PDA

View Full Version : Eithne 1985 some memories

Pages : [1] 2

AlanF
8th December 2007, 19:41
http://www.geocities.com/afinan/at_work_eithne_1985.jpg
From left to right: Mick Kelly, Alan Finan and Ray Comerford.

Note the Donkey Jacket, remember them??

AlanF
9th December 2007, 12:33
http://www.geocities.com/afinan/rebels_without_a_care_eithne_1985.jpg

Rebels without a care - Eithne 1985

Back, left to right: Damien Power, Sheik Mick Kelly
Front, left to right: Ray Comerford, Alan Finan

AlanF
9th December 2007, 12:55
http://www.geocities.com/afinan/helo_1_eithne_1985.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/afinan/helo_2_eithne_1985.jpg

First Helo Sea Trials in Lorient, Brittany, France 1985.

AlanF
9th December 2007, 17:41
http://www.geocities.com/afinan/m_p_eithne_1985.jpg

On left Mick Kelly, and Packie Carney Eithne 1985

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/give_me_a_drink_eithne_1985.jpg

Thirsty work this Navy Lark, Joe give us a drink.

Joe Banks and Alan Finan,

Test Pilot
9th December 2007, 20:19
First Helo Sea Trials in Lorient, Brittany, France 1985.

Alan, that explains a few things. I have the pics of the helo's in three different liveries. But I couldn't remember where the yellow ones took place. Must be old age!:smile:

armedboarder
9th December 2007, 20:23
Fantastic Thread guys, keep it up.

hptmurphy
9th December 2007, 20:23
Excellent photos Alan

Dogwatch
9th December 2007, 23:07
http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3305&g2_serialNumber=2

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3302&g2_serialNumber=2
More photos in the gallery

moggy
10th December 2007, 09:35
jesus major flashback good times that french pilot was dangerous landed in all directions
especially at night

AlanF
10th December 2007, 09:58
http://www.geocities.com/afinan/sale_for_drink.jpg

Hey lads, do you think if I sell these runners I will have enough for another round?

Left to right Ray Comeford, Kieran Monks, Joe Banks

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/ratings_bar_eithne_1985.jpg

Eithne Ratings Bar. See the forethought of the designers, easily converted into a Pole Dancing Bar. :wink:

Test Pilot
10th December 2007, 10:05
jesus major flashback good times that french pilot was dangerous landed in all directions
especially at night
Thats true. Saw him bounce the helo across the deck on a few occasions. When I get back I'll post some of him! A real test pilot he was!

AlanF
10th December 2007, 10:15
I remember talking to the Test Pilot and after asking me did I want to go for a spin he then came out with a statement like, "you do know that these machines are not meant to fly" :smile:

I am glad that people are enjoying this thread, this is why I joined here, not to talk about stuff that will mean nothing to me but to chat about the past and the good times as well as remembering comrades, both living and dead in a positive and well meaning way.

I will be posting a few more pictures from further back off Grainne and Aoife, these will or should stir up some long forgotten memories for some of you.

hptmurphy
10th December 2007, 22:46
Which cabin is that?

I lived in two different ones..511 and 514..

Hard to believe that was almost twenty five years ago.

Fouga
11th December 2007, 22:09
Which serial did that Dauphin get?

Goldie fish
12th December 2007, 04:08
Which serial did that Dauphin get?

Either 244 or 245.

AlanF
13th December 2007, 09:44
Murph, I think the cabin No. was 512, but I may be wrong, memory is not what it used to be.

AlanF
16th December 2007, 23:52
Well 245 was the first to land on the Eithne back in 1985.

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3525&g2_serialNumber=1

hptmurphy
17th December 2007, 21:10
Very unique photo in that it carries the manufacturers logo and the french test reg.

Nice one Alan..keep them coming

Test Pilot
17th December 2007, 22:24
Very unique photo in that it carries the manufacturers logo and the french test reg.

Nice one Alan..keep them coming

Ah Lads! come on now! With the greatest of respect to my learned ex colleagues. Al's photo is in fact the third landing. What a lot of people are not aware of, is that the first landing took place in Verolme Cork Dockyard, BEFORE the ship was handed over to the navy. The purpose was to ensure that she would FIT into the hanger and to test the recovery gear. When she landed she had no winch gear in place. This was fitted on the deck after they had folded the blades back for her first entry to the hanger. That was in December 1984. (I just happened to be up the mast).

The second landing was in a different livery. She was just in yelow primer!

The third landing, as in Al's photo has the reg F-ZKB below the door, and the Aerospatiale name on the engine casing, but no logo. The logo on the door aludes to 'Brendan the navigator'.

Goldie fish
17th December 2007, 23:00
The first landing was also not by an Irish Dauphin.(or one that later became Irish) F-WZJD is a 365N that was converted to "F".

Irish Dauphins Had the Ser No.6124(244/F-ZKBZ),6168(245/F-ZKBJ),6181(246/F-ZKBP),6202(247/F-ZKGW),and 6203(248)

F-WYMF is an Aerospatiale in-House reg. It isn't recorded as having been used on any of the Irish Dauphins.

hptmurphy
17th December 2007, 23:13
Oh Boy the Nostalgia is getting really out of hand.

Brilliant photos real archive material.

Laners
17th December 2007, 23:57
Well 245 was the first to land on the Eithne back in 1985.

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3525&g2_serialNumber=1

This one had been previously on display at the Paris Air Show , hence the the various logos on the aircraft and the Irish Air Corps where the first customers for the Dauphin .

AlanF
18th December 2007, 09:33
When I said the first Dauphin to land on Eithne, I meant of the first Irish pioleted one.

moggy
18th December 2007, 15:12
This one had been previously on display at the Paris Air Show , hence the the various logos on the aircraft and the Irish Air Corps where the first customers for the Dauphin .

jesus laners - we believe you go on tell us you served the first dinner to the crew before any helo landed and who was served first????

golden rivet
18th December 2007, 16:50
jesus laners - we believe you go on tell us you served the first dinner to the crew before any helo landed and who was served first????
:biggrin: now a ten marker which cabin was the first session held in..

DeV
18th December 2007, 18:29

The first and only customers of the SA365Fi!

Test Pilot I presume (hope) they had planned that the Dauphin would actually fit in the hanger, but nothing surprises me anymore!

yooklid
18th December 2007, 18:53
According to some of the more knowledgeable heads here, the drawings had a lynx in there.

AlanF
18th December 2007, 20:09
First real session was on our first full day in Lorient. We had being to the Supermarket, stocked up on plenty of beer and wine, gone to the Pub and awoke with severe hangovers.

It started in my cabin, can not remember the number was down beside the Tel's cabin back then, then went up one deck to Ray Comefords cabin and ended up in Mick Kelly's. The pictures before are evidence of this.

I also remember one member of the crew had got themselves a male sex toy (a vibrating vagina) and tried it out without any lubricant as he was not aware that he needed any and the instructions on the toy were in French. Needless to say this person was walking funny for a few days.

Laners
18th December 2007, 20:33
Moggy the day that we took possesion of the ship we had roast beef for dinner and the Officer of the day was a certain Flight Deck Officer . Who remembers our hasty departure from Verlome before the receiver arrived and and our arrival at the base with tug boats in attendance because the engines kept shutting down , and the reaction from the Flag Officer concerning the mothly looking crew membrs dressed in Donkey jackets and various other non issue clothing on the deck of his new flag ship as it arrived at the base without any ceremony . Even I got mentioned in dispatches as the" COOK ON DECK " .

Test Pilot
18th December 2007, 21:52
Moggy the day that we took possesion of the ship we had roast beef for dinner and the Officer of the day was a certain Flight Deck Officer . Who remembers our hasty departure from Verlome before the receiver arrived and and our arrival at the base with tug boats in attendance because the engines kept shutting down , and the reaction from the Flag Officer concerning the mothly looking crew membrs dressed in Donkey jackets and various other non issue clothing on the deck of his new flag ship as it arrived at the base without any ceremony . Even I got mentioned in dispatches as the" COOK ON DECK " .

Thats spot on, Laners! Thats what happened. The ship was tied up at the oil warf and when it came to move her to the basin, there were rumblings as to who or how it was to be moved. 'Boxcar Willie', trooped down to the oil warf without any ceremony, and said 'Right lets go' ( in the usual deep and gruff voice) and moved it to the basin, plonked it alongside as if he did it all his life, and without any fuss and off he went without a word.

Pic shows Eithne under tow on her maiden voyage. The Brandon tug was on the st.bd side.

hptmurphy
18th December 2007, 22:37
The SA 365Fi was unique to Ireland ..hence the 'i'.

There were other users of the SA 365F but the aviaocis fit which were the heart of the problem were unique to us.

Originally it had been planned to use the Lynx but when the AC opted for the dauphin the plans changed somewhat. There were drawings on the tween decks showning drawings of the lynx in situ.. just never happened.

Goldie fish
18th December 2007, 23:48
The Saudis also use the 365F. Though they fitted theirs with a different Radar and Anti Ship missiles.

