Manual for Steyr Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual for Steyr Drill

Has this been updated yet? The original one contained a few glaring errors that made instruction on drill difficult,as the manual was unusually..Wrong.
    Also,does anyone notice how untidy the salute looks if the soldier is wearing medals? While marching the medals are covered,and during the salute they are all over the place?
    Would it be worth changing the drill to something without the use of the sling. I know the current drill has been about for a while,but when the FN was introduced,303 drill was carried out with it for some time before the final drill was introduced..
    Just a thought:-patriot:
    Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Something like the brits with the SA80 ?

Hmmmmmm.....
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I heard rumours that there are plans to change the arms drill (but you know what they say about rumours)

Comment

oh no.....back to cledaigh airm....
        ....shoulder getting stiffer.....elbow locking...cant take it....
        quick some one read the bayonet drill and kill me!
        for ****s sake

Comment

Well the Austrians , Australians and Kiwis also use this weapon. What does their drill look like? Is it possible to get an manual of aussie arms drill online?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Strangely this is what Google tells us

The NCO comments at the end are good

Comment

word is that the FN drill will be adopted

Comment

How exactly ?, the steyr is too short for the majority of FN drill movements. I came up with movements for a steyr arms drill display some time ago and very few of the FN movements can be performed on the steyr although some .303 drill could be performed. There is very little drill with the steyr because of the wearing of the sling therefore less time is spent on arms drill this frees up more time for other training. The FN manual was full of movements which were rarely used apart from the funeral drill there was suspend arms , trail arms, advance arms etc.
                There is no point in dreaming up new drill movements on the steyr just for the sake of it, the existing movements should be refined if necessary.

Comment

disagree.

Comment

i agree with Loque, for the little training time that we do get, spending half of it teaching recurits on how to change arms or put them on the ground (loggiigh?? arm) is a waste of time. Use the training time efficently, arms drill isnt efficent use
                    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I agree with Trelheim. People seem to be too eager to move on to the "sexy" stuff such as tactics and tend not to put the time an effort in the discipline forming stuff such as arms drill and foot drill. Usually when you investigate further peoples complaints about foot/arms drill it is because they themselves don't know how to do it properly.

[There stick that in your pipe and smoke it:p ]

Comment

Indeed Bravo(by name and nature) Drill is the basis of military discipline. Its porpose is to get the troops moving and working as a team in a "smart uniform and soldierly manner".
                        Some units neglect training on drill and their discipline suffers as a result. An army is not all about tactics,neither is it all about drill. But both are as important.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I caught a bit the Anzac Day ceremonies from Gallipoli, the Aussies arms drill looks a lot like British drill, i.e. movement are a lot like what we used to do with the 303. Slings are not used.
                          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Never suggested that arms drill was not important merely that the drill with the steyr is adequate. Foot drill remains the same and it is naturally more heavily relied on to teach discipline than arms drill now that me use the steyr. I like the FN but its gone, the steyr is a modern ergonomic weapon which was not designed with arms drill in mind but for its primary roll. It would have been nice to hold on to the FN for cermonial duties but the notion of using FN drill on the steyr is a waste of time. I have tried FN drill with the steyr but some people ended up stooping over to hold onto it at the order arms, the carry arms requires you to hold the weapon by the butt (unless you thing holding it by the magazine is a good idea!).
                            The point I make is that the steyr is here to stay so there is no point mourning the loss of the FN.

Comment

There is no order arms or carry arms. I wish people would remember that no matter what unit you are in. Anyhow quibs aside I can see how folks like myself 6'2'' would have problems with the Suifidh Airm.

Remember the FN had a sling too but it didn't feature in the drill.

Comment

Working...
                              X