X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Pilot's widow awarded €1m by court

Pilot's widow awarded €1m by court

July 10, 2003

(17:52) The wife of the helicopter pilot who died in an Aer Corps accident in Tramore three years ago has been awarded over €1m by the High Court.

The action was taken by Maria O'Flaherty, widow of the late Captain Dave O'Flaherty who was in command of the search and rescue helicopter based at Waterford Regional Airport.

Four Aer Corps personnel died when their aircraft crashed in sand dunes at Tramore beach in July 1999.

They were: Captain O'Flaherty, Captain Mick Baker from Enniscorthy, Sergeant Paddy Mooney from Meath, and Corporal Niall Byrne.

This afternoon, Mr Justice Barry White approved a settlement of €1.1m and costs in the High Court, sitting in Waterford.

Liability was conceded by the Minister for Defence, and RTÉ news understands this is the first time this has occured in relation to this incident.

The court was told that most significant issue for Maria O'Flaherty was that the Minister for Defence admitted that they were responsible for the death of her husband four years ago.

The solicitor for the O'Flaherty family said this evening Maria and the family were delighted with the settlement.
    Last edited by Guest; 10 July 2003, 19:17.

So am I reading this wrong,or are the DoD admitting that it was their fault? This sets an interesting precedent.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I hadn't even heard that the case was on going before this.

And I think this is the first time ever they have admitted something like this....

Comment

Cases like this annoy me sometimes.
        "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Why whatever your opinion on other compensation claims this man's death was plainly the result of irresponsible planning and mismanagement in which government policy (i.e. Blairite cost "efficiencies") created the circumstances which made such an incident highl probable if nbot inevitable.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
            So am I reading this wrong,or are the DoD admitting that it was their fault? This sets an interesting precedent.
            They might be admitting they were wrong but they clearly haven't learnt from this tragedy.
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
            X