PDA

View Full Version : Aoife 1982 some memories

AlanF
12th December 2007, 19:45
Removed by Owner

yooklid
12th December 2007, 21:33
Hot damn - the old Johnson Mooney and O'Brien Bread wrappers....

moggy
13th December 2007, 13:51
Hot damn - the old Johnson Mooney and O'Brien Bread wrappers....

whats the story with the tree on the table - did they bring that back from ringaskiddy or what???

AlanF
13th December 2007, 14:47
Removed by Owner

Test Pilot
13th December 2007, 18:08
Look at 'Joey the smoke', and what ever happened to Haggis?

moggy
13th December 2007, 18:22
Look at 'Joey the smoke', and what ever happened to Haggis?

look at hagis indeed - i think he did his time and dissappeared over the blue wonder
that nickname truly suited him

Test Pilot
13th December 2007, 19:27
Joey the smoke and Co.

Test Pilot
13th December 2007, 19:38
whats the story with the tree on the table - did they bring that back from ringaskiddy or what???

That's not a tree Moggy, here's a tree! Fell on the ship??????:rolleyes:

moggy
14th December 2007, 09:22
That's not a tree Moggy, here's a tree! Fell on the ship??????:rolleyes:

they will do anything for a christmas tree - now that i remember test pilot
you had a keyboard you used to play especially around christmas do you still have same

Test Pilot
14th December 2007, 17:22
they will do anything for a christmas tree - now that i remember test pilot
you had a keyboard you used to play especially around christmas do you still have same

I do! I can play it a bit better now than I did then!:biggrin: Not that much better though.
Have a look at this pic - who would have thought there was a war on! There was an Italian ammo ship to right of pic, and they had full armed sentries posted on deck. But we had the cooks and two Tommy Coopers!

moggy
14th December 2007, 18:08
I do! I can play it a bit better now than I did then!:biggrin: Not that much better though.
Have a look at this pic - who would have thought there was a war on! There was an Italian ammo ship to right of pic, and they had full armed sentries posted on deck. But we had the cooks and two Tommy Coopers!

hey look at stapo the cook - i see him regulary - will pass on the photos
nice one where is the keyboard??? and the snake actually dont answer that

Test Pilot
14th December 2007, 18:27
did anyone notice the two APC's in the background?

Test Pilot
14th December 2007, 18:32
Eh! mmmmmmmm don't know! Think I traded it for a bicycle.

golden rivet
14th December 2007, 18:44
Have a look at this pic - who would have thought there was a war on! There was an Italian ammo ship to right of pic, and they had full armed sentries posted on deck. But we had the cooks and two Tommy Coopers! can we have names and where are they now ..

Test Pilot
14th December 2007, 19:30
can we have names and where are they now ..
Cook Paul Stapleton, Chippy Jim O'Connell, Cook Billy lahive, Kevin Mahon, Billy lahive again? CPO frank Durnan, O/SEA Jimmy Dowdall. 1982 in Beirut. Where are they now? No idea.

Jolly_Jack
15th December 2007, 03:23
where the that missing box of "factory machinery spares" go?????? :confused:

XtraOrdinarySeaman
15th December 2007, 20:35
these threads are a fascinating look back into the past of the NS. seems like the level of craic was world class. thanks for your contributions, and, please, keep them coming!

hptmurphy
15th December 2007, 23:50
The missing box of FN's funny you should bring that up....they were never missing ..only in the opinion of the press!

Years after I met the army officer who had signed for them and his career almost ground to a halt because of them.

they turned up at the bottom of Aoifes ammo hoist .

they were never in the engineers office and never got washed over board.

GoneToTheCanner
16th December 2007, 19:25
Hi Murph,
I have seen Officers and QMs go white at the thought of having to account for a single lost round.Imagine what woud happen if a whole box of shooters went astray.Have a look at today's UK papers about fellas jailed for smuggling guns back from Iraq.Kind of puts losing a single round on the Glen into it's relevant place.
regards
GttC

Barry
16th December 2007, 19:31
Or the stories about lads "borrowing" SA80s and robbing the local bank/post office in full CBRN gear.....including their name and number written on the front!

