrong.

Markie boy spent more time on his personal PR than he did looking after his troops, that's his troops, lest anyone try and deflect his responsibility for the troops he leads.

The best thing Markie boy can do for the DF is f Uck off to whatever top job he has wormed for himself and let someone

Who is prepared to lead the DF, take the wheel and fix the stinking pile of shite Markie left.

If you disagree with me, tell me 3 positive things he did to enhance the life of a Pte, an Airman and a Sailor.

I've been wrong before, I thought he'd make a great COS.
                I was actually referring to DE

The current COS has a different approach to previous COSs. A lot more face time, the corporate vision, being the face of the DF, optics, listening to concerns etc etc etc

It is an approach used by some business leaders

Comment

I was actually referring to DE

The current COS has a different approach to previous COSs. A lot more face time, the corporate vision, being the face of the DF, optics, listening to concerns etc etc etc

It is an approach used by some business leaders
                  I kind of was thinking of DE and comparing him to MM.

Comment

Absolutely misplaced in the man mentioned. Once promoted the game changes and they become political pawns as opposed to having in depth loyalty to the branch or units they came from.

Early was prepared to sacrifice the reserve to maintain a three brigade structure.
                    I have no issues about the preservation of structures etc. but when a man doesn't practise what he preaches his credibility becomes undone, but as I said CoS is all but a political appointment with no real teeth.

Sean McCann was another toothless tiger who fell badly at the first hurdle
                    Mark Mellet would have been far more effective for the NS as DCOS.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I have no issues about the preservation of structures etc. but when a man doesn't practise what he preaches his credibility becomes undone, but as I said CoS is all but a political appointment with no real teeth.

Sean McCann was another toothless tiger who fell badly at the first hurdle
                      Mark Mellet would have been far more effective for the NS as DCOS.

MM was a DCOS

COS, DCOS and ACOS General staff appointments aren't about being good for a particular part of the DF, they are about the whole DF

Comment

MM was a DCOS

COS, DCOS and ACOS General staff appointments aren't about being good for a particular part of the DF, they are about the whole DF
                        Exactly he was far more effective as DCOS
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Didn't he increase the size of the fleet by 12.5% as COS

Comment

Didn't he increase the size of the fleet by 12.5% as COS
                            Nope.
                            When he was FOCNS we had an 8 ship navy.
                            We still have an 8 Ship navy with him as COS.
                            Don't count your chickens etc...
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Yeah.With no one to crew the ninth ship.
                              Good planning there.
                              If Eithne and the peacocks are all replaced with an MRV and 2x MCM vessels that still leaves us at 8 ships.Now even if you transfer the old crews onto the new ships(and the MRV will most likely need a bigger crew than Eithne anyway) you still won't have the boddies to crew the new OPV.
                              Genius.

PS: Sorry for discussing squid issues in the groundpounder section.Back on thread.
                              Last edited by apod; 22 September 2017, 17:00.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                                Yeah.With no one to crew the ninth ship.
                                Good planning there.
                                If Eithne and the peacocks are all replaced with an MRV and 2x MCM vessels that still leaves us at 8 ships.Now even if you transfer the old crews onto the new ships(and the MRV will most likely need a bigger crew than Eithne anyway) you still won't have the boddies to crew the new OPV.
                                Genius.

PS: Sorry for discussing squid issues in the groundpounder section.Back on thread.
                                That would make nine, 2 x P50, 4 x P60, 2 x MCM, and 1 x MRV, total = 9.

Comment

Working...
                                X