Test Pilot
22nd December 2007, 21:13
laners was always a cut above the rest!

hptmurphy
22nd December 2007, 22:14
Button up...just defied the one of the methods of identifing a Senior rate as oposed to an officer.

Would laners like to tell how he ended up with the wrong amount of buttons for his rank?

golden rivet
22nd December 2007, 23:07
Button up...just defied the one of the methods of identifing a Senior rate as oposed to an officer.

Would laners like to tell how he ended up with the wrong amount of buttons for his rank? frankie the pa would not have spotted that .. Martin was officer material

Laners
25th December 2007, 20:36
Must be something to do with the jacket being one of the rare Louie Copeland made to measure uniforms .

hptmurphy
25th December 2007, 21:22
lol the only PO cook in the NS wit a clothing account at Louis Copeland...

golden rivet
26th December 2007, 00:13
lol the only PO cook in the NS wit a clothing account at Louis Copeland... I think martin was a good hand at the tailoring as well..

Test Pilot
5th February 2008, 17:51
Heli lift from Eithne some years ago.

Test Pilot
11th February 2008, 18:57
A blast from the past! If someone has an email for Ricky, can they PM me?

The original crew on Eithne are:
1. Cpo/EA Bish Cronin.
2. PO/ERA Dermot Woods
3. PO/ERA Noel Birmingham
4. CPO/ERA Eddie Hyland.
5. PO/Shipwright Gerry Cogan.
6. CPO/RRT Jimmy Casey.
7. ?
8. Coxn George Jefferies.
9. ?
10. CPO/EA Jimmy Deacon.
11. PO/Tel Pat Donaghue.
12. ?
13. CPO/EA Tom Kelly.
14. CPO/Mech. George Carr.
15. PO/Mech Peter Courthey.
16. PO/ERA Mick Martin.

Sorry about chippy's overalls - I couldn't clean them up in Photoshop!:biggrin:

moggy
11th February 2008, 20:50

1. Cpo/EA Bish Cronin.
2. PO/ERA Dermot Woods
4. CPO/ERA Eddie Hyland.
6. CPO/RRT Jimmy Casey.
7. ?
9. ?
10. CPO/EA Jimmy Deacon.
11. PO/Tel Pat Donaghue.
12. ?
13. CPO/EA Tom Kelly.
16. PO/ERA Mick Martin.

Sorry about chippy's overalls - I couldn't clean them up in Photoshop!:biggrin:

a/tel moggy, bullet head,baa, and minnie

Test Pilot
11th February 2008, 21:33
a/tel moggy, bullet head,baa, and minnie

Now now Moggie,:biggrin: We were the original crew! We were on board as soon as the keel was laid. And I remember Mick Martin writing his name on the bulkhead before the interior walls went up. So, all will be revealed when she goes to the breaker yard. Yes we were there for a year or so before the full compliment came.:tongue:

Laners
11th February 2008, 21:44
Well I may not have been there for a year before hand , more like 3 or 4 months before as I was signed on with the shipyard as a member of the shipyard crew as well . There was even a big sign on book with the ships yard number , skippers name and your pay rate etc .

Test Pilot
11th February 2008, 21:46
Well I may not have been there for a year before hand , more like 3 or 4 months before as I was signed on with the shipyard as a member of the shipyard crew as well . There was even a big sign on book with the ships yard number , skippers name and your pay rate etc .

Wow! were you employed by VCD or were you still in the Navy? Or both!

Laners
11th February 2008, 21:51
Both , Remember Dave Swords , He was the skipper for the ship yard ?

Test Pilot
11th February 2008, 21:56
Both , Remember Dave Swords , He was the skipper for the ship yard ?

You are right, Laners! I had forgotten his name. Do you remember he 'creased' the port side quarter aft, after sea trails? It was cut out and replaced within a day or so. I must look to see if the weld marks are still there!

Test Pilot
11th February 2008, 22:00
You are right, Laners! I had forgotten his name. Do you remember he 'creased' the port side quarter aft, after sea trails? It was cut out and replaced within a day or so. I must look to see if the weld marks are still there!

Stand by one! Pic to follow.

Look at Mick when he had his hair!

Laners
11th February 2008, 22:04
It was taken care overnight , I was staying onboard with a few other shipyard catering personell and we took care of dinner for the lads doing the repair .

Test Pilot
11th February 2008, 22:08
It was taken care overnight , I was staying onboard with a few other shipyard catering personell and we took care of dinner for the lads doing the repair .

Do you remember Frank Mc Cann? A real decent Guy! He told me once he was the last Bosn on the last steel hulled sailing ship? Do you remember that? He is the one in the green overalls(RIP) above. Kept us all in boots and overalls!

Laners
11th February 2008, 22:13
He was taking the ship out one day for a run down to Kinsale and back and the civvy nav officer said he did not have any charts , Swords told him not to worry about it and off we went , and he laughing his head off at the look on the faces of the various Naval Service officers present . We don't need no stinkin charts .

Laners
11th February 2008, 22:17
They where a great bunch altogether , they all had been at sea in the past and the stories out of them where something to remember . Remember all the beer served with lunch on sea trials .

Test Pilot
11th February 2008, 22:21
He was taking the ship out one day for a run down to Kinsale and back and the civvy nav officer said he did not have any charts , Swords told him not to worry about it and off we went , and he laughing his head off at the look on the faces of the various Naval Service officers present . We don't need no stinkin charts .

Ha! Ha! Dead right too! By the way I hope you didn't mind me adding the extra buttons to the earlier pic! Sure you deserved them anyway!:biggrin:

Goldie fish
11th February 2008, 23:15
TP, your dockyard photos reminded me of these photos of my own, Taken back in the day, luckily with 35mm.

The one from Monkstown could easily have been taken the same day as you took yours.

Test Pilot
12th February 2008, 10:23
TP, your dockyard photos reminded me of these photos of my own, Taken back in the day, luckily with 35mm.

The one from Monkstown could easily have been taken the same day as you took yours.

Nice one! Why has the minister got a paint roller in his hand in pic 2?

Goldie fish
12th February 2008, 11:01
Haha.. It sure looks like that. Maybe the dockyard missed a spot...

hptmurphy
12th February 2008, 13:34
Lovely photos......

The minister for defence I think at the time was ' Cooney ' who launched the ship....but who played her part in the practise run.?

No longer a serving officer but can regulary be seen on T.V.

Doggy (RIP) was only a pup in some of those photos.

Goldie fish
12th February 2008, 18:19
Cooney was nowhere to be seen at the launch on a wet december day.

golden rivet
12th February 2008, 20:46

1. Cpo/EA Bish Cronin.
2. PO/ERA Dermot Woods
4. CPO/ERA Eddie Hyland.
6. CPO/RRT Jimmy Casey.
7. ?
9. ?
10. CPO/EA Jimmy Deacon.
11. PO/Tel Pat Donaghue.
12. ?
13. CPO/EA Tom Kelly.
16. PO/ERA Mick Martin.

Sorry about chippy's overalls - I couldn't clean them up in Photoshop!:biggrin::confused: so thats where ye were for that year:smile: nice pictures,, doggie. rip ricky mick kelly , joe halley,,

golden rivet
12th February 2008, 20:49
my father in law was a plater in vcd and he went out on the trials... he told me about the crack and food they had...

hptmurphy
12th February 2008, 21:16
Cooney was nowhere to be seen at the launch on a wet december day.

there was a'dry run' of the event a few days before hand and a rather dimunitive Naval officer played the part and was there after know as Mrs Cooney!....and it wasn't the dimunitive one who took command...

golden rivet
12th February 2008, 21:30
there was a'dry run' of the event a few days before hand and a rather dimunitive Naval officer played the part and was there after know as Mrs Cooney!....and it wasn't the dimunitive one who took command... lift me up i want to see over them guardrails

NavyBrat
15th February 2008, 21:03
Stand by one! Pic to follow.

Look at Mick when he had his hair!

Jaysus look at the state of them, Drinking tea as usual :) RIP Frank and Doggie

hptmurphy
16th February 2008, 01:43
[QUOTE]/PO/Mech Peter Courthey[QUOTE]

Peter was here on site about two years ago...

golden rivet
16th February 2008, 21:16
[QUOTE]/PO/Mech Peter Courthey[QUOTE]

Peter was here on site about two years ago...:smile: peter from wexford come back all is forgiven and we will start with a song..

Laners
17th February 2008, 12:01
So this is what a flight deck is for .

Laners
17th February 2008, 12:03
There's a statue sticking out of someones head .

hptmurphy
17th February 2008, 21:06
Jesus will ya look at the head on 'Chiniry' in the photo!

'Tarzan' looks more jaundiced than tanned...

Why do cooks sunbathe with their clothes on?

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
18th February 2008, 21:43
Lloyd looks like he is eyeing up Starmer's nuts!

hptmurphy
19th February 2008, 22:22
Is that one of Rickys nuts hanging out...?

