No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Military Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many rural communities have been cut off by snow drifts and have required the assistance of the Air Corps. Could action have been taken sooner?

Air Corps delivering supplies to cut off communities in Wicklow in 1982.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• A number of RTE news reports from 1986.

Army Move Fodder

Army Deliver Cattle Fodder

Border Security Exercise

Army Clear Rubbish

Workers Stop Army Clearing Rubbish

Army Clean Streets

Army Shooting Competitons

LÉ Eithne Leaves For USA

New Helicopters For Air Corps

Border Security Increased

Comment

• "they replace the alouettes which for 20 years have carried out search and rescue missions etc...." oh how i laughed at that one!
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• The scope on the FN - whats the story with that? Were they used by spotters? I thought everyone would have just been using the iron sights in the shooting comps?
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• They were used in the Individual sniper competition. The FN was actualy considered a snipers weapon for a period of time, until the AI92 was introduced. Strangely we never used the Lee enfield sniper rifle in 7.62mm.
            The current FN FAL with scope is far more accurate than the FAL with scope seen there. The top slide cover is not a good place to mount optics.
            Last edited by na grohmiti; 15 April 2018, 20:20.

Comment

• As a trade union member I always thought it was disgusting using soldiers as scabs. Not blaming the troops who have no choice but the government.

Comment

• Originally posted by popeye View Post
                As a trade union member I always thought it was disgusting using soldiers as scabs. Not blaming the troops who have no choice but the government.
                It’s maintenance of essential services

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  It’s maintenance of essential services
                  In which case why don't they introduce legislation prohibiting the people who provide the services from striking?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                    In which case why don't they introduce legislation prohibiting the people who provide the services from striking?

Well according to the EU even the military have the right to strike

Comment

As a trade union member I always thought it was disgusting using soldiers as scabs. Not blaming the troops who have no choice but the government.
                      It was completely inappropriate use of the DF. Most were covering for strikers who were earning far more than they ever would.
                      I don't know of any other country where it happens, apart from covering emergency services.

Comment

• the Brits did it fairly recently with troops providing public fire services using a fleet of old Green Goddesses. In Italy, during a bin strike in Naples, they had to get the Carabinieri to protect the people trying to collect mounds of rubbish after the binmen (Mafia controlled) went on strike, just as Summer kicked off. They were astonished at the level of orchestrated violence directed against them from allegedly peace loving binmens families and it got very testy until the City did a deal with the binmen (mafia)

Comment

The people where glad of their work when it came to the likes of public health, transport to work, or power to light/heat their homes.
                          The people do not like being used as hostages in industrial disputes.
                          Last edited by sofa; 16 April 2018, 22:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                            It was completely inappropriate use of the DF. Most were covering for strikers who were earning far more than they ever would.
                            I don't know of any other country where it happens, apart from covering emergency services.
                            Australian government used the RAAF during a airline strike.
                            From the very beginning of the 1989 pilots dispute the Hawke cabinet gave its full support to the airlines.

Comment

• Still pretty disgusting.

Comment

Still pretty disgusting.
                                Having the rubbish filled streets swarming with rats is pretty disgusting.
                                It was a public health risk, that's why the Army was called in.

Comment

Working...
                                X