PDA

View Full Version : Grainne could cramp your style

AlanF
13th December 2007, 20:53
LE Grainne 1984

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/grainne_1984_meail_time.jpg

Note. Mick Kelly, starting to think he was the Navy's answer to Forrest Gump, turning up everywhere.

http://www.geocities.com/afinan/grainne_1984_meail_time_like_home.jpg

Remember these conditions? Only people who served on the Sweepers could and although very cramped and old were the best ships to serve on.

For those who never had the chance to be onboard one of these tubs, the guy's sitting on the inside are on a bunk, so if you were resting off, dinner time was a pain. :eek:

I am also posting some pictures from the past to the gallery here, already put up Richard Bransons refueling stop with LE Aisling back in 1986.

hptmurphy
13th December 2007, 21:57
These are real blast from the past...living history

Goldie fish
13th December 2007, 22:17
I wonder if in years to come, others will look back in disgust at the idea of up to four people having to share a cabin?
Even the RN have put an end to the messdecking idea.

hedgehog
13th December 2007, 22:20
whats Mess Decking

or is it a private activity carried out at sea when the barrel is full

golden rivet
13th December 2007, 22:30
These are real blast from the past...living history

it was rough .. first up best dressed,, that looks like Bob kelly.in the second picture nearest the camera,R.I.P...

Goldie fish
13th December 2007, 22:31
No, honkey.
Mess decking is the practice of the crew on a warship sleeping and eating in the same place.

Mess deck on HMS Belfast.

http://file043b.bebo.com/0/large/2007/12/12/21/257590782a6357014392l.jpg

AlanF
13th December 2007, 22:49
Bob Kelly, the Seaman, served on Emer? If so thats not him.

Is this is the Bob Kelly you are thinking about, don't tell me he died.

Alan

Test Pilot
13th December 2007, 23:26
I wonder if in years to come, others will look back in disgust at the idea of up to four people having to share a cabin?
Even the RN have put an end to the messdecking idea.

We shared a small four berth cabin on the Orla and Ciara for years. Great fun, but not the worst. There were two eleven berths on the lower deck and they were cramped!

golden rivet
14th December 2007, 00:39
We shared a small four berth cabin on the Orla and Ciara for years. Great fun, but not the worst. There were two eleven berths on the lower deck and they were cramped!:cool: ah the smell of feet in the morning, and the way the bosun might look at you.. we would survive anywhere..

moggy
14th December 2007, 10:27
now we all know where the smell was coming from - the seamens mess - even with the builkhead partition things counld get very tight and smelly

golden rivet
14th December 2007, 19:19
now we all know where the smell was coming from - the seamens mess - even with the builkhead partition things counld get very tight and smelly that was the fola as for the grainne it was spotless you mean the executive branch moggy:smile:

Test Pilot
14th December 2007, 19:25
that was the fola as for the grainne it was spotless you mean the executive branch moggy:smile:

I'm led to believe that there was no problem with 'call the hands'. Just one fart and the bunk space was cleared!:biggrin: :biggrin:

golden rivet
14th December 2007, 19:32
I'm led to believe that there was no problem with 'call the hands'. Just one fart and the bunk space was cleared!:biggrin: :biggrin:the old system for sending signals to the bridge was a small 20mm shell on a rope (high tech) but one tel used to shout up to the bridge that a signal was on the way he would then duly cock his ass to the voice pipe fart and the officer on the bridge would recieve a different signal,, happy days..

Test Pilot
14th December 2007, 19:36
:biggrin:
the old system for sending signals to the bridge was a small 20mm shell on a rope (high tech) but one tel used to shout up to the bridge that a signal was on the way he would then duly cock his ass to the voice pipe fart and the officer on the bridge would recieve a different signal,, happy days..:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes I remember something similar in the mess after a big session. Farting competitions. A lighter was used to see who could make the biggest flame!

golden rivet
14th December 2007, 19:52
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes I remember something similar in the mess after a big session. Farting competitions. A lighter was used to see who could make the biggest flame!
life was a laugh every day on the sweepers as the close confines meant no escape to a cabin so even a quiet guy got involved and a sweeper crew stuck together and looked after each other

Test Pilot
14th December 2007, 20:22
life was a laugh every day on the sweepers as the close confines meant no escape to a cabin so even a quiet guy got involved and a sweeper crew stuck together and looked after each other
And thats exactly why people remember with such fondness. People looked after each other!