Jupiter
23rd February 2008, 19:13
I like to see the photos of Eithne 85 any one remember the little french flight deck sargent .Those any one remember the ammo dumping trip?.Or the trip to Loerient trip the friday night drinking session?

moggy
24th February 2008, 17:02
I like to see the photos of Eithne 85 any one remember the little french flight deck sargent .Those any one remember the ammo dumping trip?.Or the trip to Loerient trip the friday night drinking session?

go on test pilot you were on the above -show us the pictures - i was in the trip but cant remember the only thing i remember we all ended up in the same bar - lots of bottles on the wall and they all came our way - am i warm???

Test Pilot
24th February 2008, 18:34
go on test pilot you were on the above -show us the pictures - i was in the trip but cant remember the only thing i remember we all ended up in the same bar - lots of bottles on the wall and they all came our way - am i warm???

Leave that one with me Moggy! I'll have to see if there is any photos about! I had a negative file with a couple of hundred negs from that period, but stupidly loaned it to a certain officer for him to copy a few photos from. The short of it all was, that the binder went missing. To this day I regret it!

What I remember most were the submarine pens in Lorient, with railway tracks going into them, and with blast doors about six feet thick.

One story comes to mind where a certain 'chippy' came back to the naval base in Lorient, after a night out. But as he had a FEW drinks on him, he got lost. So he climbed over the fence and made his way in the direction of what he thought was the ship.
Now if anyone remembers, there was a base within a base there. The inner one was a base for the equivilent of the SAS or Rangers and was tightly guarded. Anyhow, he fell into the mudflats and was chalanged by the guard. He was heard to shout 'Don't shoot - Don't shoot, I'm Irish!

Shortly afterwards a jeep arrived up to the gangway and a French soldier came to the flight deck and asked 'would this be one of yours?' pointing in the direction of the jeep. I went down with him, where he lifted the canvas cover and inside was a body, covered from head to toe in black slime. The body look up and said in his best cork accent 'don't shoot, I'm Irish'.
It was at that point I recognised who it was.

'Yes that's one of ours alright'.:biggrin:

Check out this link for some photos; http://www.historyarticles.com/photos.htm

Test Pilot
22nd April 2008, 18:56

Just had a story recounted to me today regarding the Lorient trip. After a some what heavy night ashore, the ratings were mustered for 'divisions' on the flight deck the following morning (to make sure everyone was acounted for). The XO, Charlie L. took parade of what was a rather 'shook' and sorry lot, with some 'bods' just about able to stand. Just as he passed 'Iggy', a projectile vomit shot forth from his mouth and across the deck. Iggy still stood to attention as if nothing happened and Charlie, as cool as he was just carried on, as if nothing happened either!:biggrin:

Some days they were!

moggy
22nd April 2008, 19:05
Just had a story recounted to me today regarding the Lorient trip. After a some what heavy night ashore, the ratings were mustered for 'divisions' on the flight deck the following morning (to make sure everyone was acounted for). The XO, Charlie L. took parade of what was a rather 'shook' and sorry lot, with some 'bods' just about able to stand. Just as he passed 'Iggy', a projectile vomit shot forth from his mouth and across the deck. Iggy still stood to attention as if nothing happened and Charlie, as cool as he was just carried on, as if nothing happened either!:biggrin:

Some days there were!

some days indeed

Laners
22nd April 2008, 20:34
He just never noticed the vomit most likely

Test Pilot
22nd April 2008, 20:36
He just never noticed the vomit most likely

Either that or he was a bit queezy himself!

Test Pilot
22nd April 2008, 21:28
Lads,

I met this guy recently, He was a dusty on Eithne. Can someone give me his name? either in part or PM me. I've marked him in the photo. Memory is gone to pot!

hptmurphy
22nd April 2008, 22:15
Can't for the life of me remember him..recognise most of the rest but names are begining to slip.

golden rivet
23rd April 2008, 00:30
Can't for the life of me remember him..recognise most of the rest but names are begining to slip. john smith is his name still living in cobh

Test Pilot
23rd April 2008, 09:24
john smith is his name still living in cobh

Thanks GR, thats it.

moggy
23rd April 2008, 15:07
Thanks GR, thats it.

met john a couple of years ago was in the computer business here in dublin i believe -
is he now living in cob h?????

Test Pilot
24th April 2008, 10:59
met john a couple of years ago was in the computer business here in dublin i believe -
is he now living in cob h?????

Yeh, met him in the 'bean' recently, in Cobh. Great chat - still the same as always - a very pleasent guy.

Test Pilot
24th April 2008, 20:42
Another blast from the past.

Now that I have my sword and boxers, I must get myself a uniform!

hptmurphy
24th April 2008, 22:42
****..an escaped x-ray with as word..makes the grim reaper look fat

speking of which 'fitzy' looks anaeroxic

as for the last...

Horrific memories of meeting 'frankie' in Kings Cross in London...hey Murph......over 50,000 people in Midleton tones

golden rivet
25th April 2008, 16:11
****..an escaped x-ray with as word..makes the grim reaper look fat

speking of which 'fitzy' looks anaeroxic

as for the last...

Horrific memories of meeting 'frankie' in Kings Cross in London...hey Murph......over 50,000 people in Midleton tones

:biggrin: thats pure muscle... the fat is concealed in the boxer shorts.. vital equipment in the game of love...:biggrin:

Test Pilot
25th April 2008, 18:24
:biggrin: thats pure muscle... the fat is concealed in the boxer shorts.. vital equipment in the game of love...:biggrin:

Perhaps you'd like to rephrase that, GR. Shurely it would be muscle that would be contained in the boxer shorts?:biggrin:

golden rivet
26th April 2008, 10:56
Perhaps you'd like to rephrase that, GR. Shurely it would be muscle that would be contained in the boxer shorts?:biggrin:

:confused: grey hair and cant see him but happy meomeries .. there is a story behind the sword.. it had to be polished to the highest standard so it took a while ie a week .. in the sun with brasso .. what a life////:biggrin:

hptmurphy
26th April 2008, 16:48
aaaah its the sword you are describing thaought you meant something else.

golden rivet
26th April 2008, 17:17
aaaah its the sword you are describing thaought you meant something else.:biggrin: fill us in on poor old fwaankie from midelton

moggy
26th April 2008, 17:48
:biggrin: fill us in on poor old fwaankie from midelton

how is frannke??

Test Pilot
26th April 2008, 18:51
[quote= .. there is a story behind the sword.. it had to be polished to the highest standard so it took a while ie a week .. in the sun with brasso .. what a life////:biggrin:[/quote]

What's the story behind the sword?

golden rivet
26th April 2008, 18:59
What's the story behind the sword?

as i say it was one of the old swords that was brought on the trip for willie and it was in bits rust and years of brasso... my sole job for the week was to get it back in some shape sat on the flight polishing away and getting a tan... when we arrived the only one allowed with a sword was the captain... poor old willie..

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
27th April 2008, 10:22
Another blast from the past.

Now that I have my sword and boxers, I must get myself a uniform!

Is that you in the pic with the sword? Now I know who you are.:cool:

Test Pilot
27th April 2008, 11:19
Is that you in the pic with the sword? Now I know who you are.:cool:

Yup! Poor old 'boxcar'.

Actually, YHF, thats not me in the photo! I was never a 'batman' and I certainly would not put myself up for ridicule. I do that for every one else.:biggrin::biggrin:

golden rivet
27th April 2008, 12:56
Yup! Poor old 'boxcar'.

Actually, YHF, thats not me in the photo! I was never a 'batman' and I certainly would not put myself up for ridicule. I do that for every one else.:biggrin::biggrin:
:biggrin: ah ye have it all wrong let me explain a sword is an item of ordanance so it was the gunnery dept on the ship that was responsible for the maint of same .. a lot of our time was spent below decks with cleaning of weapons etc. so when the opportunity arose we got out into the sun with jobs like this and made the best of it... i seen a few fellows dressed as batman on the ship but thats a different story yhf no pictures are available of test pilot they are all censored only to be shown after 21.30

hptmurphy
27th April 2008, 17:47
have no idea what became of 'fwankie' but had served with him on Eithne. I was on leave and had decided to go to London to visit a few muesuems. We were in the middle of Kings Cross at rush hour and next thing he must have spotted me and over the crowds could be heard....'hayyyyyyy Murpheeeeeeee Boy how ya doing..Looked around and here he was pissed as a fart...but his powers of recognition were intact

Test Pilot
27th April 2008, 19:07
Gosh! I hope he is keeping ok. He was the one who lost his false teeth while 'gawking' over the side once on Eithne.

I notice Jimmy G. there also. He was a mech on board.

golden rivet
27th April 2008, 23:42
Gosh! I hope he is keeping ok. He was the one who lost his false teeth while 'gawking' over the side once on Eithne.

:biggrin: fwankie is either acting po/full po, but he is still in the navy completely changed i believe and settled down

moggy
28th April 2008, 11:09

maybe he is still looking for his choppers and heard a ballhop they were in London
Murp had them ha

Laners
4th December 2008, 16:33
Eithne crew member has his conversation with local in Bantry watering hole cut short my crew mate .

Laners
4th December 2008, 16:38
And some just had no intrest

hptmurphy
4th December 2008, 18:05
Lol...story behind that is hilarious.

I remember the night in question, you lot were out on the piss while I was in Bantry hospital which makes it saturday 14th Feb 1987.

