Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to replace the Steyr or should we just shut up whinging?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to replace the Steyr or should we just shut up whinging?

I think this general topic has been buzzing around for a long while and I think it's time to put a poll up that deals fully with the issue. As the topic says above & many posts have brushed around before, is the weapon outdated? (Personally I think it does the job) Is there a replacement out there that is so much better at what it does that it's worth spending the dosh upgrading too? (personally I don't think there is) Is there anything that could be changed/upgraded on it? (maybe a gucci scope on it or increasingly better training to make the most of it) What are the possible problems with it in future? (perhaps facing more challenging environmental factors - peacekeeping/conflict in snow or high altitude anyone?)...And if you say it's outdated please state why you feel this is the case, what is out there that it can replace it & why this is so gucci it's worth the cash...

Cheers,
    -B
    Yes, it's been around too long, we need something with a newer smell/shine to it?
    16.13%
    No, you idiot, it's dam good at what it does and if it ain't broke don't fix it
    83.87%

Bring back the FN

Comment

its the envy of most armies- why change it
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Its not broken, so why fix it/replace it
        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

cough... trolling ... cough
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Not in particular, just wanted to try see through peoples talk of other possible replacement to see would they actually replace it if it became possible...

Comment

Originally posted by Barndoor View Post
              I think...

Cheers,
              -B
              I think lack of propper punctuation and paragraphs makes my eyes bleed...

Comment

Definitly not for reservists. In my experience reservists don't get anywhere near enough shooting practice to be able to use the steyr to it's full potential, so there's no point wasting cash on new weapons which may be similarly under-utilised.

Similarly for corps units in the PDF, they are not reliant on the weapon all the time, and hence it doesn't seem reasonable to upgrade their weaponry if it is capable of doing the job when needed.

I really can't see the steyrs being replaced for at another 10 years
                Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  its the envy of most armies- why change it
                  Too right it is! Wish i had one, beats the piece of shit i carry around.
                  Faugh A Ballagh

Comment

its not broken so no need to fix it.
                    for infantry deployed oversee's a picantilly rail (sorry for spelling), with a better sight, something like the susat, would be benefical, but not essential. personally i hate the sight, but i can use it and with enough training any-one can get the best out of it.
                    courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

the US army was going to get the Steyr when it was replacing the M16A2,but Steyr wouldn't give them the manufacturing rights to build it in the US,so they got the M16A3 instead.
                      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

I think lack of propper punctuation and paragraphs makes my eyes bleed
                        I think being hit on the head with a duster for spelling PROPER incorrectly, used to make my eyes bleed.

Dear God
                        Please let me not have made any mistakes
                        in the above
                        as I am after leaving myself hole open
                        to being mightly slapped on the bum.
                        Last edited by hedgehog; 22 May 2007, 14:08.
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Bubblewrap View Post
                          I really can't see the steyrs being replaced for at another 10 years
                          well seeing how we reservists only got it in the last 5 years i'd give it at least 20 til its replaced and then that'll only happen if we wear the living sh1t out of them.
                          But there's no danger
                          It's a professional career
                          Though it could be arranged
                          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                          If you're out of luck you're out of work
                          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

speaking from a civi perspective, I think there are plenty of other things to replace/get in the first place, before changinging the Steyr...IMHO
                            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

An Elcan and an LLM for weapons used overseas, and Bob's your fahters brother!
                              Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Working...
                              X