No announcement yet.

Bunker? Near halfway in cork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one of these structures in my house , I call it Da Rugby Bunker .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
      The German plan, I believe, was to start in Dungarvin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oper...reen_(Ireland)
      That stretch of Coast highlighted would have been a very poor choice. Has to be remember that the landing craft LCIs, LCVPs and LSLs weren't available and the Germans were dependent on functioning ports to land and disembark equipment.

Cork was too heavily defended and Waterford too far upstream with the estuary overlooked and a fort at Duncannon on the estuary, New Ross the same problem and Wexford too shallow.

Dungarvan itself again too shallow , Youghal had possibilities but could very easily by blowing the bridge on the Waterford border. The employment of Paratroopers to secure any port was subject to them making it there in the first place....under the eyes of the RAF.

Yeah we were pretty safe in hindsight.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The German plan, I believe, was to start in Dungarvin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oper...reen_(Ireland)
        If the Germans had won the war by landing on the East coast of Ireland, would they have produced a movie called "Saving Private Reinhardt"? Filmed in Normandy because it is an exact replica of the original landing site in Ballinesker Beach, Curracloe Strand, County Wexford.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
          If the Germans had won the war by landing on the East coast of Ireland, would they have produced a movie called "Saving Private Reinhardt"? Filmed in Normandy because it is an exact replica of the original landing site in Ballinesker Beach, Curracloe Strand, County Wexford.
          With scenes of the ramps dropping into the surf and scores of men immediately dying under a hail of potato gunfire and turnip catapults fired from the cliffs no doubt!
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

But what would they do for extras?
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Don't the French have an FCA?

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                If you have ever visited Normandy especially Omaha beach you'll realise that its not an exact replica other than it has sand and water.

However if you were to launch an amphibious operation against Ireland using the equipment available in 1944 it is ideal.

Germans used a differnt concept of ops , so they would have needed to occupy a working port.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well if the Germans had invaded I hope they would have brought their own maps , imagine them asking some of the locals for directions and getting several different opinions as to the best way to Athlone . Apperantly the Romans did land on our shores and the Legions are still wondering around from the directions they first got from the locals .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                    Well if the Germans had invaded I hope they would have brought their own maps , imagine them asking some of the locals for directions and getting several different opinions as to the best way to Athlone . Apperantly the Romans did land on our shores and the Legions are still wondering around from the directions they first got from the locals .
                    Well, they did land in Loughshiny...

Comment

But what would they do for extras?
                      Refugees from Calais.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

weeelll, there weren't too many Africans landing on the D-Day beaches.....

Comment

Well, they did land in Loughshiny...
                          Its Loughshinny (dad grew up there) and ... What? that old promontory fort? that was most likely Irish Celtic origin!
                          *runs off to google romans in Loughshinny*
                          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            Its Loughshinny (dad grew up there) and ... What? that old promontory fort? that was most likely Irish Celtic origin!
                            *runs off to google romans in Loughshinny*
                            Doh! I should have known how to spell it!

Comment

Working...
                            X