The 'bird' had been comming on to 'Ted' all night with no sucess, seemingly she believed Ted would be a good catch as he was rumoured to have a few bob.

The penny never dropped until one of Teds comrades enlightened her to Teds preferences lets just say she never had a chance.

I got to know her afterward as one of the crew a certain PO ERA was married to a girl from bantry, and the fact I was going to be in bantry for while after the ship departed they used to feed me. Grub in hospital was awaful and they used to raid the local chpper before visiting me.

I'm not mentioning names although I do remember them all.

After about a week a bottle of 7 UP was produced and I thought , nice , very thoughtful, that night before settling down I decided on a glass of 7 UP...quelle suprise....neat vodka,,,two litres..I made a svre hole in it that night and the nurses couldn't figure out why I was so sick the next day!

That few weeks I spent in hospital was a real eye opener as I discovered the £2 per week I was paying for welfare was a waste. The Flag Officers car was sent to collect me... remember the big blue granada... and the transport officer in Haulbowline,an Army Officer lost his stand up when he discovered it had been sent out to collect a mere O/S from bantry... and wanted me to continue my journey home to waterford in a Land Rover. Divisonal officer finally settled ona travel warrant.

The good side was Liam Donaldson was the XO at the time and gave me enough fags to cover me until I got out of hospital... the man gave 1000 Rothmans..eternally gratefull

Test Pilot
4th December 2008, 18:51
And some just had no intrest

Brilliant! :biggrin:

Laners
4th December 2008, 19:40
Anyone any comments about post 100 ?

hptmurphy
5th December 2008, 00:31
I wasn't there on the night but I reckon TP had a lucky escape

WilcoOut
5th December 2008, 00:53
really enjoyin the thread lads! some great photos, great that ur sharing so manygood memories

pardon my ignorance, but could somebody briefly explain the job a coxn does?

Test Pilot
5th December 2008, 10:59
Anyone any comments about post 100 ?

Bloody hell, Laners! nearly missed that. I don't even recall that event :biggrin:. In Bantry was it? Thanks for that!

Is that 'Birmo' stuck to some bag!

golden rivet
5th December 2008, 11:37
Anyone any comments about post 100 ?:smile: yes the lady asked test pilot to buy her a drink... 2nd picture was the reply..:smile:

Test Pilot
5th December 2008, 12:05

In brief, Nothing! :biggrin:

GR, your time will come too :biggrin:. I'm going rooting in the attic. Chucky our la!

moonstomper
5th December 2008, 13:08
really enjoyin the thread lads! some great photos, great that ur sharing so manygood memories

He's the senior enlisted man aboard ship, usually Chief Petty Officer rank. He looks after pay and admin mostly and is responsible for disciplinary matters. His main practical duty is taking the helm when the ship is involved in complicated manoeuvres, such as entering/leaving harbour or boarding stations.

WilcoOut
5th December 2008, 17:49
He's the senior enlisted man aboard ship, usually Chief Petty Officer rank. He looks after pay and admin mostly and is responsible for disciplinary matters. His main practical duty is taking the helm when the ship is involved in complicated manoeuvres, such as entering/leaving harbour or boarding stations.

I thought the guy with the pips and parrot on his shoulder did that?

cheers moonstomper, my curiosity is quenched!

moonstomper
5th December 2008, 18:17
You're welcome.

The guy with the bars (and parrot, though that's probably optional these days) on his shoulders gives the orders of course. The coxswain, when helmsman, just carries them out.

He's probably meant to prevent the officers from, to take a purely hypothetical case, crashing the ship into the quay wall and knocking over a lamp post. Though it's not proved to be a completely effective system.

hptmurphy
5th December 2008, 22:23
He's probably meant to prevent the officers from, to take a purely hypothetical case, crashing the ship into the quay wall and knocking over a lamp post. Though it's not proved to be a completely effective system.

Its funny that the senior enlisted member of the executive branch holds such a position, yeah the MAA I can equate with , but one would think that some one with an admin backround might be more efficent with the paperwork side of things.Would also create seagoing apointment for scribes.

There was a psoition for a L/Wr on board the Eithne.Made the cox'ns job a bit easier.

The helm type cox'n is another anomally as some senoir ABs or Leading hands would have more helm time than the Senior NCO as they are required to do watches which are more frequent than the times the Cox'n takes the helm.

The RN uses this method with usually the senior AB or L/H being the helm cox'n for the routines involved.

Test Pilot
7th December 2008, 12:23
Aoife 1981. When good fatigues were in short supply and the famous Haggis.

Test Pilot
7th December 2008, 12:25
Aoife on Spanish trip. Almeria I think.

Toolbox
7th December 2008, 13:12
Is that Owen O'K in the middle?

spud68
7th December 2008, 19:47
not there until ten years later but all very funny , thanks for cheering me up off watch

hptmurphy
7th December 2008, 21:09
yup Owen O'K it is along with Larry Shortt.( Larry seems to have his own fags for once, and Owen has never been known to smile in a photo.

the guy in the fore ground looks abit like 'Rifles' Counihan, but I could be wrong.

Good fatigues.. lol looks like they were sharing a set between them.. not a belt in sight

Has to be GC again..although from a distance he is not badly unlike TP...sorry TP not meant to be offensive.

WilcoOut
7th December 2008, 21:52
Aoife 1981. When good fatigues were in short supply and the famous Haggis.

the bloke in the middle looks like hes bou 13!

cha the tel
7th December 2008, 22:19
the 13 year old is Joe Murphy from kildare,he would take that as a compliment,also in the photo is wilie fortune and jimmy bartley.I am still trying jog the old memory on the rest even do I should know them.

moonstomper
8th December 2008, 01:47
The others are Sean Leonard, Mick ( I think that was his first name) Smullen and Martin Walkin

Test Pilot
8th December 2008, 13:45
The others are Sean Leonard, Mick ( I think that was his first name) Smullen and Martin Walkin

Can't for the life of me remember Haggis's real name. I wonder was 'Haggis' mentioned in his passport

moonstomper
8th December 2008, 14:32
Cormac MacDermott, I seem to remember.

Took a car in to be serviced in a garage in North London about 15 years ago and Haggis was working there. God knows if he's still there.

hptmurphy
8th December 2008, 16:58
Took a car in to be serviced in a garage in North London about 15 years ago and Haggis was working there. God knows if he's still there.

And what about the car...did you collect it or is it still there?

Test Pilot
8th December 2008, 17:26
And what about the car...did you collect it or is it still there?

Or was it taken apart entirely!:biggrin:

moonstomper
8th December 2008, 17:46
It still worked after the service anyway. An A/Mechs course, if there was such a thing, obviously prepared you for anything.

Loved the fatigues photo by the way TP. I'd forgotten what a scruffy lot we were.

Test Pilot
8th December 2008, 20:45
It still worked after the service anyway. An A/Mechs course, if there was such a thing, obviously prepared you for anything.

Loved the fatigues photo by the way TP. I'd forgotten what a scruffy lot we were.

Yes, I seem to recall that after the first wash they shrank, so it was impossible to do up the buttons on the fly. Most of the bods went around for years with the flys open and trousers at half mast. :biggrin:

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
8th December 2008, 21:19
Who is the guy sitting next to Ben Egan in the white shirt looking right at the camera?

hptmurphy
8th December 2008, 22:29
Nice to see the initiation of 'removing the epaulettes' had been carried out..

Great tradition young shiney O/S first day aboard caught by either shoulder...'what do you need them for you'll never have anything to put on them...ripppppp!!!'

remember the shirts that were prone to fade at different rates in the wash..ended up like a patch work quilt.

Everything was washed on board in giant industrial sized washing machines.. one wash all colours ..boil wash..everything you owned came out a subtle light blue.If you ran out of washing powder you went on the scrounge..fabric conditioner ..lol..if there was no washing powder a cup of 'suggee' did the same thing...but pulling a 'bird' was a non runner until after the next wash as you smelt of the stuff..which was less than pleasant,

but at least we had washing machines..on ships at least.

Test Pilot
9th December 2008, 09:50
Who is the guy sitting next to Ben Egan in the white shirt looking right at the camera?

CPO Frank Durnan, from Derry. Great guy. The chap on the left was an electrician, but I've forgotten his name.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
9th December 2008, 20:28
Ahh, right. The name escaped me. So Larry was ashore with a full contingent of the black gang! Must have been no "pirates" to go ashore with.:smile:

Test Pilot
23rd January 2009, 15:28
An old view of the Dauphin cockpit.

golden rivet
23rd January 2009, 17:10
dont let charlie fly that thing we were screaming.... the pilot was a nice guy and got on well with everyone cant remember his name

hptmurphy
23rd January 2009, 21:34
GTTC will know...

Papa 242
26th January 2009, 00:35
Pilot in question is Lt.Col. J.P.Kelly.....left helis and went to Ryanair late eighties early nineties.
Clocked up many hrs with him,he bounced me off many a deck:biggrin:

Regards!

golden rivet
26th January 2009, 20:54
Pilot in question is Lt.Col. J.P.Kelly.....left helis and went to Ryanair late eighties early nineties.
Clocked up many hrs with him,he bounced me off many a deck:biggrin:

Regards!:smile: thats the man he seemed to have great time for his crew and no airs and graces about him.. is he still flying

hptmurphy
26th January 2009, 21:41
His son later flew with the Silver Swallows if I'm not mistaken.

