Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navy aircraft UK carrier will be sold after three years, no jets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    To me, her arrival is not that important, the real question is when will she leave operationally?
    She isn't even commissioned yet

Comment

To me, her arrival is not that important, the real question is when will she leave operationally?
      the first F-35 will land on QE next year (IIRC), there will then be a process of increasing the number of F-35's and doing the work ups - initial operational capability is pencilled in for 2020/1 with full operation capability in 2022/3. PoW will be about 2 years behind.

she's doing her sea trials, in the 100 years that the RN has been operating carriers - and the RN have commissioned nearly 80 carriers in that time - not one has taken its fixed wing aircraft on their sea trials...

Comment

• Because sea trials are the province of the sailor types, who jealously guard that privilege and they don't want to have to listen to aeroplane drivers, even if they are "own brand" FAA types, who are regarded with suspicion by any proper RN-concieved sailor. Bad enough having to listen to Johnnies from Whitehall or shabby Dockyard types....bah, humbug, pass the Gin...

Comment

The fact it has got this far is a big plus, its built, its mobile, they now have to do something with it !

It won't stand up to any public scruitiny if its not operational in an acceptable period of time.

Its being well stage managed. Will probably due its first refit by the time POW is good to go and as a result and the facilities required , its unlikely that both will serve along side each other operationally for a long time to come.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            The fact it has got this far is a big plus, its built, its mobile, they now have to do something with it !

It won't stand up to any public scruitiny if its not operational in an acceptable period of time.

Its being well stage managed. Will probably due its first refit by the time POW is good to go and as a result and the facilities required , its unlikely that both will serve along side each other operationally for a long time to come.
            I didn't think they were ever going to be operational at the same time? Thought the plan was always 1 in and 1 out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
              I didn't think they were ever going to be operational at the same time? Thought the plan was always 1 in and 1 out?
              Even if not by design

Earlier fears that HMS Dauntless would spend the rest of her career tied up alongside have now been calmed, but only because HMS Daring has taken her place as harbour training ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                the first F-35 will land on QE next year (IIRC), there will then be a process of increasing the number of F-35's and doing the work ups - initial operational capability is pencilled in for 2020/1 with full operation capability in 2022/3. PoW will be about 2 years behind.

she's doing her sea trials, in the 100 years that the RN has been operating carriers - and the RN have commissioned nearly 80 carriers in that time - not one has taken its fixed wing aircraft on their sea trials...
                So she is doing sea trials to test all her capabilities (apart from the primary one)?

Should

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  So she is doing sea trials to test all her capabilities (apart from the primary one)?

Should
                  Well considering she's the largest hull the RN has ever operated and the gap with the retirement of the I's I can understand why shakedown and training is going to take some time anyway.

Comment

So she is doing sea trials to test all her capabilities (apart from the primary one)?...
                    she's doing sea trials to see if she's, err... ready to go to sea.

during her sea trials an issue was identified with one of her prop shafts - it was then fixed - this is what sea trials are for...

i'm not quite sure what a load of ex-Harrier pilots could have added to that discussion.

Comment

she's doing sea trials to see if she's, err... ready to go to sea.

during her sea trials an issue was identified with one of her prop shafts - it was then fixed - this is what sea trials are for...

i'm not quite sure what a load of ex-Harrier pilots could have added to that discussion.
                      So they will accept it at risk that there could be potentially something preventing flight ops with F35

Comment

So they will accept it at risk that there could be potentially something preventing flight ops with F35
                        No, they are learning to sail, and then fight something very big and very complicated, not unreasonably they want to get the most basic stuff stowed away before moving on to the really complex, really dangerous stuff.

Wise men know that difficult stuff is, well, difficult. Others however appear to have cat shit for brains...

Comment

• Dev sea trials have nothing to do with testing the operation of it's air wing, all that will be tested in carrier qualification trials or whatever it's called!
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

No, they are learning to sail, and then fight something very big and very complicated, not unreasonably they want to get the most basic stuff stowed away before moving on to the really complex, really dangerous stuff.

Wise men know that difficult stuff is, well, difficult. Others however appear to have cat shit for brains...
                            This, the QE's are massive compared to anything the RN has had before, so it's going to take time to work up a first of class.

Comment

• Nice piece here from the RN

Another piece from another source

S$lt for brains was a well used phrase in North East (Engand) dockyards where many RN ships were built

S$lt for ... if you are out there the above links are worth a read ....

Comment

• Pity we dont have anything like this

in ireland
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X