• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Africa ?

EU troops to help Darfur refugees

David Gow in Brussels
    Wednesday July 18, 2007
    The Guardian

European Union governments will next week give the green light for 3,000 troops to be sent to Chad to protect refugees from the neighbouring Darfur region of Sudan and help demobilise thousands of children forced to take up arms.
    Human rights and aid organisations yesterday pressed EU foreign ministers, who meet in Brussels on Monday, to set "robust" rules of engagement for the troops, enabling them to fire when they and refugees are under attack and to arrest wanted war criminals.

The EU is expected to give the final go-ahead for the mission after the UN adopts a resolution - expected next month or early in September - calling for a 26,000-strong African Union-UN force for Darfur.
    The mission, a French initiative discussed by EU officials with the UN head of peacekeeping, Jean-Marie Guehenno, yesterday, would last six to 12 months. Mr Guehenno told Reuters he hoped the EU would protect a corridor 560 miles by 125-250 miles in Chad and said he expected ministers to send a "strong signal" that would allow the UN to begin detailed planning. According to Lotte Leicht, EU director of Human Rights Watch, the mission would eventually be replaced by 1,300 police, including 300 from overseas.

And no body saw this coming with RRF??
    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snacker View Post
      And no body saw this coming with RRF??
      Rapid Reaction?

Darfur has been talked about for the last two or three years.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Its Rapid Reaction from the time the time the political decision is made to deploy. That is the same for UNSAS, EURRF, EU Battlegroups etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
          Rapid Reaction?

Darfur has been talked about for the last two or three years.
          Agree..There has alway been rumour that once Liberia was finished we could end up there..

Comment

Appartantly they are discussing it, as well as sending some to Chad.

Comment

From what was said on the 9pm news it seems likely. Planning for a troop deployment in Darfur and possibly a small team of Officers in Chad.
              "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
              Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

We are gonna need more trucks so...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The UN has approved the mission....
                  What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

According to todays Sunday Business Post - an EU Battlegroup may be part of the UN Darfur force.

Appartantly the all weather accomodiation used in Liberia needs to be replaced as it has reached the end of its lifespan.

Comment

Looks like Lebanon is almost finished also....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I will be contacting my local TD on tuesday morning about a few things, I will be mentioning the Darfur mission amongst them................
                        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          November...

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            as a country or as a mission

my bet is as a country

I will be contacting my local TD on tuesday morning about a few things, I will be mentioning the Darfur mission amongst them................
                            I was reading John O Shea and in relation to this I think he is dead right
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

I was reading John O Shea and in relation to this I think he is dead right
                              Hedge, do you have a link to what he said[if thats not too dumb a question]?
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X