Goldie fish
26th January 2009, 22:32
I thought the man himself was in the swallows?

hptmurphy
27th January 2009, 22:12
J.P had retired and was working with Ryan Brothers Aviation Ltd when the son joined the silver swallows.

flight deck tavern
2nd February 2009, 20:55
like to see photo

Test Pilot
3rd February 2009, 09:44
Football team with the RN and Boxcar Willie in Bermuda.

Test Pilot
6th February 2009, 18:39

golden rivet
6th February 2009, 22:55
.. :eek: west german:eek:

hptmurphy
7th February 2009, 02:13
Minnie was a much differnt shape God rest him

Nice cameo for Owen Murphy

Laners
7th February 2009, 11:39
:eek: west german:eek:

Correct Golden Rivet , We had a pretty good session back on board Eithne for the Germans and I got Moggy to play my tape of the Erika March over the ships system by the 11th Panzer Grenadier Division Singing and Marching , which went down great , although our Royal Navy hosts might have been a little worried at the combination of the Paddies and the Germans having a midday session and them highly outnumbered .

golden rivet
7th February 2009, 14:41
Football team with the RN and Boxcar Willie in Bermuda.
fwankie with a tan awl wright:biggrin: the brits replied with the song two world wars and one world cup doo daa doo daa

damo de muff diver
7th February 2009, 19:14
Test Pilot
Slight request
Do you by any chance have a photo of painting of Eithnes ships crest that Tarzan did on wall in RN base Bermuda
Have found one of me standing beside it in old photos but dipshit who took it has his finger half covering it

Test Pilot
8th February 2009, 12:45
Test Pilot
Slight request
Do you by any chance have a photo of painting of Eithnes ships crest that Tarzan did on wall in RN base Bermuda
Have found one of me standing beside it in old photos but dipshit who took it has his finger half covering it

Sure Damo. Here you go!
I see he changed the position of the feet.

damo de muff diver
8th February 2009, 13:15
Sure Damo. Here you go!
I see he changed the position of the feet.

Thanks a million T.P.
It is lovely to see that you are still the gentleman you were way back when.
I still remember the day he painted it , I wonder what it looks like now that is if it is still there

Test Pilot
8th February 2009, 14:18
Thanks a million T.P.
I still remember the day he painted it , I wonder what it looks like now that is if it is still there

Thanks Damo, always a pleasure.

golden rivet
8th February 2009, 14:57
Thanks a million T.P.
I still remember the day he painted it , I wonder what it looks like now that is if it is still there according to mick kelly it is still there but gone tattered as the tradition is gone that if you painted a ships crest you had to touch up the one in bad condition. modern royal navy im afraid something like our own .. you dont have to walk up and down to the basin anymore golf carts for that now.. 23years ago . time is moving on damo

damo de muff diver
8th February 2009, 20:24
according to mick kelly it is still there but gone tattered as the tradition is gone that if you painted a ships crest you had to touch up the one in bad condition. modern royal navy im afraid something like our own .. you dont have to walk up and down to the basin anymore golf carts for that now.. 23years ago . time is moving on damo

Glad that it is still there , pity about it being tatty

GOLF CARTS! for going up and down to the basin
How I would have loved that
Do many of them go into the tide because if we had them it would have been at least one a day
I remember having to dive and recover the lister
Ohhh happy days :wink:

Goldie fish
8th February 2009, 21:21
Glad that it is still there , pity about it being tatty

GOLF CARTS! for going up and down to the basin
How I would have loved that
Do many of them go into the tide because if we had them it would have been at least one a day
I remember having to dive and recover the lister
Ohhh happy days :wink:

I heard a story recently about an electric trolley being bought to move sea riders about when they are in for maintenance... however the one bought was useless at its intended role, but was bought because the manufacturers threw in a free golf cart....:cool:

blaisec
8th February 2009, 22:19
I remember the buggy you spoke of, the guy in charge of S.S.G at the time was a prominent member of a local golf club at that time.

golden rivet
10th February 2009, 21:33
hmmm douglas

blaisec
10th February 2009, 21:37
You might say that but I could not possibly comment

Test Pilot
10th February 2009, 22:56
You might say that but I could not possibly comment

The same guy had a catch phrase when he would bring in some item for repair, be it a toaster, wicrowave, dishwasher, camera, radio, outboard engine, sounder, car, boat, washing machine ............

'Eh, this belongs to an old lady down the road. You might have a look at this for her, Chief '.

blaisec
11th February 2009, 08:07
Claw me!! TP you could be on the money there.

The same man wanted to have me courtmartialed once because I kind of grounded the boat I was taking him into the basin on.

He was dissuaded from this when it was found out that I did not have a steering ticket!!!!

damo de muff diver
11th February 2009, 14:19
Claw me!! TP you could be on the money there.

The same man wanted to have me courtmartialed once because I kind of grounded the boat I was taking him into the basin on.

He was dissuaded from this when it was found out that I did not have a steering ticket!!!!

I was always of the opinion when you lot went into the engine room they should have locked the hatches so as to protect the general population
The only time you lot should have been in a boat was to fix it after the likes of me had broken it :eek:

spud68
11th February 2009, 20:37
The crest was still there in 2003 when I was posted there ,the banner had faded .
The wall was repainted in white by the harbour master but all the naval crests were left.
The dockyard was by this stage handed over to the civil goverment ,
I was surprised to see my old ships crest on the wall .

Test Pilot
12th February 2009, 10:07
The crest was still there in 2003 when I was posted there ,the banner had faded .
The wall was repainted in white by the harbour master but all the naval crests were left.
The dockyard was by this stage handed over to the civil goverment ,
I was surprised to see my old ships crest on the wall .

Hi Spud,
Thanks for the information. I had a look recently at the Royal Dockyard in Bermuda on Google Earth, and it did look a bit different. I suspected that the RN had moved on as some of the buildings were being shown on a web site as a museum open to visitors. I think the CO house or such like was refered to.

Would love to visit again. Any pics from your trip there?

blaisec
12th February 2009, 11:38
Damo that boat was a wooden thing that came off the Setanta with a single cylinder diesel engine.
A bitch of a thing to start on a cold day. They used to call it the Water pony.
I was going out of the camber at the tech stores using the Irish steel exit. But the tide was a bit on the low side and there is a submerged rock just outside the entrance, which on a higher tide you would pass over. Our man (The Claw) was standing up doing his Nelson on the Bridge impersonation, with one hand tucked inside the great coat. When I hit the rock we came to a halt and he fell forward.
The trottle linkage came off the engine and the thing stalled. Not a toolbox in site, we had to paddle using floorboards to the Steel Pier. All the the time yer man ranting about keelhauling and whatnot.
Just another day in the life what!!!

spud68
12th February 2009, 13:08
Test pilot
I have some somewhere , but am at sea at the moment will have to wait until i get back.
The fort itself has been converted to a museum and you can also swim with dolphins in the old stores dock . All the rest has been turned into a tourist park for cruiseliners, still a few good pubs and spent a very happy couple of months pretending to work until 15.30 then into scuba kit for an hour and beers until or after sunset.

best job in the world it was.

Test Pilot
12th February 2009, 18:00
Test pilot
I have some somewhere , but am at sea at the moment will have to wait until i get back.
The fort itself has been converted to a museum and you can also swim with dolphins in the old stores dock . All the rest has been turned into a tourist park for cruiseliners, still a few good pubs and spent a very happy couple of months pretending to work until 15.30 then into scuba kit for an hour and beers until or after sunset.

best job in the world it was.

Spud,

Fair play to you! I'm sure it was a great time. I look forward to a pic or two.

Take care!

T.P.

golden rivet
12th February 2009, 19:55
Test pilot

best job in the world it was.:biggrin: you must have been well in to get posted there.. it was a great few days there on the mopeds and all the crack...... the big frogs on the road was the target on the way home.. happy days... are you going to stay for the long haul..ie the pension...

Test Pilot
12th February 2009, 21:17
:biggrin: you must have been well in to get posted there.. it was a great few days there on the mopeds and all the crack...... the big frogs on the road was the target on the way home.. happy days... are you going to stay for the long haul..ie the pension...

Is the prison still active above the football field?

If I recall correctly, it appeared that wives and girlfriends were regular visitors. Very regular!

spud68
13th February 2009, 12:03
The prison was still active and as we were based there were members of the police mess,resulted in more than one night escorted back to ship while drunk in charge of one and once two mopeds,difficult to drive two mopeds at once but all i can remember is useing two bits of lashing and an engineer to hold the aft end of the second bike . also not sure how many people we had on the now four wheel moped.

sailors when drunk are protected by a higher power we dont care which one
Also most have a beer powered force field.

These are the wise words of an old bosun many years ago .

Test Pilot
20th March 2009, 20:51
Some faces from the Eithne, 1986 I think. And on a Spanish trawler.

