Panhards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhards

Don't wnt to seem ignorant but what happened to the Panherd apc's did they get scrapped or kept in store. What were they like in sevice?
    Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.

According to Karl Martin's book on Irish army vehicles they were underpowered, poorly protected and cramped, but they just about did the job for the internal security mission.
    They have been phased out of service completely and scrapped due to wear and a shortage of parts (production was wound up at around the time Ireland received its last vehicle), most are on the scrap heap although a few PDF anti-armour students were bragging about using them for MILAN practice, I wouldn't put to much weight on that story though.
    I wonder whatever happened to the Buffalo we were presented?
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Buffalo?
      Meh.

Comment

Just to update it was in fact just the 18 surviving 4HD engined apc's used by the 3rd bn that were scrapped at the time of Martin's book (around 2001 I think, there's no proper ref code). a further 16 with reatly upgraded engines remained in service with the border units for ATCP.

Yooklid the Buffalo was the M3s immediate successor, it was just stretched and powered by the same engine the army had already installed in its uprated M3s.
        The army was given one FOC as thanks for contribution to it's development, as far as I know it never sold.
        Panhard focused on the 6x6 VCR APC instead.
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The Peugeot V6 powered Buffalo VTT prototype was presented to the army by Panhard in 1994 as a gesture of thanks for its help in the Buffalo's development. The Irish one is configured as a command vehicle with SINCGARS radios etc. One would assume since the vehicle was only built in 1994 that it is still in service??

According to Karl Martins book the 14 V6 engined M3's are still deployed with the border units???

Comment

Working...
          X