Test Pilot
16th December 2007, 19:37
Or the stories about lads "borrowing" SA80s and robbing the local bank/post office in full CBRN gear.....including their name and number written on the front!

A bit like 'Nelly' the seaman who was drunk in a certain pub in Cobh. When he ran out of drinking money he went into the local sweet shop and tried to hold it up with a paper bag over his head. But he met his match, the old lady behind the counter beat him up the street with a brush handle!:biggrin:

hptmurphy
16th December 2007, 19:57
[QUOTE][Hi Murph,
I have seen Officers and QMs go white at the thought of having to account for a single lost round.Imagine what woud happen if a whole box of shooters went astray/QUOTE]

the funny thing is ..it happened back in 1986 when Aoife was a resupply to the Leb.

A box of FN's went missing, it was thought they went over board during heavy weather but this was impossible.

About twelve months later they were found but not where they should have been.

The incident was forgotten about with the passage of time but the papers had it at the time , remember it quite well.Talk about a shit storm.

golden rivet
16th December 2007, 20:01
A bit like 'Nelly' the seaman who was drunk in a certain pub in Cobh. When he ran out of drinking money he went into the local sweet shop and tried to hold it up with a paper bag over his head. But he met his match, the old lady behind the counter beat him up the street with a brush handle!:biggrin::smile: he put a sock over his head and he was forever known after that as THE BORDER SOCK:biggrin:

Test Pilot
16th December 2007, 22:01
[quote][Hi Murph,
I have seen Officers and QMs go white at the thought of having to account for a single lost round.Imagine what woud happen if a whole box of shooters went astray/QUOTE]

the funny thing is ..it happened back in 1986 when Aoife was a resupply to the Leb.

A box of FN's went missing, it was thought they went over board during heavy weather but this was impossible.

The incident was forgotten about with the passage of time but the papers had it at the time , remember it quite well.Talk about a shit storm.

There was always the fear that the ammo would get into the hands of the IRA. Hence the shit storm if a bullet went missing, let alone a box of guns.

A farmer friend of mine once told me that he called to a farm, not that far from Cobh, many years ago, to buy a piece of machinery. When he drove into the yard, the army, police and forensics were there digging up a field with a JCB.
As the farmer approached, my friend nervously started to make excuses to leave.

'Oh, I see your'e busy, I'll call again. he said.

No, your'e all right, they're only looking for arms' said the farmer.

''What! Well in that case, I'll leave you at it!' said my friend, thinking what shit am I getting myself into here.

No, there's no problem, said the farmer, 'sure they're digging in the wrong field !!!!!

Test Pilot
17th December 2007, 22:22
Al's trademark hat! from the Aoife.

moggy
18th December 2007, 14:17
Al's trademark hat! from the Aoife.

looks like something out of the cruel sea?? sunk by a u-boat
what a crew

AlanF
18th December 2007, 14:32
Removed by Owner

Test Pilot
21st December 2007, 21:19
Who were they? Where are they now?

WES
21st December 2007, 21:30

Isn't it funny how things click into place after all the years. I was with the 60 Irishbatt in 1986/87. I came back from a sixty hour to find all my comrades had been issued with brand new FNs. They were moaning about having to take the grease off. Unfortunately there was not to go around!!! I spent six weeks in a war zone with no weapon as all the old ones had been taken back. I used to have to borrow a rifle from people who were resting in order to go on duty. :eek:

Is this the reason why???????