Goldie fish
20th March 2009, 21:21
"Is that a fish?"

"Que?"

hptmurphy
21st March 2009, 03:53
'Doggy ' was never great on Haircuts.

Owen Murphy and Ciaran Monks being the other two Leading Seamen, both being divers. Both very good guys to work with. Shared a cabin with Owen, His immortal words of advice being...'don't puke in the sink...most things I'll forgive but not that!'

Once noted for riding a motorcycle naked through kinsale, by his own admission

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
21st March 2009, 16:56
Who is that in the fish hold with the POD?

golden rivet
21st March 2009, 19:45
Who is that in the fish hold with the POD?
it looks like steve lloyd.. pierce is seanie burkes first cousin

damo de muff diver
22nd March 2009, 12:38
I see for that fishing vessel crew that the months at sea had paid off
What a bountiful catch

and on top of that a visit from POD & Lyodie

Does life get any better? :rolleyes:

golden rivet
23rd March 2009, 02:43
I see for that fishing vessel crew that the months at sea had paid off
What a bountiful catch

and on top of that a visit from POD & Lyodie

Does life get any better? :rolleyes:
:biggrin: one from mullingar and the other from tullamore

hptmurphy
23rd March 2009, 22:38
Who remenbers the article on Boardings from the Aoife reported by thecork Eaxminer , two page colour spread.in 1986 where the reporter continously reffered to Stevie Lloyd as 'Ellis' lloyd believing his rank was his forename, tha had us in bits for days with the laughing...poor old 'Ellis'

Test Pilot
10th April 2009, 16:54
The Minister, straight from Louis Copeland and on to the flight deck!

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4862&g2_serialNumber=2

damo de muff diver
10th April 2009, 20:01
Hiya all

Just found this after going thru some old boxes
L.E. Eithne 1st trip to Lorient
We are lying on parka jackets , it was freezing
Remember going into one bar and the owner though we were german
when one of the lads asked him why he said "you all have the german flag on your jackets"
Parka jackets & desert boots = off duty uniform

hptmurphy
10th April 2009, 20:33
Love the shirt Damo..you alway were a fashion guru.

damo de muff diver
10th April 2009, 20:44
Love the shirt Damo..you alway were a fashion guru.

There is a guy in a tank top (M.K.)

and you have the neck to slag my shirt

Any-one that knows me will tell you I always look like I dressed in the dark

Fashion guru , I will let you know young man I also had a silver suit just like ABC :eek:

damo de muff diver
10th April 2009, 21:24
HPT

Just for you
Found this photo of me & our friend the MECH on top of the world trade center

We went there looking for BIG girls
You would have enjoyed :wink:

hptmurphy
10th April 2009, 21:38
Can't Slag of a guy for a tank top.. I had one once upon at time until it fell victim to the boil wash in the laundry.

Yeah as for the silver suit..could have saved yourself a few bob and borrowed one of the flightdeck firefighters suits.

Two pictures o 'Fla' in the one day..stop! the related flashbacks are unbelievable..should have insisted on more than the twenty quid he geve me to take her out!

damo de muff diver
10th April 2009, 21:44
Can't Slag of a guy for a tank top.. I had one once upon at time until it fell victim to the boil wash in the laundry.

Yeah as for the silver suit..could have saved yourself a few bob and borrowed one of the flightdeck firefighters suits.

Two pictures o 'Fla' in the one day..stop! the related flashbacks are unbelievable..should have insisted on more than the twenty quid he geve me to take her out!

To put the matter to rest
I think that you would have paid him 20 quid to take her out
But I will say no more :biggrin::rolleyes::wink:

marloy
10th April 2009, 21:51

i remember my first time using the said laundry that boil wash was expensive had to go out and buy all new civies due to odd shapes and shrinkage:eek:

Test Pilot
10th April 2009, 22:12
i remember my first time using the said laundry that boil wash was expensive had to go out and buy all new civies due to odd shapes and shrinkage:eek:

I recall once that we had problem with the tumble drier in the senior rating mess, in the base. This was before such a drier was available elsewhere in the base. When I went to take a look, the floor area around the tumble drier was awash.

Later it transpired that a junior rate came in during the night, after the mess has closed, and put his clothes into the drier, along with some soap powder. When he could not figure how to turn on the water, he solved the problem by 'chucking' a bucket of water in, closed the door and turned it on.

There was no problem with the boil wash then! :biggrin:

hptmurphy
11th April 2009, 07:47
To put the matter to rest
I think that you would have paid him 20 quid to take her out
But I will say no more

Maybe I should have got a receipt certainly twenty quid wasn't enough..and no I didn't do the dirty deed....it was just a few drinks and a peck on the cheek..mercifully.

the things we did for shipmates.

moggy
11th April 2009, 15:25
Hiya all

Just found this after going thru some old boxes
L.E. Eithne 1st trip to Lorient
We are lying on parka jackets , it was freezing
Remember going into one bar and the owner though we were german
when one of the lads asked him why he said "you all have the german flag on your jackets"
Parka jackets & desert boots = off duty uniform

ray comer good god -whats he doing now sound guy arrived with all the portarlington mafia tony bis etc - cha the tel

moggy
11th April 2009, 17:48
damo are you sure it was eithne all those lads on the picture also served on emer and she did a trip to same location - you have my head buzzing all afternoon on this lorient visit - i think badger was p/o tel on emer at the time - does that ring any bells???

Test Pilot
11th April 2009, 18:36
damo are you sure it was eithne all those lads on the picture also served on emer and she did a trip to same location - you have my head buzzing all afternoon on this lorient visit - i think badger was p/o tel on emer at the time - does that ring any bells???

Damo, great pic of the world trade center.

Moggy, I can confirm that the same lot were in Lorient on the Eithne. A super trip that was. Sub pens, u boats, the lot ! YEA!

moggy
11th April 2009, 18:48
Damo, great pic of the world trade center.

Moggy, I can confirm that the same lot were in Lorient on the Eithne. A super trip that was. Sub pens, u boats, the lot ! YEA!

yeah was on that trip remember the sub bunkers weather was shit good time had by all

damo de muff diver
11th April 2009, 19:19
Maybe I should have got a receipt certainly twenty quid wasn't enough..and no I didn't do the dirty deed....it was just a few drinks and a peck on the cheek..mercifully.

the things we did for shipmates.

If you believe that and you want us to believe that and it helps you sleep at night so be it.

Yes it was Eithne, when we went on Emer M.K. in tank top was on Aisling
Also it was freezing cold thats why we went to beach to take picture
Have said it before nearly all crew from our time on Emer when onto Eithne hence mix up in stories

Also remember badger , he always giving out for getting radios wet :confused:

moggy
11th April 2009, 19:24
If you believe that and you want us to believe that and it helps you sleep at night so be it.

Yes it was Eithne, when we went on Emer M.K. in tank top was on Aisling
Also it was freezing cold thats why we went to beach to take picture
Have said it before nearly all crew from our time on Emer when onto Eithne hence mix up in stories

Also remember badger , he always giving out for getting radios wet :confused:

yes you and especially boomie 3 radio's lost overboard - inquiry - poor badger was never the same again

damo de muff diver
11th April 2009, 19:30
yes you and especially boomie 3 radio's lost overboard - inquiry - poor badger was never the same again

We had so much to remember the boat, the engine, the boarding party , the radios ,the bowman & ourselves , we were bound to misplace & forget somethings.:smile:
It is human nature :wink:

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
11th April 2009, 20:55
poor badger was never the same again

Where did he ever end up I wonder? Like Big George, never seen again!

Test Pilot
11th April 2009, 21:40
Lost a radio myself over the side as a result of a mishap on a Spanish trawler. A tough time, but great support and evac from my colleagues at the time. All the training came to the fore for all concerned. A great bunch of guys. Won't be forgotten.

hptmurphy
11th April 2009, 23:41
We had so much to remember the boat, the engine, the boarding party , the radios ,the bowman & ourselves , we were bound to misplace & forget somethings

I think it was on Aoife about June of 86 when someone negelected to put the securing strop on the outboard..first pull of the cord it kicked into life and jumped off the transom of the gemini and was never seen again!

Did it myself one morning while unloading a magazine after sentry on Emer in Dunlaoighre..round popped out of magazine and over the side..loads of fun!

blaisec
12th April 2009, 13:24
Speaking of losing things overboard. I recall during manouvers on Aisling one time we were using a gemini for something or other, when the boat hit a wave and the Coxn got flipped into the drink. The bowman was facing forward and did not notice until he looked around and had to do a double take. I dont remember who the boat coxswain was but I think it was the second time it had happened to him in a short space of time.

Doc
13th April 2009, 14:31
Speaking of losing things overboard. I recall during manouvers on Aisling one time we were using a gemini for something or other, when the boat hit a wave and the Coxn got flipped into the drink. The bowman was facing forward and did not notice until he looked around and had to do a double take. I dont remember who the boat coxswain was but I think it was the second time it had happened to him in a short space of time.