Jolly_Jack
15th December 2007, 04:36
Always felt that the sweepers were the best fun. Have fond memories of standing in my cabin (ok ok I know), just out of the shower, half dressed, with the D/Mech dipping the fuel tanks while sitting on my bunk, the bosun trying to get me to sigh some form or other, when the QM brought in an Army Captain in No.1's and introduced me as the OOD. Poor Capt. thought it was a scene from Blackadder.

AlanF
15th December 2007, 14:16
I remember the hi-tech laundry on the Sweepers.

The Shower, a Deck Scrubber that was used that morning to scrub the decks, water and carbolic soap, Really did the job on the jeans and Working Rig.

hptmurphy
16th December 2007, 00:55
I remember the hi-tech laundry on the Sweepers.

The Shower, a Deck Scrubber that was used that morning to scrub the decks, water and carbolic soap, Really did the job on the jeans and Working Rig.

Yeah sweepers were dreaded coming along side other ships as the laundry was hijacked.

Nail doown everything as these guys were a modern day rein arnation of pirates..everything that wasn't nailed down was subject to transfer.

OK who wants to discuss the Grainne incident in Waterford in about 1982..and why the naval service didn't return until 1986...

I think the local circiut judge described some of it as a riot..can rememeber some of the names in olved but won't mention them!

fred the red
16th December 2007, 01:39
So what happend

darkvader
16th December 2007, 13:30
that was the fola as for the grainne it was spotless you mean the executive branch moggy:smile:

Is therew anybody out there who rembers
he Grainne heading to dry dock(Dublin) we sailed by an Ameriann ship,out side the point we were towed to dublin think the year was early 1984

AlanF
16th December 2007, 15:39
The Sweepers were the best ships without a doubt. Onboard yes the conditions were bad, yes they were old, but as a crew member you surely learned a lot about your trade no matter what branch you were in because you had to improvise as things were always breaking down.

Yet they looked like a Naval Ship and performed like a Naval Ship, and the crew were a closely bonded lot, and sure raiding parties did go on when we came alongside say a PV to re-locate equipment, etc. but that was expected and to a certain degree accepted within reason.

I have put up some pictures in the Gallery (http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php) of Sweepers which should bring back some memories to those of you lucky enough to have served on these majestic ships.

Here is one of the Fola alongside

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3513&g2_serialNumber=1

Test Pilot
16th December 2007, 19:44
Yeah sweepers were dreaded coming along side other ships as the laundry was hijacked.

Nail doown everything as these guys were a modern day rein arnation of pirates..everything that wasn't nailed down was subject to transfer.

OK who wants to discuss the Grainne incident in Waterford in about 1982..and why the naval service didn't return until 1986...

I think the local circiut judge described some of it as a riot..can rememeber some of the names in olved but won't mention them!

Eh! mmmmmmm! I think I'll keep stum on this one.

hptmurphy
16th December 2007, 21:03
Spoilsport...lol

must have a guilty conscience all though I don't remember your name been mentioned specifically but some others instantly come to mind.

Test Pilot
16th December 2007, 22:32
Spoilsport...lol

must have a guilty conscience all though I don't remember your name been mentioned specifically but some others instantly come to mind.

No, I wasn't involved. In fact I didn't smell like any of the sweeper crews! You know that smell of 'stale diesel' and 'must' and mushrooms growing out of your boots and ears. A bit like 'Shrek'.
When guys went ashore doused with 'Bruit' or 4711 to mask the pong!:biggrin:

hptmurphy
16th December 2007, 23:21
Ah the scent of a sweeper..never matched

Goldie fish
19th December 2007, 00:32
The Sweepers were the best ships without a doubt. Onboard yes the conditions were bad, yes they were old, but as a crew member you surely learned a lot about your trade no matter what branch you were in because you had to improvise as things were always breaking down.

Yet they looked like a Naval Ship and performed like a Naval Ship, and the crew were a closely bonded lot, and sure raiding parties did go on when we came alongside say a PV to re-locate equipment, etc. but that was expected and to a certain degree accepted within reason.

I have put up some pictures in the Gallery (http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php) of Sweepers which should bring back some memories to those of you lucky enough to have served on these majestic ships.

