New intelligence Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New intelligence Agency

I was reading an article in one of the newspapers over the Christmas period on how Defence Minister Smith was getting along with his post.

The article was an interview with him and covered all the usual items such as the alleged improvement in Defence Forces standards new equipmement etc

However one intresting point was the current investigation to set up a new intelliegence agency which would be in the Department of Defence and would replace G3 but also integrate the GARDA intelligence agency (the name escapes me at this moment in time) and other apects of departments.

Has anyone heard anything on this?

What a wonderful play on words

Garda + Intelligence

Comment

Intelligence, yeah right!!!!!

C-Cubed, those two words cannot be used together except in a negative sense,:D :D :D
      Ask P.I.C. he'd know, hang on a sec', where the h*ll is P.I.C.?
      Something is definitly not right here.
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Last edited by posiedon; 28 January 2004, 20:22.

Comment

Well its currently being investegated whether it makes sense to replace the different departments with one agency.

I think its fair to say that in all likely hood it will go ahead. It seems to me that its not before time in light of terrorist activities in the previous year.

In addition it may well speed the demise of the paramilitaries which have being running riot in racketeering, robberies, drug pushing etc (ask your local Sinn Fein TD for more information).

Again its the E.U and the E.U presidency in 2004 which has in all likely-hood brought these turn of events around. Sad to say that few of our T.D's would have the initative to propose such a move.

Comment

New Agency

It would make a lot of sense to have one agency - should have been done years ago !

Wonder what it might be called - Irish Intelligence Agency (IIA) perhaps ?
            IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

If this does go ahead, there'll be at least one person hoping they recruit direct from education. :D :D :D

Dammit, it'd be fun starting a new agency, just imagine all the intel to gather. We'd have a lot of catching up to do.........
              If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Originally posted by C-Cubed
                What a wonderful play on words

Garda + Intelligence
                The word is OXYMORON

Last time I saw the pig in charge he had been invited over for dinner by some infantry unit...hasnt been seen since.

Who here had Turkey and Ham for Christmas dinner?:D
                Last edited by Goldie fish; 6 January 2003, 04:18.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I have no problem with a new intelligence service, but it should be formed in addition to Army Intelligence because a civilian or police based intelligence service wouldn't do the job for the military in wartime.

By extension what has the Dept of Defence got to do with crime fighting? This plan, it seems to me, would blur the distinction between police and military, further diluting the army from a military to a paramilitary force.
                  sigpic
                  Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                  My favourite moment was when the
                  red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

I belive the new agency is to be based on something like MI5 or some of US security agencies ( As far as I'm aware I think the homlands security bill would best draw comparisons). However I cannot locate the article in question.

Comment

From the Irish Independent, 15 January 2003.

Minister backtracks from anti-terrorist agency plan

DEFENCE Minister Michael Smith has admitted he was on a solo run when he suggested setting up a new statutory security agency to co-ordinate military and garda intelligence on terrorist suspects.

The Departments of Justice and Defence and the gardai and army have all expressed surprise at the proposal, which was floated by the minister in a newspaper interview.

Spokesmen for the four agencies said last night they had no knowledge of any such proposal. Mr Smith said he was giving serious consideration to the idea and would reach a decision shortly. He said: "Up to now, we obviously do expect and receive a lot of co-operation from all of the departments and the various agencies. It may be necessary in some cases to have the power to give directions."

However, it has now emerged the agency was a "preliminary" idea and that the concept will be quietly shelved.

The minister is chairman of the Government's national emergency committee, set up after September 11. Senior security sources last night denied reports of serious concern that Shannon Airport could be a likely target for al-Qa'ida terrorists because of the movement of US troops on their way to the Gulf.

Sources said there was no evidence to show al-Qa'ida planned an attack on Shannon or US flights into the airport, and said suspected supporters based here were believed to be involved in logistics back-up rather than operational activities.

Supt John Kerin, who is responsible for garda protection at Shannon, said yesterday that, contrary to an impression given in yesterday's paper, he had stated there were reports that the airport was under threat - but had never said gardai believed there had in fact been a threat.

Tom Brady Security Editor

Comment

Wouldn't it be a nice idea to float these preliminary ideas to the people who are security professionals before announcing it in the press.
                        sigpic
                        Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
                        X