Was that the same coxn who ran the shop on board?

golden rivet
13th April 2009, 20:28
Where did he ever end up I wonder? Like Big George, never seen again! prison officer and a painter

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
14th April 2009, 20:17
prison officer and a painter

Badger? He did both? In Spike was he?

blaisec
14th April 2009, 21:09
Was that the same coxn who ran the shop on board?

Not the ships Cox'n the Gemini Cox'n

golden rivet
14th April 2009, 22:15
Badger? He did both? In Spike was he?
neg neg big george painting houses.. terry prison officer in dublin

golden rivet
14th April 2009, 22:19
jesus that suit must have been in the boot of the car, as for the hat,, is he still alive.. donaldson is looking cool in the background,, living in florida now,,

Test Pilot
17th April 2009, 11:25
jesus that suit must have been in the boot of the car, as for the hat,, is he still alive.. donaldson is looking cool in the background,, living in florida now,,

I have to hand it to you GR, you know where every one went!
You don't miss a thing !

Do you know where I was over the last week ?:biggrin:

golden rivet
17th April 2009, 21:24
I have to hand it to you GR, you know where every one went!
You don't miss a thing !

Do you know where I was over the last week ?:biggrin::biggrin: looking at boats somewhere

Test Pilot
20th April 2009, 11:27
:biggrin: looking at boats somewhere

No, but I'm relieved that you don't know! :biggrin:

golden rivet
20th April 2009, 19:56
No, but I'm relieved that you don't know! :biggrin:
:cool:ya but we will find out..if it was somewhere naughty..ie amsterdam

BravoWhiskey
19th June 2009, 20:05
How's it goin' everyone, I'm new to this site and I've spent all day reading the stories and looking at the photo's, and Jaysus, the memories it all brings back. My own memory is a bit patchy - most of the '80's was an alcohol induced blur, but I had some great times, with some great crewmates that I'll never forget.

Test Pilot
20th June 2009, 14:05
How's it goin' everyone, I'm new to this site and I've spent all day reading the stories and looking at the photo's, and Jaysus, the memories it all brings back. My own memory is a bit patchy - most of the '80's was an alcohol induced blur, but I had some great times, with some great crewmates that I'll never forget.

Welcome aboard Bravo Whiskey! Look forward to your memories and some photos perhaps?

hptmurphy
20th June 2009, 22:04

Welcome to your conscience....we have memories some would rather forget lol..photos and yarns very acceptable here

The great thing about this thread is if you can't remember the detail of your nightmares, we always have someone who was there with you

Welcome aboard.

damo de muff diver
22nd June 2009, 14:13

Welcome aboard B.W.
Hope that you have some photos to help fill in the blanks :eek:
All stories welcome as well :biggrin:

golden rivet
23rd June 2009, 11:21
trying to suss out your identity to see have we any sca on you or you on me

BravoWhiskey
27th June 2009, 11:09
Thanks lads. Unfortunately I've no sca on you G.R. (Faughny?). And hopefully you won't have too much on me....

hptmurphy
29th June 2009, 00:12
Back in 1987 when were working with the Army and guards dropping them to secluded islands off the west coast the boats crews on Eithne got paid danger money, a pittance but think we were one of the first to be awarded such. While all other around us were armed to the teeth we had but our trusty Seamans Knives and put boarding parties into strange places, Found **** all but apart from Routine FP it was one of the most intensive ops I was on.

I was Damos bowman for one set of boardings but my recent back injury came back to haunt me and had wait until the next day to go out with Shim sham to continue the job..went out with damo the next day and we broke the boat, blew the head gasket and limped back to ship. Challenging times but a fantastic crew. Popeye was the right man in the right place and took no shit from the gardai and army and new the limitations of his men and our abilities. We never once failed us when it came to putting senior ranks outside the NS, in their place supported his boats crews fully and never flinched at putting us in the forefront.

After this he was one of those characters you new who wouldn't back down and if he believed we could do it volunteered us. Got us some shitty details but always got us the frontline ones as well.

We got to meet some very interesting people as result of the configuration of the ship.

the french army, the us coast guard, the ARW and the Indian navy all looking at aspects of what we did. Tough but fair with some idiosincrasies but always believed in his mens capabilities.Dropped few howlers also but wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Mallard was the only time I was specifically on anti Terrorist ops and it certainly increased the adrenalin rush. 6 weeks of no sleep . Boats all day and rushed meals, very intensive, We lost the Garda Support and Army support after the first few days as they couldn't handle the sea sickness and jumping ladders in to seariders was something they never mastered so we carried on regardless buy we found nothing but the fact we tried under severe conditions meant we had at least tried.

Yeah while it was fruitless ,a lot a lessons learned under operational conditions but wouldn't have missed it for the world and two fires on board to top it all off.How bad

golden rivet
4th July 2009, 23:51
this day 23 years ago on duty at anchor new york with one of the greatest bunch of lunatics ever put together... happy days

moggy
5th July 2009, 18:28
this day 23 years ago on duty at anchor new york with one of the greatest bunch of lunatics ever put together... happy days

23 years ago happy days eithne now heading to boston here we go again what is this the 4th us trip??

damo de muff diver
5th July 2009, 23:09

On duty as Liberty Launch Cox`n 4th July 1986..... hap,hap,happy day:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:s

golden rivet
6th July 2009, 00:15
the new lads would be in a heap trying to drive one of them damo... is it just boston eithne is going to..

moggy
6th July 2009, 12:10
the new lads would be in a heap trying to drive one of them damo... is it just boston eithne is going to..
no philly as well nice trip

damo de muff diver
6th July 2009, 14:13

I remember that day as if it was yesterday, spent the whole day in the Liberty Launch bringing V.I.P.s to Eithne & other ships for the massive fireworks display

Moggy quick question
"would the Eithne bring passengers on trip , would be willing to do a couple of steering watches & maby some light mopping :wink:"

hptmurphy
6th July 2009, 14:37
Moggy quick question
"would the Eithne bring passengers on trip , would be willing to do a couple of steering watches & maby some light mopping "

which is alot more than passengers did in the past!

moggy
6th July 2009, 17:38
which is alot more than passengers did in the past!

dont honestly know but i would imagine there are a couple of joe walsh people on board
i am kinda surprised that they are going concerning the budget etc

damo de muff diver
25th July 2009, 18:43
Just found this
HPT will give any-one who wants to know the correct date

moggy
26th July 2009, 19:29
Just found this

keep it going damo

damo de muff diver
26th July 2009, 21:03
keep it going damo

Keep what going ? :confused:

Guess who ?????????? :wink:

hptmurphy
26th July 2009, 23:47
Just found this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eithne crew with President.jpg (263.9 KB, 34 views)

Friday 2nd October 1987 having spent a week bring Paddy Hilary around the coast ona jolly stopping off too play golf in various locations. Bastard of a week as each time on the bridge had to ne in No 2s..and Hilleray was pissed every night. One one night in particular Popeye to tod him to '**** off his bridge' as he was pissed.

Second night was when we went to anchor in Arklow bay to drink the beer he had sent down to the ratings rec,,he stuck his head in the door and was told to **** off back up to the ward room by damo..which of course he did.

Bedlam later broke out on the Orlop deck with the Officer9 Seamus Gallagher) of the watch being warned not to go down there less he become a victim of the shennanigans, I was ripped out of my slepping back..had my jocks riped off me and covered in Jif..this was minor in comparrison to Paul Numan being dragged through the vent in the cabin door stripped and covered in various cleaning substances..the ring leader...Damo

just an average night of R & R on Eithne in the Eighties..no harm done

damo de muff diver
27th July 2009, 13:20
Remember one incident
While waiting on a small pier somewhere in Kerry for the Liberty Launch , the Prez Paddy Hilary comes back from one of his golfing trips with him were the people he had played golf with.
As we waited , we could see the Liberty Launch approach and I just passed a comment that I thought he was coming in a bit too fast
As the bowman stood up on the bow toget ready to come alongside we were looking at the Cox`n of the Liberty Launch to see if he was going to slow or would he try the dramatic and throw it into reverse at the last second ( never a good move )
Then a strange look came over his face as he held up his right hand and the throttle lever was in it , it had come off in his hand as he went to throw it in reverse .
The Liberty Launch hit the pier , the poor bowman shot foward like he had been fired from a cannon and rolled across the pier landing at Paddy Hilarys feet
As he tried to get himself together lying on the ground he looked up at the President .
Paddy Hilary looking down at the poor bloke just said " That looked painful "

Throught all this Liberty Launch Cox`n had managed to get the throttle handle back on and stop the boat as we all looked at him he had the reddest head that I had ever seen on a Wexford twin ( clue to I.D. )
As we got on board the Liberty Launch to go back to the ship a senior rate mech above P.O. said to the Cox`n " Seaman XXXXX just take us back to the ship , don`t try to shoot us through it "

We never let that seaman live it down

hptmurphy
27th July 2009, 23:28
Know exactly who you are talking about...problem was trying to figure out which brother was which.one served on Deirdre the other on Eithne.Had a lucky escape in April 1988 when they rolled a car coming back from Carrigaline..a bright green toyota starlet.

Some guys would do anything to get out of a duty.