Here is one of the Fola alongside

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3513&g2_serialNumber=1
Great photos in the Gallery there Alan.

moonstomper
25th December 2007, 04:22
Mech's Mess, Grainne, 1984
Not only your style got cramped.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10008.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/seamushilley/Scan10007.jpg

cha the tel
6th January 2008, 21:44
Great pictures ,great crew and Waterford was a blast in 82

Laners
14th February 2008, 22:37
The Baz in the background , I have the names of the rest anyone want to have a go ?

Laners
14th February 2008, 22:40
Thats me in the cap

hedgehog
14th February 2008, 23:13
Is that someones bed

GoneToTheCanner
15th February 2008, 01:11
Jeeeezus, that looks like a particularly scabby bedsit, circa 1979...far too much male flesh-on-flesh contact going on there...been at sea for too long, I'd say, when they're reduced to drinking their own piss and sleeping six to a bunk...
regards
GttC

Goldie fish
15th February 2008, 01:18
Is that someones bed

It was known as "messdecking". The sleeping and dining area were one and the same.

Test Pilot
15th February 2008, 11:05
It was known as "messdecking". The sleeping and dining area were one and the same.

Do I see Joey Foley and Seanie Burk there? Not sure about buttering my bread on that table. Never know what went on there the night before!:biggrin:

moggy
15th February 2008, 14:15
The Baz in the background , I have the names of the rest anyone want to have a go ?

p webster on deck

golden rivet
15th February 2008, 14:31
The Baz in the background , I have the names of the rest anyone want to have a go ?p webster .spud murphy .joe hickey. sean burke.

golden rivet
15th February 2008, 14:33
Thats me in the cap alfie doyle joe foley(beans) p webster. martin. h murphy

golden rivet
15th February 2008, 14:35
Jeeeezus, that looks like a particularly scabby bedsit, circa 1979...far too much male flesh-on-flesh contact going on there...been at sea for too long, I'd say, when they're reduced to drinking their own piss and sleeping six to a bunk...
regards
GttC we were a different breed then all plush cabins now and playstations....

hedgehog
15th February 2008, 19:28

thats so sweet

have a dinner

have a beer

and head to bed all without having to move to far

you guys were so lucky

in the Army

out Canteen was a walk away from the Dining Hall which was a further walk away

from our billets

you lucky so and so's

golden rivet
15th February 2008, 21:15
thats so sweet

have a dinner

have a beer

and head to bed all without having to move to far

you guys were so lucky

in the Army

out Canteen was a walk away from the Dining Hall which was a further walk away

from our billets

you lucky so and so's:smile: but hedge your canteen or bunks were not moving around..

hedgehog
16th February 2008, 12:56
:smile: but hedge your canteen or bunks were not moving around..

GR after a few beers

the whole world was moving around :biggrin:

what was the story if a lad wanted to go to bed and there was a session on

Laners
16th February 2008, 19:05
Well done Golden Rivet you got them all right , as your prize you can have my old sleeping bag see here on the lower bunk in Grainne's rec space .

Laners
16th February 2008, 19:15
Foley and Murphy trying to rig for minesweeping without the manual , and Grainne at sea .Can anyone spot something missing from the Starboard side ? .

Test Pilot
16th February 2008, 19:18
Foley and Murphy trying to rig for minesweeping without the manual , and Grainne at sea .Can anyone spot something missing from the Starboard side ? .

Where is the pic? Ah ! there it is now. Is the float missing?

Laners
16th February 2008, 20:33
I should have said Starboard side in the second pic . No it is not the float but it does float .

golden rivet
16th February 2008, 21:00
I should have said Starboard side in the second pic . No it is not the float but it does float . just the pictures i wanted to show the people i now work with how we lived...... does it begin with B.. This will give our non sweeper heads a chance....keep the pictures coming...as my head has to appear yet....

golden rivet
17th February 2008, 14:00
:biggrin:
GR after a few beers

the whole world was moving around :biggrin:

what was the story if a lad wanted to go to bed and there was a session on

:biggrin: usually everyone was involved but one side of the small mess was used for the issue of the few tins of that piss Tuborg everyone that i knew on the sweepers would drink it out of a wellie for you so it was rare to have anyone in bed. the nco in that mess had full control as a strict rule Abuse it and loose it was used at the time,,,:biggrin:

Jupiter
23rd February 2008, 19:05
Ah the sweepers what ships the best training ships the navy ever had you really
knew your seamanship after doing a spell on them.I tell you it was some sight to see the deck crew putting out a full sweep be it a double oropesa or combined towed acoustic in record time every man knowing what is part in the operation was.You had to know your stuff and they did.