Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chest rigs, Assault Vests and Plate carriers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    However a tcv isn't part of the f ech and we only have so many apc's
    Adapt and overcome.

Everyone knows there's not enough APC's for every Unit in the DF to use them in training, doesn't mean you can't use a truck as an APC purely for Exercise purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      Karrimor SF do a modular combat vest.Somewhat similar design to the issue battlevest.Might be worth a look.
      http://www.body-armour-protection.co...cal-vests.html
      Nice find apod, that looks like a decent bit of kit....anyone used it or heard reviews??

PS: Wearing plate carriers without plates IMHO just makes you look like a walt.
      Agreed. So I'm hesitant to get one.

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post

Anyway, Duffer whatever you get, just make sure it looks the part. 90% of the job is looking good while doing it
      Isn't there always that delicate balance of the two. Looking effortlessly tacticool whilst avoiding the waltish step too far! Its a hard look to perfect. It must be like the dilema suffered by wimminz on a saturday night when trying to balance "looking sexy vs looking like a thrashy slut".
      "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Like I mentionned earlier, I like to keep things simple. I was browsing through my pics from last year, and came across this one of my rig, which contained everything I needed to shoot, move and communicate:

It is a Tactical Tailor 2-piece MAV with X-harness, 3 x 3-mag pouches, 2 x frag pouches, IFAK, combat knife, Gerber multi-tool, strap cutter, MBITR, PRR and accessory pouch (aide-mems, notebook, visual language aid, smoke gren, headlamp, energy bar, etc...). Inside the vest panels, I carried the survival essentials: foil blanket, signal mirror, fire-starting kit, water purif tabs, string etc...

Anytime I carried out dismounted ops, I also carried a patrol pack with (minimum) 1 x ration, Softie jacket, spare mags & frags, 3-li bladder, IV kit and any other kit deemed necessary for that particular mission. And a slung M-72... 'cause they look cool.
        Last edited by Jungle; 28 May 2012, 18:29.
        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

I'd give up my Oakley shades for a chance to strut around with an M-72 for a while.

How did the MBITR work for ya out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
            Isn't there always that delicate balance of the two. Looking effortlessly tacticool whilst avoiding the waltish step too far! Its a hard look to perfect. It must be like the dilema suffered by wimminz on a saturday night when trying to balance "looking sexy vs looking like a thrashy slut".
            If all else fails and your rig isn't looking upto scratch... A shirt with no baselayer and the sleeves rolled up two folds, some stubble, Oakley gloves and a Steyr w/203 will keep you looking sufficiently cool until you fix the rig problem.

Comment

I'd give up my Oakley shades for a chance to strut around with an M-72 for a while.
              LOL !! Yeah, I understand !! Here's a pic from Feb 2011, I'm leaving a combined position (Afgs & CDNs) at the south end of Nakhonay village with some ANA for an operation. I'm carrying my patrol pack: an Eagle A-III with Molle (a classic):

How did the MBITR work for ya out there?
              Very good actually; I was very familiar with it, as I had used it on my first tour. We are introducing a replacement for it (152), that I have used in Haiti in 2010 to communicate with a CDN Destroyer that was dispatching Troops to a beach; fantastic piece of kit !! Funniest story: some of the BDE Troops were flown into Jamaica, as the airport in Port-au-Prince was too busy, then it was decided to load the Troops onto a Destroyer and Frigate and land them in Haiti. I was tasked as Beachmaster. I was a Sgt-Maj at the time, and I had never seen so many Troops so happy to see me !!
              "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

The MBITR looks like a handy piece of kit all right. How did you operate it Jungle, was it through a separate head/handset? Or did you route it through a dual PTT PRR?

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                  The MBITR looks like a handy piece of kit all right. How did you operate it Jungle, was it through a separate head/handset? Or did you route it through a dual PTT PRR?
                  We used a dual switch on the PRR.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                    We used a dual switch on the PRR.
                    Cool, I tried that with a 119C manpack before and it didn't work out for me. Wish we had something similiar to the PRC-148/152.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                      Cool, I tried that with a 119C manpack before and it didn't work out for me. Wish we had something similiar to the PRC-148/152.
                      We do, technically.

In the East anyway, although there's only a few of them. Can't remember the exact model though. We tried getting them for our Platoon and were shot down.

Anyway, they'd be **** all use to us... Since there's nowhere to put them on that wonderful Battlevest of ours.
                      Last edited by Hello Alaska; 29 May 2012, 18:19.

Comment

We do, technically.

In the East anyway, although there's only a few of them. Can't remember the exact model though. We tried getting them for our Platoon and were shot down.

Anyway, they'd be **** all use to us... Since there's nowhere to put them on that wonderful Battlevest of ours.
                        Harris falcon 111.Strong rumours going around that they will be going on general issue at some point in the future.

PS: Stick it in your daysack.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Harris falcon 111.Strong rumours going around that they will be going on general issue at some point in the future.

Hopefully they will be, especially as the Manpacks are being withdrawn back to the CIS Units.

Meh, it would be handier to have the radio on your person if it's that size.

Comment

Isn't it hf?

Comment

Multiband AFAIK.The way we seem to be going.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Data is the word for CIS Corps at the moment, i doubt you will see HF in the field due to the complexity in using the Harris along side the added risks of RF burns; You will probably see more 119E's in the field as there seems to be more and more HF going into jeeps.

There is added complexity's in the field in troubleshooting it, if its Zero'd youll need a toughbook to reprogram it; Youd have to teach people about LQA and Sidebands, different rules for day and night... The 119 hasn't outlived its service life yet and from an infantry perspective as it is relatively easy to troubleshoot or reprogram. Besides, you will have a pain in your back side having to put a ground spike down everytime you want to talk. Infantry is still Voice, it would be a waste to see the Harris only for this role.

In recent months we have focused more on Data Comms (detachments) we are doing less and less voice.
                                Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                                Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

Working...
                                X