Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploy a Company minus, by two Landing craft from hull side gantries and a company plus from quay wall with relevant vehicles to accompany. Do all of the rest, including Flagship duties. The rig for refueling at sea and associated training is substantial. Of course it can be done , initially with our own vessels, and then on a controlled trial . The New Zealand Navy don't see Canterbury being used outside of urgent humanitarian incidents, police actions, Piracy control, and normal Fleet support. We also need to consider and add the capability to conduct sea bed searches , deploy ROV types, and recover items as required in a recent helicopter accident. The Navy is the best agency as it is always 24/7.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 16 March 2017, 09:59.

Comment

• too small I am thinking, but headed in the right direction somewhere between this and the JSS

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
        too small I am thinking, but headed in the right direction somewhere between this and the JSS
        XO131L can carry a Coy Group (personnel and kit), much smaller crew required and not too big

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          XO131L can carry a Coy Group (personnel and kit), much smaller crew required and not too big
          Yeah. But I like the AOR function for joint operations and as something that Ireland can contribute. So I'd add 10 Gg DW for liquids and dry stores and a IIb hospital.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
            Yeah. But I like the AOR function for joint operations and as something that Ireland can contribute. So I'd add 10 Gg DW for liquids and dry stores and a IIb hospital.
            And the crew of 3 current vessels

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              And the crew of 3 current vessels
              How is it that the RFA can run a 38,000 tonne AOR with a crew of 60-odd, but you think an Irish vessel of a third of the size would need a crew of 180?

Have Irish sailors got one fewer hands than British sailors?

Comment

• That's the crew of the JSS

Now that could be including flight crews, extra berths etc in fairness

Comment

• Undoubtedly - which is why clever people split the crewing requirements into two parts - the people needed to run the ship and do the RASing etc... and the people that can come from other services or countries that can do the add-ons: there being no operational reason why you couldn't have an Irish NS crew running the AOR with an embarked security force from the Irish Army, a Swedish field hospital running the, err.. hospital, and a German Navy helicopter and crew and tech detachment doing the flying.

Comment

• P61 live on AIS (Marine Traffic) coming thru the English Channel, exceeding her designed top speed of 23 Knts......

Click image for larger version

Name:	P61 EC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	698176
                    Last edited by A/TEL; 17 September 2017, 01:06.

Comment

• Ships speed

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                      P61 live on AIS (Marine Traffic) coming thru the English Channel, exceeding her designed top speed of 23 Knts......

[ATTACH]8482[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8483[/ATTACH]
                      Designed speed is at less than 100% BHP output. Manufacturers will allow up to 105% output for a limited burst speed, for say 4/6hrs without negating guarantees. I suspect at the time there might have been a tidal stream with a westerly component plus positive weather conditions. When exceeding horsepower various shut downs have to be deactivated to allow higher temperatures.

Comment

• Current progress on P64, George Bernard Shaw.

Last edited by na grohmiti; 18 October 2017, 19:07.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I am hearing float out planned at Appledore for early March. Will confirm closer to the date.

Comment

• George Bernard Shaw to be floated out on the evening tide on 2nd March.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              George Bernard Shaw to be floated out on the evening tide on 2nd March.
                              So will we be getting any news about crewing Shaw soon given what early to mid summer for handover depending on fit out?

Comment

• Things keep going the way they are down there and pretty soon they won't have enough to crew the ships they have let alone new ones!!
                                Last edited by apod; 24 February 2018, 14:42.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X