No announcement yet.

Packing list Battle vest and Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of that list is as per the ARW selection course packing list with a smattering of NCOTW thrown in.Most of it is sound bar one or two things.
    Metal mug and emergency rations should be kept in the daysack.You wont be brewing up during an assault.Keep the BV as light as you can.Also over time the rim of the metal mug will wear through the material of the utility pouch as it was never designed or sized to fir one properly.Trust me I have seen many new lads fresh out of the BTC's who swear by that packing list with worn through utility pouches on the BV due to this practice.
    The only thing you should have in the main compartment of the Bergen is the patrol pack.Fold the large liner down and store it underneath in case you need it for a river crossing.The divider between the lower compartment of the Bergen and top should be closed and your sleeping system(complete) goes in the bottom compartment.Now you can access your sleeping system at night without having to take everything out of the Bergen first!Having the patrol pack inside the Bergen is good admin as you can access it fast in case of a shoot and scoot scenario.Also it is more stable and secure when tabbing then putting it under the lid.
    Droplegs are really only used in CBRN scenarios if we go to Cat1 and above or during FIBUA.The dump pouch as issued with the leg strap is a nause during greenfield Ops.The leg strap catches on everything when crawling etc.Remove it and tighten the height adjuster straps up all the way so the dump pouch is just below the level of the belt but flaps loose.
    Oh and they are Camelbaks or "Hydration systems".Platypus's are for Civi's
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I can never think of what to call them

Comment

• For those still on PLCE ( i.e. us, and many others ) there are several excellent lists earlier up the thread. Search Apod's and other's posts.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• FFD aside, the DF recommend that you wouldn't keep an IFAK on your person or in your vest? It's just left in the daysack?

Comment

• Not a IFAK as it should be IE Trauma kit.We are not issued those.Yet.
            More personal boo boo kit.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Does that mean to say that there's no expectation to carry a Trauma IFAK as it's not issued? Or would most guys buy and carry their own?

Comment

• FFD aside, the DF recommend that you wouldn't keep an IFAK on your person or in your vest? It's just left in the daysack?
                Do you know I had the exact same thought
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                  Does that mean to say that there's no expectation to carry a Trauma IFAK as it's not issued? Or would most guys buy and carry their own?
                  Precisely.Outside of the wing I don't know of many who take it seriously.Hopefully starting to change with the new MFR and TCCC course but until the DF starts issuing them most lads don't care.Same with the CIED training.We have all the drills and the gucci kit,but yet don't issue ballistic glasses(yes I know we have goggles.Try wearing them for hours on end dismounted patrolling)or have it as SOP that they are worn in IED threat areas.DoD penny pinching as usual.

Comment

• It's funny you mention that, last year I wore Sawfly ballistic glasses on exercise and a PDF lad was slagging me about my "Gucci Glasses". My rationale for wearing them wasn't exactly CIED orientated, but being self employed and knowing that the DF would drop me like a hot sack of sh1t if I was injured, I decided that my health is my wealth, and an eye injury on ex would have stopped me working/earning. I wear them whenever I'm shooting now.

Comment

• I always think this is one of the best threads on IMO- Its what IMO should be about. Well done lads.

What should go into a personal combat first aid kit- ?
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                        It's funny you mention that, last year I wore Sawfly ballistic glasses on exercise and a PDF lad was slagging me about my "Gucci Glasses". My rationale for wearing them wasn't exactly CIED orientated, but being self employed and knowing that the DF would drop me like a hot sack of sh1t if I was injured, I decided that my health is my wealth, and an eye injury on ex would have stopped me working/earning. I wear them whenever I'm shooting now.
                        I dont have any problem with anybody wearing EYEPRO when it is relevant and possibly necessary.Going through a forest a night.Check.Doing FIBUA.Check.Firing pistols.Check.
                        Firing a rifle or GPMG 200 metres away from the target with slim to no chance of splashback??I dunno.
                        Overseas where there is ANY threat of IED's??It should be mandatory.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          I dont have any problem with anybody wearing EYEPRO when it is relevant and possibly necessary.Going through a forest a night.Check.Doing FIBUA.Check.Firing pistols.Check.
                          Firing a rifle or GPMG 200 metres away from the target with slim to no chance of splashback??I dunno.
                          Overseas where there is ANY threat of IED's??It should be mandatory.
                          I just see it as PPE when carrying a rifle, same as ear defence. Even at 200m away, I still can't account for my oppos muzzle discipline, or spent cartridges, or any other variables that might damage my eyes, which is why I'd prefer to leave them on if I'm on the ground. I wear them on the range to simulate the conditions I'll be firing on the ground with.

Anyway, the RDF Fighting season will soon be upon us, so time to dust off the battle box....

Attached Files

Comment

• where did you manage to locate the helmet ... What type is it? mich ach?
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                              where did you manage to locate the helmet ... What type is it? mich ach?
                              Got it off ebay from the States, it's a proper Rabintex 303 AU which I think is similar or the same as the PDF issue lid.

Comment

• With a cover, few will notice the difference.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X