Test Pilot
24th December 2007, 17:31
A few from the galley on Aoife, and one or two who had no business there!:biggrin: Circa 1982.

moonstomper
25th December 2007, 02:57
Some pictures from Aoife in 82. Hope this works
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10002.jpg
Going ashore, Killybegs
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10004.jpg
Afterdeck
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10001.jpg
Radio Cabin
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10006.jpg
Almeria

Test Pilot
25th December 2007, 11:21
[quote=moonstomper;189942]Some pictures from Aoife in 82. Hope this works

Radio Cabin

Was that Seanie Boyle in the radio cabin?

moggy
25th December 2007, 13:23
[quote=moonstomper;189942]Some pictures from Aoife in 82. Hope this works

Radio Cabin

Was that Seanie Boyle in the radio cabin?

roger dat - thats seanie ok

hptmurphy
25th December 2007, 16:25
I spotted Willie Bryant amongst them

golden rivet
25th December 2007, 18:33
I spotted Willie Bryant amongst them willie bryant really stands out the officer looks like gene ryan now a commander..as for the rest dont know...

moonstomper
25th December 2007, 20:15
Sadly can't remember most of the names and the blurred photo doesn't help but think the four on the right the right are mech Jimmy Bartley, Eugene Ryan; a Lt. at the time, Sig Ken Chadwick and ERA Seamus McGuigan. 2nd from left is A/Sea Hughie Hannigan.

Test Pilot
25th December 2007, 22:34
Sadly can't remember most of the names and the blurred photo doesn't help but think the four on the right the right are mech Jimmy Bartley, Eugene Ryan; a Lt. at the time, Sig Ken Chadwick and ERA Seamus McGuigan. 2nd from left is A/Sea Hughie Hannigan.
Looks like 'Littler' O'Keeffe on the left.

golden rivet
25th December 2007, 22:58
Looks like 'Littler' O'Keeffe on the left. a few of the lads beside the wine billy lahive.. hal smith. haggis,

Test Pilot
28th December 2007, 19:57
Moggy, don't place any bets! It looks like Dathai the RRT, not Ken. But then I could be wrong! Sorry I could not clean it up any better. Original sent in low res.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
28th December 2007, 20:02
Littler O'Keeffe on the left there. H Hannigan, Jumbo O'Reilly, Tucker Dunlop, Willie The Gonk and Geno Ryan. Can't make out anyone else.

moonstomper
31st December 2007, 17:41
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10001-1.jpg

Going to the range, Aoife. Both those officers were among the best I ever came across in the NS, really sound.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10002-2.jpg

Alongside Dun Laoighre I think. Photo I got from Gay Whitson.

Test Pilot
31st December 2007, 19:03
I remember that range shot in Kinsale very well. Jonny Brit, Al Finan, Joey the smoke, Jimmy Bartley, - Who else? the faces I know well, but the names !!!

Moonstomper, I hope you don't mind me having a go at cleaning it up a little bit.:smile:

golden rivet
31st December 2007, 19:10
LT MICK BOYLE LT BUCKLEY...NIALL DUNNE.WILLIE FORTUNE JAFFA THE COOK NO BOBBIN ON HAT . THE LAD ON THE LEFT GOT( ironed) on the ship one time!!!!

AlanF
31st December 2007, 19:16
Removed by Owner

golden rivet
31st December 2007, 19:18
Ah Yes Martin Walkin,,,

Test Pilot
31st December 2007, 20:12
LT MICK BOYLE LT BUCKLEY...NIALL DUNNE.WILLIE FORTUNE JAFFA THE COOK NO BOBBIN ON HAT . THE LAD ON THE LEFT GOT( ironed) on the ship one time!!!!

He did, and 'Iron head' as he was known thereafter, was chased around the ship by Iggy with a sword, which he bought in Spain, and was followed by the Coxn, 'Paaaady', who tried to recover the sword. What a ship that was!:biggrin:
What was the medics name in the range photo?