Damo remember the night we were on duty for Frankie Troys fiftieth birthday and the ceremonial life buoy fell over the side and we gave an hour trying to fish it out using heaving lines...just as his guest were leaving..you were DPO the same night..I was on QM..the buoy was caught betwee the ships side and the quay wall in the basin, took people ages to figure out why its was avery distinct oval sahpe the next day!

damo de muff diver
28th July 2009, 21:09
Damo remember the night we were on duty for Frankie Troys fiftieth birthday and the ceremonial life buoy fell over the side and we gave an hour trying to fish it out using heaving lines...just as his guest were leaving..you were DPO the same night..I was on QM..the buoy was caught betwee the ships side and the quay wall in the basin, took people ages to figure out why its was avery distinct oval sahpe the next day!

I do indeed
Not the only night , remember one night in Dun Laoughaire when a certain L/Tel after a skinful of beer wanted to see how far he could throw it across the harbour.
The abuse that thing got over the years , beggers belief. :rolleyes:

hptmurphy
28th July 2009, 23:06
What was the resteraunt/Cafe we used to frquent just down the street from the Harp Bar?

the had a sandwich board type sign out side the door. 'Able' and another I can't remember whom liberated it one night abd carried it down the south city quays to ship the ship. Left it at the gangway and was still there the next morning when the skipper arrived back.Later was deposited in Dublin harbour to get rid of the evidence.

Picture the scene..I'm on QM and all I can hear is cle..deas .. cle... deas... cle..stad....suihgih airm.!.and the two boys drop the sign and scurry up the gangway ,full to the gills, giggling away. Drill was perfect !

damo de muff diver
29th July 2009, 21:38
What was the resteraunt/Cafe we used to frquent just down the street from the Harp Bar?

the had a sandwich board type sign out side the door. 'Able' and another I can't remember whom liberated it one night abd carried it down the south city quays to ship the ship. Left it at the gangway and was still there the next morning when the skipper arrived back.Later was deposited in Dublin harbour to get rid of the evidence.

Picture the scene..I'm on QM and all I can hear is cle..deas .. cle... deas... cle..stad....suihgih airm.!.and the two boys drop the sign and scurry up the gangway ,full to the gills, giggling away. Drill was perfect !

Another sign that found a home on Eithne
Also the Rec space bar I remember the day the chippy made it & the wink and nod system that said " we need glasses for this thing " & hey presto after a night ashore glasses just like magic appeared there
Aren`t miracles wonderful :biggrin:

Test Pilot
30th July 2009, 11:02
Keep what going ? :confused:

Guess who ?????????? :wink:

Bloody Hell, Damo! Just seen it. Where did you get that?:biggrin:

damo de muff diver
30th July 2009, 13:09
Bloody Hell, Damo! Just seen it. Where did you get that?:biggrin:

You gave it to me
Got the whole set , you got them developed in Boston in Photo Quick film labs
129 Pearl St & 45 Union St Boston :rolleyes:
At this moment you`re thinking " my god but his memory is good " :confused:

Not really just still have the sleeve they came in

Remember we dived in 2 groups , I dived in the first you in the second hence have no photos of me or 1st group , just you , A.K. & C.M. & Engineering officer whose name I cannot remember

Laners
30th July 2009, 19:02
The Pub Grub sign was hanging outside the Daniel O Connell pub O Connell Street Dublin . It just fell into my arms as I passed under it , how could that happen ? .

Test Pilot
30th July 2009, 20:07
You gave it to me
Got the whole set , you got them developed in Boston in Photo Quick film labs
129 Pearl St & 45 Union St Boston :rolleyes:
At this moment you`re thinking " my god but his memory is good " :confused:

Not really just still have the sleeve they came in

Remember we dived in 2 groups , I dived in the first you in the second hence have no photos of me or 1st group , just you , A.K. & C.M. & Engineering officer whose name I cannot remember

Now I recall something. I had a Nikon underwater camera for the trip Nikonis 5 ? Oh yes, the EO was Mick Boyle.

Would you know any thing about this pic?

Sluggie
30th July 2009, 20:57
Now I recall something. I had a Nikon underwater camera for the trip Nikonis 5 ? Oh yes, the EO was Mick Boyle.

"Would you like to buy a bit of carpet boss?"

damo de muff diver
30th July 2009, 21:29

Spot on Mick Boyle
When some-one says it then I remember

About pic
I could be totally wrong but that never stopped me
In the early 80`s a garda was diving with a civie diving club
they came upon a wreck WW1 if memories serve me
While exploring same noticed a lot of shells on the sea bed ( the bang your dead type )
They got out of there & reported same
The diving unit was sent there to blow it all up
Can you remember what ship you took photo from as I seem to remember 2 ships being sent with divers ( Emer & Aoife )
Just remember there being a lot of divers present as we had to map out & locate wreck &
all shells
Its the blue box that makes me think of this as we used something like that for carrying detonators & fuses ect,ect.

Jolly_Jack
30th July 2009, 22:15
Spot on Mick Boyle

Querba (http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/shipwrecks.php?off_number=&wreck_ref=162)

Diving ops circa 88/89/90.

hptmurphy
30th July 2009, 23:11
The Pub Grub sign was hanging outside the Daniel O Connell pub O Connell Street Dublin . It just fell into my arms as I passed under it , how could that happen ? .

**** me..another sign......trend setters

Test Pilot
31st July 2009, 19:55
Spot on Mick Boyle
When some-one says it then I remember

About pic
I could be totally wrong but that never stopped me
While exploring same noticed a lot of shells on the sea bed ( the bang your dead type )
They got out of there & reported same
The diving unit was sent there to blow it all up
Can you remember what ship you took photo from as I seem to remember 2 ships being sent with divers ( Emer & Aoife )
Just remember there being a lot of divers present as we had to map out & locate wreck &
all shells
Its the blue box that makes me think of this as we used something like that for carrying detonators & fuses ect,ect.

Yes , you are quite correct. The Divers were KM and B C. I took the picture from the Blasket itself. I recall the dive team was there for quite some time and had taken over one of the old cottages on the Island as a base.

One 'talented' guy PG, painted a mural over the fireplace. I took a picture of it about a year later.

I'll see if I can fine it!

damo de muff diver
31st July 2009, 21:52
Yes , you are quite correct. The Divers were KM and B C. I took the picture from the Blasket itself. I recall the dive team was there for quite some time and had taken over one of the old cottages on the Island as a base.

One 'talented' guy PG, painted a mural over the fireplace. I took a picture of it about a year later.

I'll see if I can fine it!

Yeah I couldn`t forget them 2
Did my ships diver course with them
Did the SAR course with KM
See if you can find photo would love to see it :smile:

Test Pilot
1st August 2009, 17:19
Yeah I couldn`t forget them 2
Did my ships diver course with them
Did the SAR course with KM
See if you can find photo would love to see it :smile:
Here you go! August 1987 on the Blaskets.

damo de muff diver
4th August 2009, 22:23
Here you go! August 1987 on the Blaskets.

Most excellent T.P.

It`s funny when you see photos such as this how the memories come flooding back & it seems just like yesterday . And even things that you seem to have forgotten come back to you .

Please keep it up ......... I like ......:biggrin:

Test Pilot
23rd August 2009, 16:14
New York Trip, 1986. Hanging out with the locals.

damo de muff diver
23rd August 2009, 17:57
New York Trip, 1986. Hanging out with the locals.

Deccy K. , Tom M. & one of New yorks finest
Keep them coming T.P.
Am getting major flashbacks......:biggrin::eek::confused::wink: :biggrin:

Marnealach
24th September 2009, 23:10
the 13 year old is Joe Murphy from kildare,he would take that as a compliment,also in the photo is wilie fortune and jimmy bartley.I am still trying jog the old memory on the rest even do I should know them.

"Haggis" McDermot, Jim O Connell, Mick Smullen, Joe Murphy, Willie Fortune,Jimmy Bartley, Martin walkin and gaybo Whitson

colm.mogs.moroney
27th January 2011, 04:23
"Haggis" McDermot, Jim O Connell, Mick Smullen, Joe Murphy, Willie Fortune,Jimmy Bartley, Martin walkin and gaybo Whitson

What's the craic?

colm.mogs.moroney
27th January 2011, 04:40
It wasn't 514 it was 314

colm.mogs.moroney
27th January 2011, 04:41
been a long time-512

colm.mogs.moroney
29th January 2011, 14:43
Which cabin is that?

I lived in two different ones..511 and 514..

Hard to believe that was almost twenty five years ago.

New to this. May have posted this before, but thought I remember you in 512?

hptmurphy
1st February 2011, 13:37
Was it 512..I know I lived in one of the others as well. Welcome to the board Colm.

You missed one hell of reunion in November.

you may have figured out who Damo is..him being the non stere typical LSea that lead us astry from time to time..another leading gunner in here. Golden Rivet..a very quiet and respectable soul in comparrison to the Damo lunatic and check out the Irish Navy friends connection page and the Irish Navy opages on Face book...guess what you turn up in quite a few.

Pityyou didn't turn up a bit sooner and you could have revisted the past big time.. the loons were still the loons......