This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ibenji View Post
    Just think that a second location maybe of some use. The route for the N28 is on the existing alignment from the south ring road to Shannon park roundabout which is going to make the traffic situation even worse than normal which in itself is really bad. The port of foynes is about to undergo huge expansion to its current docking facilities.
    Not really. They have a masterplan for expansion, up to 2041. Read this. http://www.sfpc.ie/download/SFPC%20M...AN%20Final.pdf
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I would suggest these as requirement for any new CPV:
      Draft <= 3 metres (Peacocks 2.7 m)
      Max Speed >= 25 kts (Peacocks 25-30 kts)
      Cruise Speed 15-17 kts (OPV RFP 16 kts / Peacocks 17 kts)
      Loiter Speed 0-8 kts (same as OPV RFP)
      Range 2500-3000 nm (OPV RFP 6000 nm / Peacocks 2500 nm)
      Endurance 21 days (same as Peacocks)
      Min 2 shafts (redundancy)
      Diesel / Diesel Electric / DE Hybrid (same as OPV RFP)
      Stowage of 1-2 TEUs (diving support etc)
      2 x RHIBs on davitts (commonality)

Weapons - 76mm / 20mm main armament (commonality)

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        I would suggest these as requirement for any new CPV:
        Draft <= 3 metres (Peacocks 2.7 m)
        Max Speed >= 25 kts (Peacocks 25-30 kts)
        Cruise Speed 15-17 kts (OPV RFP 16 kts / Peacocks 17 kts)
        Loiter Speed 0-8 kts (same as OPV RFP)
        Range 2500-3000 nm (OPV RFP 6000 nm / Peacocks 2500 nm)
        Endurance 21 days (same as Peacocks)
        Min 2 shafts (redundancy)
        Diesel / Diesel Electric / DE Hybrid (same as OPV RFP)
        Stowage of 1-2 TEUs (diving support etc)
        2 x RHIBs on davitts (commonality)

Weapons - 76mm / 20mm main armament (commonality)
        capability to operate drones
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          capability to be operated by drones
          Think to the future morpheus - Cloud - Convergence - Innovation - Synergy etc etc
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            capability to operate drones
            Looking at what is available in OPV type vessels , out of eight types in operation, we are list as operating 3 types eg. Emer class, Roisin class, and Eithne Class, to that you can add Beckett class. We would seem to be the experts. Our difficulty is how to replace two CPV's gifted to us by Maggie Thatcher. Anything selectable is in embryonic development. Any built are restricted in range and endurance. The Danish P570 is a deep vessel at 4.9 meter draft. They are built to an Ice strengthened spec. and may come out lighter if to normal hull strength. My own choice in new design is the Fassmer 80 or the Damen 1400 with flight deck for drones only or a friendly land on in calm weather. The four engines in the later gives economy running on two.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              Think to the future morpheus - Cloud - Convergence - Innovation - Synergy etc etc
              Is someone playing Buzzword Bingo?
              "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                SOunds good. Rules out a lot of the usual suspects. No Fassmer OPV . Aussie Cape Class is in there, its an improvement on the Armidale, but similar to the Damen type CPV too. 57.8m LOA, Beam 10m, Draft 3m. 4600nm at 12kn, Max speed 25kn.
                What about Knud Rasmussen? It has a helipad (on an impossibly short deck). 61m on the waterline. 14.6m Beam. Draft 4.9m. Denmark currently building a third, at US$91m. Ice resistant too, should climate change begin to become a more serious issue.
                Pug Ugly though.

However, what about the Italian Dicotti class, which has been fishing out Refugees from the Med and Adriatic for many years now.
                53m LOA. 8.1m Beam. 5.4m Draft. 23Kn Max. 2100NM Range at 16kn. Malta soon getting one, when it is fed up with Aoife.
                Errrm... actually we have one already (10 odd years now) and no plans to get another! Thankfully your draft figures are a wee bit off otherwise I would have been hard aground on various occasions. Full load draft is actually around 2.2 metres.

Comment

Originally posted by Medsailor View Post
                  Errrm... actually we have one already (10 odd years now) and no plans to get another! Thankfully your draft figures are a wee bit off otherwise I would have been hard aground on various occasions. Full load draft is actually around 2.2 metres.
                  I think the incorrect draught figure comes from a misunderstanding of the dimensions given on http://www.afm.gov.mt/p61 which then made its way to the Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diciot..._patrol_vessel. You might want to update the Wikipedia article or, if you have a source I can cite, I'll do it.

Off topic I suppose but do you know if the AFM have any idea what they might want as the new patrol vessel they are hoping to buy with EU funds? Maybe Ireland and Malta could buy 3 CPV types (2+1) and get a discount? The Damen 5509/P580 class might serve both countries needs.

Comment

How about this as an option, not really covered by the pool options.

Build EPVs. (at least 2) Include in their spec an option to operate daughter craft of a type larger than any RIBs currently in use. Say something capable of operating independently for 24 hours?

EPV on patrol on west coast. Drops off daughter craft in inshore areas to carry out coastal work. Daughter craft does salmon patrol work. When complete, rendezvous with EPV and continue EEZ patrol.

Sure nobody is doing similar at the moment. But in 1973 nobody else had purpose built offshore patrol vessels either working in the eastern atlantic. Now everyone is at it.

The Irish NS has enough experience of small boat boarding ops in challenging conditions and EEZ patrolling to know exactly what it wants. Prove the concept and the designer could flog the idea to many other coastal nations with similar challenges to our own.