AlanF
31st December 2007, 20:38
Removed by Owner

GoneToTheCanner
31st December 2007, 20:48
Hi there
Lads, I have to pass the baton of scruffiest Military force from the Donners of my time to the NS...it looks like a bunch of S.American bandidos...Imagine, there's men there with much more hair than the average Donner had and we were experts at keeping long hair under the beret...the fella in the dufflecoat looks like he was rejected from The Clash...sandals, runners, civvy jackets....Donners, hang your hats up, we have been soundly trashed by the Irish Naval Service (St Vincent De Paul branch).
regards
GttC

golden rivet
31st December 2007, 21:34
I remember the night that the picture of Aoife was taken. I was on QM that night and would have been 1981. I bet all the lights attracted some trollops...

golden rivet
31st December 2007, 21:35
He did, and 'Iron head' as he was known thereafter, was chased around the ship by Iggy with a sword, which he bought in Spain, and was followed by the Coxn, 'Paaaady', who tried to recover the sword. What a ship that was!:biggrin:
What was the medics name in the range photo? as mousey used to say to him you dont need a helmet on guard you have a built in one,,

moonstomper
31st December 2007, 22:45
Hi there
Lads, I have to pass the baton of scruffiest Military force from the Donners of my time to the NS...it looks like a bunch of S.American bandidos...Imagine, there's men there with much more hair than the average Donner had and we were experts at keeping long hair under the beret...the fella in the dufflecoat looks like he was rejected from The Clash...sandals, runners, civvy jackets....Donners, hang your hats up, we have been soundly trashed by the Irish Naval Service (St Vincent De Paul branch).

And if you think that's bad you should have seen a minesweeper crew. I remember going to the range with Grainne and there probably wasn't two people dressed alike in the whole crew!

When I went to the Leb I was really struck by the difference between the Army and Naval Service ethos. On a ship, in particular, the officers left you alone to do your job and rarely bothered much about matters of dress or kit, unless there was an inspection in the offing. Provided everything was clean and tidy nobody bothered. Anyone who didn't turn up for duties would have to face the other members of their division who'd get caught instead, and that was a more serious prospect than a bollocking from an officer. So there was more opportunity for.......individualism, you might call it.

AlanF
1st January 2008, 00:16
Removed by Owner

Goldie fish
1st January 2008, 00:33
The naval service was often referred to as the Cinderella of the Defence forces back then. Who was to blame really? HQ was in Dublin, only time the Flag saw the place was when he popped down for a comissioning. Those beneath him were just waiting for him to move aside so they could take his job. The fact that the senior officers were Corvette veterans and all that went with that possibly didn't help either. To the Civil servants cossetted in Parkgate(and nowhere else, unlike today) they were more concerned with moving piles of papers from one stack to another, and spending as little as possible in the process.

In the 70s Second hand ships, and when we finally got a new one, Irish Shipping insisted on being part of the design process, even though they knew less about building ships than the navy did.

I wonder what will those future seamen say about the Navy of the 90s and 00s?

hptmurphy
1st January 2008, 00:41
The spit and polish was there when required. I remember GHQ inspection when everybody was immaculate but nobody ever seemed to have a camera.

I remember the liberty boat Cox'n from Emer in 1986 having to drop the visiting brass between ships..pity somebody had fed hima dose of laxitives before hand...and the bloody paint wasn't dry on the boat.. few grey arses around the place and the fastest trip in a liberty boat anybody ever had!

In 1988 we had work up for exercises and the ships captains had to be dropped to Aoife I think.... we had a searider and every one else had geminis..unfortuneatley while the searider had the greater speed the acceleration was poor to say the least, and having dropped the OC at the acomm ladder the searider came under fire from the upperdecks... jesus those spuds were hard... think the skipper made his own way back as we weren't running that gauntlet of spuds again...me and 'Shim Sham' Lynch

AlanF
1st January 2008, 16:50
Removed by Owner

darkvader
2nd January 2008, 03:12
Cook Paul Stapleton, Chippy Jim O'Connell, Cook Billy lahive, Kevin Mahon, Billy lahive again? CPO frank Durnan, O/SEA Jimmy Dowdall. 1982 in Beirut. Where are they now? No idea.
Well cook Paul Stapleton is alive and kicking
Darkvader

moggy
2nd January 2008, 11:11
Here is one of my prize possessions from Aoife, a little piece of History. I remember that at the time all the ships got mugs like this one, but not sure many have survived.

