D day 06 June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D day 06 June

If you have seen An Cosantóir and read the "Hit the Beaches" report on Military Heritage Tours Ltd (MHTL) you will know what our tours are about.

We will re-run this tour in September 06-13. If you are interested contact dbuckley@anu.ie or ring 086 8889 883 0r 094 9031344

Also we have managed to secure 40 bed spaces in a Bayeaux hotel for the 60th anniversary in 2004.(How many veterans will be left in 2014?)
    This will be the last BIG one. Hotels are solidly booked all over Normandy and have been for the last month or two.
    MHTL will take bookings on a first come first served basis. 2004 tour will be dearer as hoteliers are making a killing.

Messines tour will be riun in October. Smae conditions. If you are interested contact MHTL or have a look at www.militaryheritagetours.com.

Thanks.

Military Tours

For anyone interested in D-Day, I can recommend Arramanches Beach- Get to Bayeux any way you like (on train line from Paris & Cherbourg) and 1/2 hour bus to the village.

Very good museum, and many fortifications in place, including most of the Mulberry Harbour. The day I was there (almost a year ago) there was also a sizeable contingent from the French Territorial Army on tour there.

And very conveniently, a campsite in the town, with excellent facilities, for well under €10.00 pps. Not to mention ridiculously underpriced wine....
    Take these men and women for your example.
    Like them, remember that posterity can only
    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
    possession of those who have the
    courage to defend it.
    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Longest day today lads.
      Meh.

Comment

Here's a related piece about an Irish veteran of D Day, I'm sure he's been mentioned before. He's now a Franciscan Brother living in waterford, I often saw him around town when I was a kid, I'm glad he's still around.

"Irish servicemen 'airbrushed out of history,' says D-Day veteran
        Tools
        Print Email Search
        Search
        Go By Emma Blain
        Sunday June 06 2004

AN IRISH survivor of the D-Day landings, now a Franciscan friar, spoke for one of the first times last week of his bitter disappointment at the indifference in his homeland to the sacrifices made by thousands of his countrymen in World War II.

Brother Columbanus, now aged 79, was shocked at the negative reception he and his fellow servicemen received at the hands of their compatriots on his return.

He returned from France a year after the end of the war, where, as a skinny 19-year-old known as Sean Deegan, he had played his part in one of the greatest military invasions in history.

"The people back home didn't realise what it meant. To them, you were just a renegade who had gone off and was fighting for the Brits," he told me. "I was a soldier of fortune, not a political soldier. When we went to Germany, we found out it was a worthwhile cause," Deegan said, as he prepared to return to Normandy for this weekend's 60th anniversary commemorations."

Full article here, http://www.independent.ie/national-n...an-481016.html

Comment

Sadly I see Brother Columbanus has passed away, he was a member of the RAF during the war and took part in the D-Day operations,

http://www.munster-express.ie/news6.html

Comment

Its sad to hear that the Brother passed away

he seemed a remarkable and compassionate man

I reckon he lived more in his life than most of us put together

I bet my bollock that he is up above telling war stories

we should be thankful that a giant like him lived amongst us
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I met the man on many occassions and the funny thing is up to a few years ago...the 60th anversary of D Day..he never spoke of it.

Grant unto him eternal rest.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Seen the man on tele a few years back, he sounded very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                X