Because it seems that the CPV option is too limiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                      How about this as an option, not really covered by the pool options.

Build EPVs. (at least 2) Include in their spec an option to operate daughter craft of a type larger than any RIBs currently in use. Say something capable of operating independently for 24 hours?

EPV on patrol on west coast. Drops off daughter craft in inshore areas to carry out coastal work. Daughter craft does salmon patrol work. When complete, rendezvous with EPV and continue EEZ patrol.

Sure nobody is doing similar at the moment. But in 1973 nobody else had purpose built offshore patrol vessels either working in the eastern atlantic. Now everyone is at it.

The Irish NS has enough experience of small boat boarding ops in challenging conditions and EEZ patrolling to know exactly what it wants. Prove the concept and the designer could flog the idea to many other coastal nations with similar challenges to our own.

Because it seems that the CPV option is too limiting.

I see someone has been thinking about how to incorporate Safehaven's stealth boat into the NS

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                        I see someone has been thinking about how to incorporate Safehaven's stealth boat into the NS
                        While Safehaven make fine pilot boats, I was thinking more in the line of a an enclosed RhIB. Like this.

Comment

• Could be an option

But would that limited the deployment of the EPVs to relevatively close inshore
                          Last edited by DeV; 2 May 2015, 16:29.

Comment

• Not at all.
                            Patrol is planned so that daughter craft can r/v with EPV once its finished. As it stands, Naval ribs are already boarding vessels over the horizon from mother ship. This just adds to the duration. It all depends on the reason for the inshore patrol. Is it something you can leave the daughter craft to do? Is it something you need to keep in range for? i.e enforcement of fisheries compared to surveillance of possible drugs smuggling?

As a hypothetical option, and I claim no expertise whatsoever on what goes on during inshore fisheries patrols, save that of knowing the SFPA do it in RhIBS, and salmon season is usually June to August. EPV has 2 Daughter craft (in addition to the normal Sea Riders for usual boarding. Ship leaves Haulbowline, heading for Zone VIIj. Drops daughter craft at 7 heads. Daughter craft that time of year can easily make it to Bantry bay, boardings based on intel provided by Naval HQ and Air Corps CASA, onto Kenmare bay, same thing, finish up in Dingle bay, in time to RV with EPV as it heads to zone VIIk.

When not required, daughter craft can remain at Naval base or used in port for security at Foreign Naval visits, or Tall Ships event. Perish the thought, the NSR could even use them to replace their grey angling boats.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              Not at all.
                              Patrol is planned so that daughter craft can r/v with EPV once its finished. As it stands, Naval ribs are already boarding vessels over the horizon from mother ship. This just adds to the duration. It all depends on the reason for the inshore patrol. Is it something you can leave the daughter craft to do? Is it something you need to keep in range for? i.e enforcement of fisheries compared to surveillance of possible drugs smuggling?

As a hypothetical option, and I claim no expertise whatsoever on what goes on during inshore fisheries patrols, save that of knowing the SFPA do it in RhIBS, and salmon season is usually June to August. EPV has 2 Daughter craft (in addition to the normal Sea Riders for usual boarding. Ship leaves Haulbowline, heading for Zone VIIj. Drops daughter craft at 7 heads. Daughter craft that time of year can easily make it to Bantry bay, boardings based on intel provided by Naval HQ and Air Corps CASA, onto Kenmare bay, same thing, finish up in Dingle bay, in time to RV with EPV as it heads to zone VIIk.

When not required, daughter craft can remain at Naval base or used in port for security at Foreign Naval visits, or Tall Ships event. Perish the thought, the NSR could even use them to replace their grey angling boats.
                              The daughter crafts should be integral to the ship as replacement for/ instead of open ribs. In the North sea the Multi Role rescue vessel has two daughter craft that act independently with a crew of three or four. It is equipped with Radar, AIS, Gps, Radio, modest domestics, one bunk settee, and strap-in for all hands. They augment ship's crew by 3 seamen when operating more than one daughter craft at a time. We would need to include an Electronic Chart System for obvious reasons. The quality of DC operator would have to cover navigation skills to find his /her objectives and find mother for rejoining.
                              If you are going the EPV route why not boost their capability by including sufficient BHP to act as an ETV's as well with 100 tonne Bollard pull. Their is still the looming responsibility to render emergency assistance to our growing Cruise Liner Trade. The Law of Averages imply that a liner with 4000+ on board will require emergency assistance. The duty is to hold her in a safe position while her owners arrange a commercial tow to a safe haven.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                The daughter crafts should be integral to the ship as replacement for/ instead of open ribs. In the North sea the Multi Role rescue vessel has two daughter craft that act independently with a crew of three or four. It is equipped with Radar, AIS, Gps, Radio, modest domestics, one bunk settee, and strap-in for all hands. They augment ship's crew by 3 seamen when operating more than one daughter craft at a time. We would need to include an Electronic Chart System for obvious reasons. The quality of DC operator would have to cover navigation skills to find his /her objectives and find mother for rejoining.
                                If you are going the EPV route why not boost their capability by including sufficient BHP to act as an ETV's as well with 100 tonne Bollard pull. Their is still the looming responsibility to render emergency assistance to our growing Cruise Liner Trade. The Law of Averages imply that a liner with 4000+ on board will require emergency assistance. The duty is to hold her in a safe position while her owners arrange a commercial tow to a safe haven.
                                The point is we are talking about replacing CPVs, not RHIBs on OPVs.

I assume that the EPV would be tasked to the edge of 200 mile limit (and beyond)

Comment

Working...
                                X