Alan

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/aoife_mug.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/p22_mug.jpg

alan put them on ebay ha ha

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
2nd January 2008, 16:27
Here is one of my prize possessions from Aoife, a little piece of History. I remember that at the time all the ships got mugs like this one, but not sure many have survived.

Alan

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/aoife_mug.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/p22_mug.jpg

Ha, I totally have two of those mugs in my cupboard. I always use them. Never got one off any other ship though.

darkvader
3rd January 2008, 06:03
what a trip ? is there any more photos out there of the trip
Darkvader

Connaught Stranger
3rd January 2008, 10:06
Hallo Gents,:biggrin: I just recently joined the forum when I spotted this thread, with regards the Aoife, I believe she was scheduled to make a courtesy visit to the Romanian Port of Constansa, on the Black Sea last year, I was sent an invite to my home in Transylvania being ex-Defence Forces to go and visit the ship and meet the crew, from the Irish Embassy in Bucharest, I live on the west side of the country so its about 18 - 24 hours to go by train from my home to Constansa, at the last minute, about an hour before I headed for the train, I was contacted to say the visit had been cancelled unexpectedly, seems there was a rumour going around on the net that the Turkish would not let the ship sail in their waters through the Bosperous as no application had been made!!!
So they had to spend an extra week in Malta!!
Does anybody know if the ship will make an attempt this year (2008) hopefully with all the correct paperwork and red-tape sorted:tongue:

Connaught Stranger, In Transylvania, where the Garlic Roses Grow!!

Test Pilot
3rd January 2008, 11:58
Ha, I totally have two of those mugs in my cupboard. I always use them. Never got one off any other ship though.

Feck it! I've none!

AlanF
3rd January 2008, 13:36
Removed by Owner

golden rivet
3rd January 2008, 20:03
I remember when these mugs first appeared. Everyone laughed. But today 25 years on their sentimental value makes them valuable and I would rather guess that the people who sailed on the ships who had these mugs would like very much to own one.

May be some Business Tycoon could get a memorabilia thing going.

AlanF as they say in thailand I give you five dollar for mug

Test Pilot
3rd January 2008, 23:07
what a trip ? is there any more photos out there of the trip
Darkvader

Stand by One! I have to dig them out.

moggy
4th January 2008, 13:09
Hallo Gents,:biggrin: I just recently joined the forum when I spotted this thread, with regards the Aoife, I believe she was scheduled to make a courtesy visit to the Romanian Port of Constansa, on the Black Sea last year, I was sent an invite to my home in Transylvania being ex-Defence Forces to go and visit the ship and meet the crew, from the Irish Embassy in Bucharest, I live on the west side of the country so its about 18 - 24 hours to go by train from my home to Constansa, at the last minute, about an hour before I headed for the train, I was contacted to say the visit had been cancelled unexpectedly, seems there was a rumour going around on the net that the Turkish would not let the ship sail in their waters through the Bosperous as no application had been made!!!
So they had to spend an extra week in Malta!!
Does anybody know if the ship will make an attempt this year (2008) hopefully with all the correct paperwork and red-tape sorted:tongue:

Connaught Stranger, In Transylvania, where the Garlic Roses Grow!!

Could start a ballhop - add in a few other countries

Test Pilot
4th January 2008, 18:16
Some of Moggy's hang outs and crew!

Test Pilot
4th January 2008, 18:33

Ah, found it! here is my cup!

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
5th January 2008, 19:07
Some of Moggy's hang outs and crew!

Holy jeez, the old Hagenuk gear and the telex machine. I was on Aoife for their half life refit in 96 or so...two weeks left after six months of a refit and all we had in the MCO was a bench and the two EIYM wooden blocks for either side of the portholes! We actually went out on a day trip on trials with just a new Skanti VHF and a 77 set.:rolleyes: